Whartenberg Wheel

WynEternal said:
Is that the wheel in a sewing kit?

Yes the one in the sewing kit has smaller spikes. However some of the metal ones can be sharp, so you have to make sure that you clean it good.

Since the original wheel is a medical device, it is manufactured to be autoclaved.

Ebonyfire said:
Yes the one in the sewing kit has smaller spikes. However some of the metal ones can be sharp, so you have to make sure that you clean it good.

Since the original wheel is a medical device, it is manufactured to be autoclaved.

Thank you, Eb. :) I've never thought about that before.

WynEternal said:
Is that the wheel in a sewing kit?
Yes, the wheel in a sewing kit. Just make sure it's not the cutting wheel. That could leave something more than just an impression. ;)

entitled said:
Yes, the wheel in a sewing kit. Just make sure it's not the cutting wheel. That could leave something more than just an impression. ;)

LOL, but some people LIKE that
Seriously, I've seen some peopel sub the sewing wheel but the handling & feel aren't the same :D
Not that one's better, they're just not the SAME

James G 5 said:
Seriously, I've seen some peopel sub the sewing wheel but the handling & feel aren't the same :D

What's the difference? Okay, so my curiousity is really perking rignt now. :D

WynEternal said:
What's the difference? Okay, so my curiousity is really perking rignt now. :D

The tracing wheel feels different on the skin, it's a more shallow sensation if that makes any sense.

I have both of them, hadn't thought of it before, but it would be interesting to be blindfolded and then have them be used interchangably...... the not knowing which sensation was coming.

James G 5 said:
Guess some people are crazier than i am, then. Last time i used a cutting wheel i nearly lost the tip of my finger. :rolleyes:

OK, then, that second part answered the question i didn't word right. Thanks! :)

entitled said:
Guess some people are crazier than i am, then. Last time i used a cutting wheel i nearly lost the tip of my finger. :rolleyes:

*shudders unhappily* meet one of my hard limits. don't do anything to my hands! i could say "it's because i'm an artist, i sculpt, paint and draw, my hands are the only connection between my soul and reality" and while that bit about being an artist is true, i'm just super squeamish about cuts on my hands! the way they open and close every time i move them, it's just UCK!

James G 5 said:

<snip>

And knives are a real psychological trust game..........I am putting something that could KILL you up against your throat
Obviously you trust me if you let me do it, but there's still that thrill of (safe) fear there
For me, it's a heightening of focus..........Being clumsy with a single tail can injure, being clumsy with a knife can kill, so I HAVE to be super focused
You can play all sorts of mind games..........I can show someone a sharp knife, press it to her throat so she feels how sharp it is, then go behind her back & pick up a thin metal ruler that's in ice.....it's super cold and drips water down her back, feels JUST like being cut open
Geez, I can go on & on here............

Yes, trust and control. I have used a knife once, in a cinema to cut off an ex's g-string.

It's something I'd like to try again. To know she trusts me to that extent, to feel the heightened sense of awareness needed not to make a BAD mistake. I'd love that.

Your metal ruler trick gives me the serious heeby-geebys though as I once was unfortunate enough to get stabbed in the back. Ouch ;)

bump

Can these things be bought locally, like in your hometown or only from BDSM supply houses?

Re: bump

tr65 said:
Can these things be bought locally, like in your hometown or only from BDSM supply houses?

The tracing wheels can be bought anywhere you find fabric and sewing supplies.

A medical supply store would probably have Wartenberg wheels.

It's 'Wartenberg wheel' (or 'pinwheel') by the way, in case you're looking at legit medical suppliers.

Named after neurologist Robert Wartenberg. born 1887.

J.

Hmmmm....

I'm thinking I may have to bring that pounce wheel (another name for the sewing type) upstairs from my paint kit next time someone visits... ;) and tell him to be GENTLE with it... :p

As a Dom, I do enjoy using the Wartenberg wheel very much.

I bought mine from the Stockroom also. One nitpicky note... always check your wheel for free movement. Mine had a burr on the metal at the base of the fork that held the wheel, which caused several spikes to become bent. A simple jewelers file took care of the issue.

The wheel is definitely sharp enough to draw blood, although IMO it is best used with control and constraint, more as a teaser than anything else. There is nother finer than your sub being tied down spreadeagled and blindfolded on a bed, and running the spikes of the wheel around the aureola or the labia (or any other hyper-sensitive part of their body :devil: )

watergirl said:
Hmmmm....

I'm thinking I may have to bring that pounce wheel (another name for the sewing type) upstairs from my paint kit next time someone visits... ;) and tell him to be GENTLE with it... :p

As a signmaker we use "pounce wheels" to make a pattern . We draw on large paper. run the "pounce wheel" over it. It places small holes in the paper then we use a chalk type of powder and tap it thur leaving the outline of what you want on the sign or wall.

