When Emotions Get in the Way

Angeline-

I don't think you have ever written an ineffectual poem, if you have, I haven't read it.

You are a patient women when it comes to that submit button, aren't ya?

:)

Aww you just love me. And I love you, too, but I've written some remarkably bad poems. I do try not to hold those babies up to the light of day, but some of them are definitely here. But yeah I just hate it when I submit a poem and then see some glaring boo boo in it. :D

Sometimes emotion gets in the way of writing a good poem [...]
Emotion never gets in the way of writing (unless it makes you incapable of writing at all). It is the artistic ignorance, in particular making a big deal of one's own or anybody's emotions, e.g. labeling them, which produces lousy writing. Emotions and mood are helpful. Just don't spell them out explicitly.

But I see some people write, work their asses off, take a perfectly good poem and edit the life out of it and then it becomes fiction, it is ruined.

I know exactly what you mean and it happens in all forms of artistic expression. A photographer friend had a perfect portfolio of heart-wrenching photographs from the Crossroads squatter camp in South Africa during the Apartheid era. Then he got a bee in his bonnet about perfection and enlarged his photographs on all sorts of different photographic papers adjusting gamma curves and graphing densitometer readings. The pictures got better and better until one day I looked at his most recent set and realized that the humanity of his pictures had fled and we were left with paper marked with photographic silver in carefully arranged shades of grey. As you put it, his warm and touching pictures had become fiction rather than a means of understanding reality.

Last edited:
I hate when someone says "I write from the heart." They'd produce a better poem by ripping out the heart and writing with it.
Really? Even in those big, smeary, red letters? :rolleyes:

I don't mind people "writ[ing] from the heart." I almost think it's essential--the writer has to be committed to what they are writing to be successful. What I generally don't care for are poems written by people who want to say something like "these feelings just spilled out of me onto paper." That usually seems to mean something like I'm feeling overwrought and just core-dumped a lot of very personal feelings onto paper and have no intention of trying to structure that in any way to make it somehow relevant to a reader other than myself and perhaps a few close friends but, dammit, these are feelings from my very SOUL and you're a complete asshole if you say anything the least critical about it. Oh, I welcome your comments.

When I read someone's poem, what I am interested in (as a poem) is how it affects me, what it makes me feel or think. I want to feel empathetic not sympathetic. I want to learn something about me through your telling me something about your experience, thoughts, feelings.

Now, I might care about you (the writer) personally, or at least as personally as one can get on a public bulletin board where everyone posts pseudonymously, but that's a different thing. It's more equivalent to a conversation or phone call with a friend. It's a personal emotion, not an artistic one.

For me, a case in point is Donald Hall's book Without, which is a series of very grim and sad poems Hall wrote about the death of his wife Jane Kenyon from cancer. Cried my way through the whole damn book.

But why I liked it was not that I felt for Hall. It was because I identified with his experience--by experiencing the death of his wife through his experience. Why Shakespeare works. Or Greek tragedy.

Hmmm. I see I've been ranting again, so I'll stop. (Eve said I could, though.)

Interesting thread, though. Carry on.

Emotion never gets in the way of writing (unless it makes you incapable of writing at all). It is the artistic ignorance, in particular making a big deal of one's own or anybody's emotions, e.g. labeling them, which produces lousy writing. Emotions and mood are helpful. Just don't spell them out explicitly.
I guess a poem shouldn't spell out anything explicitly, right?

I don't mind people "writ[ing] from the heart." I almost think it's essential--the writer has to be committed to what they are writing to be successful. What I generally don't care for are poems written by people who want to say something like "these feelings just spilled out of me onto paper." That usually seems to mean something like I'm feeling overwrought and just core-dumped a lot of very personal feelings onto paper and have no intention of trying to structure that in any way to make it somehow relevant to a reader other than myself and perhaps a few close friends but, dammit, these are feelings from my very SOUL and you're a complete asshole if you say anything the least critical about it. Oh, I welcome your comments.

When I read someone's poem, what I am interested in (as a poem) is how it affects me, what it makes me feel or think. I want to feel empathetic not sympathetic. I want to learn something about me through your telling me something about your experience, thoughts, feelings.

Now, I might care about you (the writer) personally, or at least as personally as one can get on a public bulletin board where everyone posts pseudonymously, but that's a different thing. It's more equivalent to a conversation or phone call with a friend. It's a personal emotion, not an artistic one.

For me, a case in point is Donald Hall's book Without, which is a series of very grim and sad poems Hall wrote about the death of his wife Jane Kenyon from cancer. Cried my way through the whole damn book.

But why I liked it was not that I felt for Hall. It was because I identified with his experience--by experiencing the death of his wife through his experience. Why Shakespeare works. Or Greek tragedy.

Far from a rant, I think this is the whole point. The work of art takes on a life of its own working its effect, successfully or otherwise, independently of its creator.

Now I want to see a poem that contains the expression "core-dumped" and listed under erotic poetry.

Hi Tzara :)

Ranting? Nah....sharing... thank you.

When you, or anyone, posts like this, with his or her thoughts on why they write, it is to me, wonderful. Thank you for the insight on how your mind works. It helps with my writing in the respect that I am more aware of what certain types of content achieve in terms of human affect.

I love the way that you phrased it...empathetic instead of sympathetic. Involvement with a work is important, on whatever level it gets the reader to react. Hopefully with some new understanding, or revelation of some importance.

