Where is Tony Blair when you need him?

TheEarl said:
[B It's not xenophobia, it's just a complete disgust for foreigners and their filthy ways. The Earl [/B]

What a lovely thought. No wonder there are so many anglophobes.
MG

Re: ouch...

Ricochet said:
Meant no offense.

Consider me gone.

No!! come back we like you really, as Earl says we're just a crazy mixed up bunch, dialects and accents change within 20 miles in UK, less in some places, step over a county border and a whole new language exists, new words and terms. In Oxford City 8 miles from here, they say, "Well bugger me yes", (That doesn't really mean they like it up the shit locker, although a lot do), here in my bit of Oxfordshire, the real locals would say "Buggered'ahh".

See ya: pops........:D

thanks, pop

There is so much anti-americanism around, I didn't want to contribute.

I had assumed the author's hangout was the place to go for friendly advice on writing skills.

I have been to much of Britain, save Wales. I'm one of those one note scholars who knows a lot about one small subject, so I get to visit many places to give my little talk.

I enjoy London, have two daughters there right now.

So I remain a true Anglophile, cheap shots notwithstanding.

Re: thanks, pop

Ricochet said:
There is so much anti-americanism around, I didn't want to contribute.

I had assumed the author's hangout was the place to go for friendly advice on writing skills.

I have been to much of Britain, save Wales. I'm one of those one note scholars who knows a lot about one small subject, so I get to visit many places to give my little talk.

I enjoy London, have two daughters there right now.

So I remain a true Anglophile, cheap shots notwithstanding.

If you ever get really stuck for UK slang and phrases drop me a PM, I'll help if I can with our local stuff.

TheEarl said:
[Bthe sheer number of accents and slangs around England is unbelievable. It's not as though we all speak the 'I say old man, what?' or Dick van Dyke Mockney. Scouser, Brummie, Manc, Geordie, Cockney, Essex boy, West Country, etc.

The Earl [/B]

I thought Dick Van Dick spoke australian in Mary Poppins, like Daphne's brother in Frazier.

And of course what Earl and everyone else will always avoid mentioning, anyone south of Nottingham can't tell the difference between any northern county accents, They all come under the term 'Northern' ('cept scouse which is really Irish anyway).

The main reason is that the most famous poet/dramatist in the world ever, wrote his verse in the language still extant in the largest county in the Kingdom and they're really jealous.

Try reading Shakespear with a Yorkshire accent in mind and it makes a lot more sense.

Gauche

You can always tell a Yorkshireman, but not much.

Sorry Ricochet. Didn't mean to jump down your throat. The rant wasn't directed at you; I just have an issue with some Americans who have a very stereotyped view of England.

I hope I haven't offended you too much with a poor choice of words. Remember always that if I say something that can be interpreted two ways and one of those offends you, I meant the other one. I very rarely aim to be nasty to people and I apologise if you thought I was being snippy at you.

The Earl

Good man, Earl

Apology accepted . Gracious of you to adjust your remarks.

When I read your post, I was thinking of putting you over my knee and giving you a spanking. But I thought you might assume that I was in love with you.

Watch over my two daughters and 4 grandchildren that are under your government's protection as we speak.

Stereotype, schmerotype

TheEarl said:
I just have an issue with some Americans who have a very stereotyped view of England.The Earl

I certainly don't have a stereotypical view of the British. I do think, though, that those bowler hats they all wear look silly.
MG

Re: Stereotype, schmerotype

MathGirl said:
I certainly don't have a stereotypical view of the British. I do think, though, that those bowler hats they all wear look silly.
MG

How dare you, there's nothing wrong with my Bowler hat, or any of my other hats.

Yours Faithfully, Mr Angry, of Lower Tingewick.

You know what I mean though. It's like in Independence day, when they show the British they say something like: "I say, apparently the Americans have got something." "About bloody time, what?" Or in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where every Englishman is posh and every sight of England is of green fields despite the fact that this is one of the most overindustrialised countries in the world.

It just seems very patronising.

The Earl

Patronizyngismosity

TheEarl said:
It just seems very patronising.The Earl

Dear Earl,
Sometimes there are things that just need patronizing.

Besides, you Brits spending your weekends riding horses chasing foxes, blowing horns, and wearing silly riding outfits seems ridiculous.

MG

Re: Patronizyngismosity

MathGirl said:
Dear Earl,

MG

You should know how we portray you Yankee Doodles behind your back...:D

Why try to write in British English?

We do understand American, but the English don't necessarily understand the Scots, the Welsh, those from Ulster or anyone more than 10 kilometres from where we live.

My favourite "Scottish" term is for giving oral to a lady "Growling at the Badger."

Billy Connelly is fond of that term.
Any video of his shows would give you a post-graduate education in British sexual terminology.

Re: Patronizyngismosity

MathGirl said:
Dear Earl,

Besides, you Brits spending your weekends riding horses chasing foxes, blowing horns, and wearing silly riding outfits seems ridiculous.

MG

I don't chase Foxes, I'm not into that sort of thing, now a pussy that's different, and I don't blow my horn it makes my neck ache too much.

pops................Long live the English nationalists.

Re: Variety is the spice of life

Ricochet said:
I was just thinking. What would the U.S. be like if the French hadn't sold us Louisiana?
As Marie Antoinette is famously misreport to have said, "If it hadn't been for that unfortunate affair of the Tower of Babel, everyone would speak French."

gauchecritic said:
The main reason is that the most famous poet/dramatist in the world ever, wrote his verse in the language still extant in the largest county in the Kingdom and they're really jealous.

Are you talking about Monty Python?
MG

Re: Yep

pop_54 said:
Better than me at it.

I was just reading Popser's Playground, and noticed the similarity between 3 letters. I'm clever that way. Now, am I going to get a chuckle every time I open a QUILT magazine, or are you going to deny all knowledge of said Playground..?

Morris Garage

TheEarl said:
I just have an issue with some Americans who have a very stereotyped view of England.
The Earl

I have an English car. Does that make me an Anglophile? When I cuss at it, does that make me an Anglophobe?
MG

International

I drink my Brazilian coffee Arabian-style, with cardamom in it. I put English marmelade on my toast. I take off my Persian pyjama, and put on my American jeans and my Indian cotton blouse, before I turn on my Japanese stereo and listen to Swedish rock music...

Re: International

Svenskaflicka said:
I drink my Brazilian coffee Arabian-style, with cardamom in it. I put English marmelade on my toast. I take off my Persian pyjama, and put on my American jeans and my Indian cotton blouse, before I turn on my Japanese stereo and listen to Swedish rock music...

That means you're a Mexican. Buenos Dias. Como esta?
MG

Back