Pounce wheels cab be found in art suppy stores and are a little smaller but work well also. Sign suppy house also carry them.
There are one of the two in every town.;)

I'd underscore what's been mentioned by only a couple,
including James G 5 and Lark. The wheel is not intended to puncture, but with a little too much pressure, draws blood. Hence risk of transmission of things like hepatitis, if not cleaned.

One medical site, in fact, said that drs no long use the wheel, and suggested drs using sterile safety pins for 'prick testing.' There ARE bugs that survive boiling. Are recent article about 'Mad Cow Disease' --caught by a British lad of 18 (Jacob Creutzfeld disease)--- discussed its being carried in 'prions'--smaller than viruses-- and stated that they can survive immersion in formaldehyde.

I recently discussed the problem of sterilizing implements with a dr. He said that short of the autoclave (or pressure cooker) for a half hour, the only thing he could think of would be a good long immersion, overnight, in glutaraldehyde. Haven't gone looking for it, however.

I was disappointed to find out (a while ago) that the Stockroom had them for so cheap...I paid $30 for mine at The Leather Rack a few years ago! (I bought it in their store, rather than online...if it had been online I'd have shopped around!)

The feeling of having it rolled over skin recently spanked with a leather slapper was intense. He would roll it down my spine, which would make me arch my back even more. It would then come across the places the slapper had hit. He kept varying the pressure, or at least it felt like it. The sting from the wheel coupled with the sting of the spanked skin was so different...a slow burn with all these little sharp needle-like quick stings.

It was something i'd love for Him to use again.

~anelize

and it was only 12 bucks at the Stockroom!

Loved it Loved It Loved it

I would suggust the pinwheel to anyone it was nice to see the reaction it brought. And the vampire gloves was great too.:)

Pure said:
I'd underscore what's been mentioned by only a couple,
including James G 5 and Lark. The wheel is not intended to puncture, but with a little too much pressure, draws blood. Hence risk of transmission of things like hepatitis, if not cleaned.

One medical site, in fact, said that drs no long use the wheel, and suggested drs using sterile safety pins for 'prick testing.' There ARE bugs that survive boiling. Are recent article about 'Mad Cow Disease' --caught by a British lad of 18 (Jacob Creutzfeld disease)--- discussed its being carried in 'prions'--smaller than viruses-- and stated that they can survive immersion in formaldehyde.

I recently discussed the problem of sterilizing implements with a dr. He said that short of the autoclave (or pressure cooker) for a half hour, the only thing he could think of would be a good long immersion, overnight, in glutaraldehyde. Haven't gone looking for it, however.

Boiling combined with bleach immersion even?
And nothing I've read about prions suggest they can transmit, where'd you find that article?
I am always intersted to know more....

James G 5 said:
Boiling combined with bleach immersion even?
And nothing I've read about prions suggest they can transmit, where'd you find that article?
I am always intersted to know more....

I don't know what article Pure referred to, but here are the CDC guidelines for infection control to prevent the spread of CJD (otherwise known as mad cow disease).

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/cjd/cjd_inf_ctrl_qa.htm

I stopped in at Purple Passion this weekend and chatted with one of the cashiers about the wheel. She said a lot of people end up paying too much because they don't shop around, which is exactly what happened to me.

Prions are definitely believed to be transmissable, thus transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE) and related BSE, TME, CJD etc. Obviously also able to cross species, so don't pinwheel any euro-cows.

Glutaraldehyde is used as a tanning agent as well as a disinfecant, and can be had from tanners and leather work suppliers, but is a nasty oily dangerous chemical.

Prions can be destroyed by anything that attacks protien chains at a chemical level, so warm ammonium based disinfectants will do it, or just don't scene with cows, minks, monkeys, CJD sufferers or Brits.

incubus_dark said:
Prions are definitely believed to be transmissable, thus transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE) and related BSE, TME, CJD etc. Obviously also able to cross species, so don't pinwheel any euro-cows.

Glutaraldehyde is used as a tanning agent as well as a disinfecant, and can be had from tanners and leather work suppliers, but is a nasty oily dangerous chemical.

Prions can be destroyed by anything that attacks protien chains at a chemical level, so warm ammonium based disinfectants will do it, or just don't scene with cows, minks, monkeys, CJD sufferers or Brits.

there goes that milkmaid scene *sigh*
Anything else that can go thru prions we should know about?

James G 5 said:
there goes that milkmaid scene *sigh*
Anything else that can go thru prions we should know about?

Prions are a pretty new area of research, so not alot is really known yet, but it is thought that they may be responsible for a host of ills for which no cause has ever been pinpointed (bad pun) including several forms of cancer.

Back