:rose:

I know exactly what you mean and it happens in all forms of artistic expression. A photographer friend had a perfect portfolio of heart-wrenching photographs from the Crossroads squatter camp in South Africa during the Apartheid era. Then he got a bee in his bonnet about perfection and enlarged his photographs on all sorts of different photographic papers adjusting gamma curves and graphing densitometer readings. The pictures got better and better until one day I looked at his most recent set and realized that the humanity of his pictures had fled and we were left with paper marked with photographic silver in carefully arranged shades of grey. As you put it, his warm and touching pictures had become fiction rather than a means of understanding reality.

Good morning :)

I want to thank you for sharing this example of how a person can edit to destruction. I hadn't thought of it in terms of photography, but that is an excellent description of how your friend edited the humanity form his photos. i hope he was able to somehow keep the originals? I am a novice photographer, so if that sounds silly, I apologize.

Good example, thanks again for sharing. Now I will be able to use that perspective in other things I do.

:)

If I took any bit emotion out of my poems they wouldn't exist. It's the editing afterwards that makes it more palatable to readers.

If I took any bit emotion out of my poems they wouldn't exist. It's the editing afterwards that makes it more palatable to readers.
Emotion is fine. A poem controlled by emotion and written while you're emotionally out of control may turn out not to be that great. I don't think you have anything to worry about, though. Your emotional poems show talent and skill and don't come across as overly emotional.

Your emotional poems show talent and skill and don't come across as overly emotional.
Only because I edited a bit before posting. However, you gets the whole pot of soup—chicken bones, too much salt and all in the Suddenly Passion thread. :D

Only because I edited a bit before posting. However, you gets the whole pot of soup—chicken bones, too much salt and all in the Suddenly Passion thread. :D

"Passion!"

Say it with explosive passion.
Whisper it, even; it still holds passionate power.

Editing is good, essential even. It's true that one can edit the poetry right out of a poem and make it sterile. But underediting ain't the answer, either. :)

I guess a poem shouldn't spell out anything explicitly, right?
Almost, but such a statement requires some additional comments or else it may be misleading and cause bad writing.

By spelling out I mean mainly spelling out abstract general statements, conclusions, opinions, etc. But you are right that there is also the other side of the coin. When, say, in erotic poems authors spell out anatomy then it is unpleasant to me--I like the intimate to stay intimate. If a literotician wrote:

I licked her clit so well
that next she sucked my dick enthusiastically
then I'd get bored, it would be a turn off. In the past it would disgust me despite the fact that the real event like this would be erotic, sexual and possibly even romantic. But writing like this explicitly takes away the whole intimacy and possible uniqueness of the encounter. (After all, the anatomy and physiology have their limitation which mostly precludes uniqueness and originality).

On the other hand, the principle of not spelling out things should be understood properly: a poem should not be a puzzle, meaning that straightforward things should stay straightforward and should not be written in a way which requires any tricky guessing etc. If a poem is difficult to grasp it should be only for profound reasons, because it is deep. But one should not take a simple, easy matter and turn it into something superficially difficult to understand. That's not what poetry is about. We should make things EXTRA EASY, extra clear, we should open the reader's eyes rather than throwing salt and pepper into her/his eyes. However, poems may be so deep that they may still require time to understand them more fully, more fully with every consecutive reading (good poems may make you read them more than once).

(BTW, I was glad, Eve, that you liked one of my erotic poems--thank you; the poem was erotic, I believe, but it had not even one dirty nor anatomy word.)

Regards,

Last edited:
Almost, but such a statement requires some additional comments or else it may be misleading and cause bad writing.

By spelling out I mean mainly spelling out abstract general statements, conclusions, opinions, etc. But you are right that there is also the other side of the coin. When, say, in erotic poems authors spell out anatomy then it is unpleasant to me--I like the intimate to stay intimate. If a literotician wrote:

then I'd get bored, it would be a turn off. In the past it would disgust me despite the fact that the real event like this would be erotic, sexual and possibly even romantic. But writing like this explicitly takes away the whole intimacy and possible uniqueness of the encounter. (After all, the anatomy and physiology have their limitation which mostly precludes uniqueness and originality).

On the other hand, the principle of not spelling out things should be understood properly: a poem should not be a puzzle, meaning that straightforward things should stay straightforward and should not be written in a way which requires any tricky guessing etc. If a poem is difficult to grasp it should be only for profound reasons, because it is deep. But one should not take a simple, easy matter and turn it into something superficially difficult to understand. That's not what poetry is about. We should make things EXTRA EASY, extra clear, we should open the reader's eyes rather than throwing salt and pepper into her/his eyes. However, poems may be so deep that they may still require time to understand them more fully, more fully with every consecutive reading (good poems may make you read them more than once).

(BTW, I was glad, Eve, that you liked one of my erotic poems--thank you; the poem was erotic, I believe, but it had not even one dirty nor anatomy word.)

Regards,

These are good points.

But I found myself curious. I agree that your sample lines would truly suck, and that they hold no real poetry or eroticism. So how would you rewrite or communicate that pair of lines you used as an example?

Pure curiosity. I have been following this thread with interest but I haven't really had time to contribute yet. Maybe next week...

bj

Molten mons melts
around Vesuvius
until lava erupts

how would you rewrite or communicate that pair of lines you used as an example?
Champagne has provided a partial answer or rather a tool: metaphoric images. They may, in general, seem artificial, cliched, silly or even snobbish though. Equally important is that the images are organic, which in particular means that they are well integrated with the rest of the poem. The material for the poem's net of the word-bridges, which turn poem into one, consists of images, meanings and the quality of sound.

Back