A stupid law

Well, now waitaminute, waitaminute. We do outlaw nudity and that includes partial nudity. There are indecency laws which, whether you agree with them or not, are not thought of as "fashion police" laws even thought they essentially are. For example, I sincerely doubt I could go walking around downtown in a thong and pasties even if they are covering up the essential bits that would make me "decent" at a beach or strip club.

Why isn't it "fashion police" and not-laughable if I can be arrested for walking around in a thong and a pasties, but it is laughable or "fashion police" if we make a law that teens can show their underwear?

What I'm saying is, people have always had "decency" laws which are, in essence, fashion police laws. Why should this one--or one in certain countries mandating that women cover their shoulders or heads for that matter--be mocked with some "fashion police" label when those others are not? It isn't, as I read it, over-sized pants are legal, it's letting those pants sag low enough to flash the underwear that's illegal. If that's the case...why can't a city consider it indecent for a guy to flash his underwear in public?

Now, of course, this law should also include those guys who wear pants that end up showing off their butt cracks. So if someone wants to argue that there is discrimination going on because white guys showing off butt cracks aren't getting arrested, while minority teens flashing underwear are, then I'd certainly say there's something bias in the law and it was very wrong. But so far as I can tell, it's only wrong in the way that any indecency law is wrong--that is, it makes people cover up certain things that a majority finds indecent.

If some guy has his pants hanging low and has nothing on under them, that could be considered indecent. If he is fully covered, how can that be described as indecent? It's strictly a matter of skin. Women can have their nipples protrude through flimsy t-shirts and show cameltoes, and get away with it. Please do not take that last sentence as a complaint.
 
No, certain things SHOULD be outlawed.

I don't care about the kids - it's the 50 something year old guy, with pot belly, that dresses like that AND thinks he looks cool. The clothes don't bother me - it the lack of fashion sense that's a crime!

Personally, I'm not a fan of fashion in general. It breed conformity. However, I dislike the poor taste on their part. Not to mention how disgusting it is to see some other guy's undies. I don't care if they look like Adonis. Tighty whity briefs just plain gross me out....and I'm bi! But then, I'm more of a commando kind of guy.

Or maybe I just don't like sloppiness.
 
Last edited:
Personally, I'm not a fan of fashion in general. It breed conformity. However, I dislike the poor taste on their part. Not to mention how disgusting it is to see some other guy's undies. I don't care if they look like Adonis. Tighty whity briefs just plain gross me out....and I'm bi! But then, I'm more of a commando kind of guy.

Or maybe I just don't like sloppiness.

I don't think anybody is actually defending wearing baggy pants and showing off underwear. It is ugly, but it shouldn't be illegal. :mad:
 
My big problem with a law like this has nothing to do with policing fashion and possibly infringing on First Amendment rights and what-not, rather it has to do with one question: DO THESE TOWNS HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN ARREST KIDS FOR SAGGING THEIR PANTS?! Seriously...there are much, much worse things that towns have to worry about than that. And we certainly don't need this added to our already badly-overcrowded-and-poorly-run prison system. Good god almighty.
 
I don't think anybody is actually defending wearing baggy pants and showing off underwear. It is ugly, but it shouldn't be illegal. :mad:

True. I'm a Libertarian on most issues, no matter how stupid or ugly the problem might be. LOL.

I'm guessing that the bill's sponsors are Republicans, right? :devil:
 
My big problem with a law like this has nothing to do with policing fashion and possibly infringing on First Amendment rights and what-not, rather it has to do with one question: DO THESE TOWNS HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN ARREST KIDS FOR SAGGING THEIR PANTS?! Seriously...there are much, much worse things that towns have to worry about than that. And we certainly don't need this added to our already badly-overcrowded-and-poorly-run prison system. Good god almighty.

Lest we forget those adolescent scofflaws on skateboards...and the ones with the window rattling sound systems in their tuner Honda Civics...run 'em all in and make the streets safe for the straight-laced, pucker-butt 'average' citizens. :rolleyes:

They're kids for chrissake!
 
Lest we forget those adolescent scofflaws on skateboards...and the ones with the window rattling sound systems in their tuner Honda Civics...run 'em all in and make the streets safe for the straight-laced, pucker-butt 'average' citizens. :rolleyes:

They're kids for chrissake!

Kids in terrible need for parental discipline, not incarceration.
 
Kids in terrible need for parental discipline, not incarceration.

Point taken. In reality however, most parents have bought them the (insert latest fad, gadget or gimmick here) to get them out of their hair.

We all rebelled to one extent or another in our youth; I was no angel, that's for sure. It's part of growing and becoming an adult. Let kids be kids for a while, they'll be adults with all the attendant problems soon enough. ;)
 
Point taken. In reality however, most parents have bought them the (insert latest fad, gadget or gimmick here) to get them out of their hair.

We all rebelled to one extent or another in our youth; I was no angel, that's for sure. It's part of growing and becoming an adult. Let kids be kids for a while, they'll be adults with all the attendant problems soon enough. ;)

Or sooner than they'd like! :D
 
I think we need a bounty on teenagers. God knows people can use the money, and the kids would be easy to catch, with their pants down around their ankles.
 
I have no problem with the fads and fashions, think its stupid and goofy-looking, but realize thats a personal opinion.

