• smithpeter

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • tigerjen

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • WriterDom

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
Redwave, before I sleep.

I do not emphasize the technical over the aesthetic. With most poetry on the net one is lucky to catch enough of a breeze to move a few hair folicles. I agree with you that the intangible is the most important part. Where we may differ is that my head stays on most of the time. Some folks flip for anyting.

Poets do not get better without learning the skill of writing. The emotion, the heart as it were is a constant. Only with more skill can a poet adequitely express the intangible, and approach the talent to produce enough wind to blow off one heads. Without some technical ability a poet can barley generate a fart.

By the way Dear Emily was quite the technician with poetry. Of course she wrote some bad ones. But oddly enough her best loved are her most flawless

U.P.

Last edited:
Elegant doubletalk

Yeah, ole UP's got a way with words, all right. But if you pay attention to what he's saying, you realize he's backtracked, and in fact contradicted himself. Earlier he said "Evaluating poetry is not subjective at all." That statement is, of course, ludicrous on its face-- evaluating poetry inherently involves an element of subjectivity. You can't measure the worth of a poem on a dial or gauge. Now, however, realizing his original position was untenable, he says "I agree with you that the intangible is the most important part" [of poetry]. Evaluating the intangible is necessarily subjective.

BTW, although Storm appears to be clearly the most popular poet on Lit. (surprise, surprise), there's a fascinating battle going on for third place. Judo, KillerMuffin, RisiaSkye, and smithpeter are all tied with 2 votes, just a cunt hair behind daughter with three. (Sorry, couldn't resist that one.) KM & J-gal-- you were both pretty self-deprecating about your poetry, but obviously both of you are someone's (at least two someone's) favorite poet at Lit!

Update

Now it's a 5 way tie! WriterDom has joined the pack. Come on now, I know there are some HomerPindar fans out there. I want to see everybody get at least one vote!

Back