VilleSonnet

Lauren Hynde said:
Being different from all others. What makes a sonnet a sonnet, however, is having 14 lines and obeying the sonnet's narrative structure. Everything else - rhyme, metre, rhythm, etc - is accessory.

Few understand about the narrative structure, but it is what makes the traditional ones come out best--using that progressive narration and summation. I thought about saying that, but it seemed too hard to explain. :D

Good work as usual. lol.

:kiss:

Angeline said:
Few understand about the narrative structure, but it is what makes the traditional ones come out best--using that progressive narration and summation. I thought about saying that, but it seemed too hard to explain. :D
I know. I thought about explaining it, but it was too hard, so I just mentioned it in the hopes someone else would. :D

:rose:

Lauren Hynde said:
I know. I thought about explaining it, but it was too hard, so I just mentioned it in the hopes someone else would. :D

:rose:

But we didn't!

Ok, does this make sense?

Quatrain 1: Statement of the subject to be sonnetized and reason for doing so, like

~Shall I compare thee to a summer's Day?
Thou art more ... ~

Quatrain 2: Details that extrapolate on Quatrain 1, tied to some narrative event.

Quatrain 3: Devil's advocate against hypothesis of Quatrain 1, resolved in lines 11 and 12.

Couplet: Pithy summary.

You understand that, right Lauren? Am I being too abstract again? lol.

Angeline said:
But we didn't!

Ok, does this make sense?

Quatrain 1: Statement of the subject to be sonnetized and reason for doing so, like

~Shall I compare thee to a summer's Day?
Thou art more ... ~

Quatrain 2: Details that extrapolate on Quatrain 1, tied to some narrative event.

Quatrain 3: Devil's advocate against hypothesis of Quatrain 1, resolved in lines 11 and 12.

Couplet: Pithy summary.

That's quite correct. :D

The Petrachan sonnet, of course, has a more gently slopped structure (4-4-3-3) - but with the same elements. And in addition to them, the last line of the last tercet is called the "golden key" and is not only supposed to contain the very essence of the poem, but it is usually the very best line in it. :D

Angeline said:

Good work as usual. lol.

:kiss:

Somehow I am missing posts. I did not see Lauren's. :( What narrative structure - We have the lines and stanzas?

I still would like to know what makes a sonnet unique, but I always ask this question from a semiotic or metaphorical view? Form is a given. Or ... is it? :|

CharleyH said:
Somehow I am missing posts. I did not see Lauren's. :( What narrative structure - We have the lines and stanzas?

I still would like to know what makes a sonnet unique, but I always ask this question from a semiotic or metaphorical view? Form is a given. Or ... is it? :|
Angeline explained it. Statement, development, contrariety, resolution, summary.

As for form being a given, as I said above, the only given thing is that it has 14 lines. ;)

Lauren Hynde said:
Angeline explained it. Statement, development, contrariety, resolution, summary.

As for form being a given, as I said above, the only given thing is that it has 14 lines. ;)

Is not a sonnet supposed to be 'personal'? What makes it unique other than form? :)

CharleyH said:
Is not a sonnet supposed to be 'personal'? What makes it unique other than form? :)

I've seen them person, intimate, and universal. Shakespeare's usually started on a personal note, then expanded to state some universal truth--but he pretty much wrote that way all the time.

CharleyH said:
What is personal? I guess that depends more on the poet than on the form (or lack thereof). ;)

Angeline said:
I've seen them person, intimate, and universal. Shakespeare's usually started on a personal note, then expanded to state some universal truth--but he pretty much wrote that way all the time.

So a sonnet must have a Universal truth?

;)

Lauren Hynde said:
What is personal? I guess that depends more on the poet than on the form (or lack thereof). ;)

Is there lack, therof - in sonnets?

The_Fool said:
Villa-Sonnet

Iambic Pentameter of course....

Lines A1 and A2 are repeated. A rhymes with A1 and A2. B doesn't.....:D

A1
B
B
A2
B
B
A1
A
B
B
A2
A
B
B
A1
A2
I found Fool's rules.:catgrin:
Now, do or do not, there is no try.:catroar:

champagne1982 said:
I found Fool's rules.:catgrin:
Now, do or do not, there is no try.:catroar:

I's a-workin' on it. Jus' be a litta while longer, dat's all.

<g>
(note to self, invest in rhyming dictionary)
<BG>

Finally, thanks for the BUMP<g>

Simpler Days

I look back on simpler days, and I find
myself wishing I had something concrete
to show, for all those days seem incomplete;
they're rose-colored mem'ries in my mind.
I have poems, photos, a scrapbook sheet,
random pieces of life ever so sweet.
regret for all the things I left behind,
whether undone, unsaid, or uncomplete,
they hide themselves to make my thoughts replete;
Although, it is more like I have been blind
to what my life was like during the heat
of work--trying my best to admit no defeat.

:cool:

Angeline said:

tell me more, oh sexy ... beast, erm GODESS?

Wow.. Brainy brains at work on this thread.
I *was* lost. Then I suddenly *got it*... yet, I am gonna keep my lil eggs all to myself on this one. Thanks for explaining it to me. It is a lotta fun, and very hmmmm... guess the word is educational yet interesting. Fun~!!!

Thank You all again~

:cathappy:

BUMP

I love this thread.
Another educational one, at its best.

Happy Writing ~

;)

Angeline said:
Roosevelt Drive-In

In the days of Daddy's red Valiant then.
In the very back under darkening
sky, hiss crackle began. We heard them sing
Fresh Popcorn! Cold Ice Cream! Remember when
the stars switched on, the playground off, the swing
quieted? We were hushed, the film began
in the days of Daddy's red Valiant then,
in the days I recall at nine or ten
candles on my birthday cake, hope and prayer
on sale there at the gray concession stand.
In the days of Daddy's red Valiant then,
fresh popcorn, cold ice cream, Remember when
we weren't ghosts? The pillows underhead?
When Jimmy Stewart said Sleep now, children?
In the days of Daddy's red Valiant then.
Fresh popcorn, ice cream bars, Remember when?

Ville Sonnet? This got bumped so, hm :D Can I pick through it, Ang? Public? Private? Let me know. :)

Back