What I have a problem with is the mindset and "statement" these these kids are making, which seems to go way beyond rebelling against authority or being outrageous.

I saw a very young kid shuffling along in a parking lot, his sweatpants were held up, or down, with both hands to what he considered to be an acceptable level. The crotch of his sweatpants was below his knees forcing him to kind of waddle along with a sideways gait.

I thought it was funny.

Remarking to my 12 year old niece that fashions were strange these days she told me what she never would have, had her parents been in the car. That the very young 12 or 13 year old male was making the statement that he likes to bust heads and bang bitches.

It wasn't funny no more.

:rose:
 
Lisa Denton said:
That the very young 12 or 13 year old male was making the statement that he likes to bust heads and bang bitches.

The fact that he goes around saying stuff like that is distressing, but I never see any of these thuglets without reflecting that I could probably outrun and outkick them (at least when I don't have a broken leg) in what they're wearing. They go hobbling around.
 
I guess it comes down to this for me. Its not about fashion...to me this isn't fashion. Its about respecting the people around you. Yea we all laugh when we see these kids running around with their pants around their knees, but the bottom line for me is it is disrespectful. Too many kids these days, for whatever reason, have no respect for society. I see teens and young adults in various stores, restaurants, etc dressed like this and when I do I always make a comment to whoever is in charge. I can only hope they eventually grow up, as they will find quickly that society wont tolerate it in a lot of situations.
 
I guess it comes down to this for me. Its not about fashion...to me this isn't fashion. Its about respecting the people around you. Yea we all laugh when we see these kids running around with their pants around their knees, but the bottom line for me is it is disrespectful. Too many kids these days, for whatever reason, have no respect for society. I see teens and young adults in various stores, restaurants, etc dressed like this and when I do I always make a comment to whoever is in charge. I can only hope they eventually grow up, as they will find quickly that society wont tolerate it in a lot of situations.

...and we had no respect for the society of our parents...

...and they had no respect for the society of their parents...

...and so on, and so on.

They're kids. Deal with it.
 
I was in London in the Swinging Sixties.

When not at work in my formal pinstripe suit I might look like an Admiral in a Ruritanian Navy, or a Prussian Field Marshal, or a black-leathered biker.

I looked ridiculous but I was fashionable.

My sister-in-law has hidden her wedding photos. She and her bridesmaids wore massive petticoats under ballet-length full skirts. They all had beehive hairdos.

Og
 
Oh please, when teenage girls started wearing their lingerie on the outside, nobody complained.

I do sometimes wonder what would happen if they had to run all of the sudden for any reason, what with the crotch of their pants hovering somewhere around the knees - it's approximately as practical as a pencil skirt.

I can't complain, I dress for practicality, which often means shorts with combat boots (to keep the speargrass out of my socks) and a big floppy hat for shade and I'm regularly mocked for it.

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." -- Oscar Wilde
 
Oh please, when teenage girls started wearing their lingerie on the outside, nobody complained.

I do sometimes wonder what would happen if they had to run all of the sudden for any reason, what with the crotch of their pants hovering somewhere around the knees - it's approximately as practical as a pencil skirt.

I can't complain, I dress for practicality, which often means shorts with combat boots (to keep the speargrass out of my socks) and a big floppy hat for shade and I'm regularly mocked for it.

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." -- Oscar Wilde

Nice quote! Good ol' Oscar.
 
JUst what we need anouther stuped law to enforce. lets fill the jails with the lowriders and turn the reall criminals out back on the streets.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
 
I do sometimes wonder what would happen if they had to run all of the sudden for any reason, what with the crotch of their pants hovering somewhere around the knees - it's approximately as practical as a pencil skirt.

Exactly. The people in places like Compton whom they'd like to emulate, and who are actually feared in their own neighborhood, probably don't dress that extreme--they might have to get up to some kind of real action. So I don't worry that much about the mall rats I see with the crotch of their pants around their knees.
 
I guess it comes down to this for me. Its not about fashion...to me this isn't fashion. Its about respecting the people around you. Yea we all laugh when we see these kids running around with their pants around their knees, but the bottom line for me is it is disrespectful. Too many kids these days, for whatever reason, have no respect for society. I see teens and young adults in various stores, restaurants, etc dressed like this and when I do I always make a comment to whoever is in charge. I can only hope they eventually grow up, as they will find quickly that society wont tolerate it in a lot of situations.

...and we had no respect for the society of our parents...

...and they had no respect for the society of their parents...

...and so on, and so on.

They're kids. Deal with it.

I gotta agree with Cloudy. Every new generation has no respect for society and no respect for their elders, and certainly no respect for authority. Why? Because teenagers are caught between childhood and adulthood and want to be treated like adults, but still only know how to act like children. They want to be independent and free of rules but don't yet know how to achieve that in any way other than rebellion. And a lot of that rebellion often takes the form of really, really stupid-looking clothing.

That's never, ever, ever going to stop, so we may as well just put up with it instead of trying to pass laws against it. The last thing we need is more stupid laws on the books.
 
I know a lot of people have a problem with the pants-sagging because they don't want to see some boy's underwear. Just some food for thought: I don't want to see fat people in small swimsuits at the beach, but they appear there anyway. Are any advocacy groups screaming for a law against THAT?
 
Back
Top