Traditional Forms

champagne1982 said:
Single and two syllable words are far easier to fit iambically together.

Come to think of it, that makes sense. And the two syllable words have a natural accent which forces the one-syllable words into an iambic pattern.

For my part, Maria, I liked the content of your poem. I wonder though how old the person is you are writing about. I keep thinking of homeless people as old men, but I know they are children as well.

One site I've been to in the past is Sonnet Central (They still seem to be active.) Most of the people there are competent, some even published, who might offer you additional advice.

FifthFlower said:
Come to think of it, that makes sense. And the two syllable words have a natural accent which forces the one-syllable words into an iambic pattern.

For my part, Maria, I liked the content of your poem. I wonder though how old the person is you are writing about. I keep thinking of homeless people as old men, but I know they are children as well.

One site I've been to in the past is Sonnet Central (They still seem to be active.) Most of the people there are competent, some even published, who might offer you additional advice.

Thank youFlower:)

I appreciate your time reading my "sonnet". I have been here for nearly 5 years and never written one,mostly because I am anti-form in a way. ( anti in the way that I am afraid if I try, I will look miserably stupid and well, thats just silly, lol)

On another thread i said something which caused me to think, how dare I say things like that when I havent even attempted one, lol. I decided to stop being a hypocrit and at least try.

as for the person in the poem, it is no one in particular, just a collection of memories from people I have seen in my life, some I knew, some I didnt. and some people here know what its like, they just dont speak of it often.

I will look up your link, and thank you again. I will do my best to write one that is enjoyable and not so dark.

Champ told me maybe write about my froggies, but I dont live there anymore and well, I have no idea what they are up to lately ....

:rose:

m

Maria2394 said:
I appreciate your time reading my "sonnet". I have been here for nearly 5 years and never written one,mostly because I am anti-form in a way. ( anti in the way that I am afraid if I try, I will look miserably stupid and well, thats just silly, lol)

I might have the same problem with "free verse" or whatever it is called. But I don't have a stake in any of these issues to be "anti" anything.

However, I was thinking of trying some free form "poetry" here, since people seemed to be fairly easy-going. It would likely be more of a "prose poem" or flash fiction, which I kind of like. And it would definitely have a story line since I wouldn't trust it to be any good otherwise.

I slept through English classes. What I've picked up over the past 4 years of reading and writing comes from browsing through libraries, bookstores and the internet.

FifthFlower said:
I might have the same problem with "free verse" or whatever it is called. But I don't have a stake in any of these issues to be "anti" anything.

However, I was thinking of trying some free form "poetry" here, since people seemed to be fairly easy-going. It would likely be more of a "prose poem" or flash fiction, which I kind of like. And it would definitely have a story line since I wouldn't trust it to be any good otherwise.

I slept through English classes. What I've picked up over the past 4 years of reading and writing comes from browsing through libraries, bookstores and the internet.

Shush!

Don't sell yourself short. No one should do that.

It's not what you are taught; it's what you learn. My first years in college were a disaster; it wasn't until I grew up a little and took classes later, when I was at least 10 years older than others in class, that I started really learning. Then I dozed my way through and was acing most all I took.

But now I'm learning just as much {if not more} courtesy Google. It's not what you have to learn, but what you want to learn.

Sonnet on Infidelity

You tell yourself that you're not tired. The weight
insomnia lays on your body's light,
compared to guilt, and there is guilt. You fight
the feeling, ugly as it is, but fate
so coupled with your carnal need, your mate
was tossed aside, asea, and sheer excite-
ment then became your focus, fresh and bright,
with ever varied charms. It is too late
to change back now, so celebrate the new—
as seasons change, we change attachments, so
be joyful, be now liberal, be true.
Our politics so very rarely skew
that even love's more fickle. Proudly go
out in the world no longer red, but blue.

I find it funny that we Americans seem to have gotten the colors exactly backwards from both Canada and the UK, assuming that you would (roughly) equate Republican to Conservative and Democrat to Liberal/Labour. Doesn't change the poem, of course, so no matter.

had to do one in a graduate education class...

champagne1982 said:
I like acrostics since they force you to think about the starting words on each line. We normally concentrate so hard on our end words, that to get a good acrostic inside a good poem is an exercise non-pareil.

I had a professor who was trying to be original in her assignments, and assigned an acrostic for one unit. It ruined the form for me for a while, but seeing the ones in this thread makes me want to try.

For Valentine's Day

Unbidden, I come to you--an aching love
that seeks, from you, nothing more than making love.

With warm, whispered words I offer you myself,
anything to keep you from forsaking love.

I know how hard it can be to carry on;
it seems the world is bent on just taking love.

Just a smile brightens things considerably,
and our hearts simply cannot be faking love.

Let me not disturb you unwillingly,
or find we are mechanics of breaking love.

Sonnet for St. Valentine's Day
on the Complexities of Relationships
with Some Hints on Why They Work,
When They Do, Which Isn't Always

Some say that love is just another word
for lust or sex or want. I do not know
it is not that, but I can always show
you why for us it's more. It is absurd
to seriously think that I just lust.
I do lust, it is true. It's great, in fact.
My love's though also love—it's whole, intact,
when even touching you (and that I must),
I can't. Now, that is really something bad.
Your words (I am still talking to you, yes?)
are not themselves enough to satisfy.
And yet, without your words, I am just sad.
I need to talk to you. I cannot guess
your feelings. But your lusts? I poke. I pry.

Donald Trump Sings (Off-key) of Love

In love, we hope the other also loves,
and loves us frankly, steadily, and true,
and loves so well there's no remorse. No gloves
on hands or feet. I hope she also loves
me as I love her, firmly, even shoved
into the face of reason. Damn! It's true
in love we hope the other also loves.
I crave her body, beauty, and her youth.

A Lover's Preference

The painters love her curves and find
Her flesh enchants like art,
And, nude, her body's skin feels kind,
But lovers love her naked heart.

Back