Absolutely Unexceptionable Food

Shangles, if I may I'll offer a couple of rubbish ideas. The first one is barley and the second one is quinoa. I don't know how you do with things like that, but I know each of them on their own might be the perfect gentle, blandish base for building a quasi-normal meal.

I know you're lactose intolerant (curse the pixies!), but for anyone else I suggest Annie's White Shells and Cheddar:

http://www.annies.com/images/Shells_Ched.gif
They suggest just a little milk, but you can also add a bit of butter. It's really light.
Or if anyone wanted to check out their entire site, they have lots of new products. Everything's made with natural and organic ingredients.
The woman is a lifesaver. When I was in college (Tennessee), the whole "health food craze" hadn't quite caught on down there but I'd been buying her stuff for a long time. So I wrote her a letter telling her how much I loved the products and wished I could buy them where I was and she sent me a whole box of stuff. It was diesel. :D
 
Weird Harold, it's very interesting advice, but alas - this year I got to add "lactose intolerant" to the mix as well.

I suspect that Soy Milk would have some of the same benefits as Whole Milk with crackers -- it's really the calcium and soda that make a difference by countering excess acids while providing nutrition.

Some of the Soup recommendations reminded me of two choices that would help you balance your diet with a some "green" vegetables:

Canned Peas -- NOT frozen or fresh. I know that a lot of people dislike canned peas because they're "mushy;" but that's exactly what makes them easy on a tender stomach.

Campbells "Split Pea with Ham and Bacon" -- make it with a bit more water than recommended so it isn't too thick and can be drank from a mug; goes good with grilled cheese or grilled peanut butter sandwiches. (Campbell's Split Pea is saltier than other brands, so if excess salt or blood pressure are problems, then shop around for a brand that you like)

OR...

Make your own Split Pea soup -- a bag of dried peas, a bullion cube, a jar of bacon bits and a crock-pot full of water simmered overnight is as much Basic Split Pea Soup as you'll be able to eat in a week, and adding diced or chopped meats (Chicken, Ham bone, Pork chops, hamburger, beef sew meat, etc) will raise the protein intake without grossly affecting the "bland food" classification.

If you have a crockpot cookbook, there are probably a wealth of soup recipes in it that you can modifiy to be as bland as you can stand.

A tip about Bullion: As far as I know, there is only one brand of Bullion on the market that does NOT contain MSG -- which is bad for you evenif it doesn't exacerbate your nausea -- and that is Wyler's Instant Bullion GRANULES. Their bullion cubes do contain MSG, so make sure you find the Granules. (they make sodium free bullions, but those contain milk solids.)

Like most bullions, Wyler's is very salty but the MSG free granules are a blood-pressure saver for me even with the high salt content.
 
Hmmm... a horse and you've not tried oats?

Depends if the stomach can tolerate fibre, but a simple Scottish porridge made with rolled oats simmered in water, good pinch of salt and sweetened with honey (or raspberry jelly) can give the stomach a good lining.

Lactose intolerance might suggest wheat/yeast/gluten intolerance. Sorry to be so personal but any bloating after ingesting bread? Might be worthwhile, for a week, to cut out all wheat/yeast/gluten products. There are good rye breads around or if you can't find anything like a wheat free rye look for a handmade sourdough with no yeast, the slow natural leaven process 'uses' all the gluten in the wheat so it's effect is concentrated in the bread rather than the gut. Nausea is often associated with yeast/gluten intolerance effecting the lower gut rather than the upper gut, which explains the lack of 'projectile symptom' and the feeling of 'fullness'. If wheat is the problem, I can supply a perfect rye recipe containing no yeast gluten or wheat (obviously) and is extremely simple to make.

By the way, check all purchased food for gluten. Anything purchased with a thickened sauce base is likely to contain gluten. An excess of gluten in the diet is one explanation for the increase in stomach disorders the biggest culprit being commercially made bread, 'healthy wholemeal' being worst on the stomach than white in this regard.

A desire for increased salt may indicate yeast problem in the lower gut. Salt inhibits the action of yeast. I suggest a high fibre, yeast free diet to deal with an excess of yeast. Eat oats and lots of vegetables, avoid rice during this regime other than wholegrain unpolished rice, which takes an age to cook but is excellent used risotto style.

There is some compelling evidence that wheat/yeast/gluten intolerance are comparable to lactose intolerance in that once the intolerance occurs the 'switch is thrown' and there is no going back. The symptoms can be avoided by removing the offending items from diet and reserving something like a well made croissant for a weekly treat.
 
Barley Sugar sweets are wonderfully easy on a poorly tummy, but I thik they may be a British phenomenon.

clementines/satsumas/tangerines also play a big part in my diet when I'm ill. They're sweet and not really acidic but they just make you feel like your doing yourself good-it's the zesty smell and bright colour I think.


And make sure you're drinking plenty of water, that's a big key when you feel poorly.

*kisses and gentle snuggles* take care of yourself, horsey.
 
Cannabis sativa. It cures nausea in cancer patients (my father included, in his last weeks.) It's stigmatized, but it works. It also helps with migraines and, according to recent studies, may even curb growth of cancer cells.

:rose:
 
Avoid all fruit juices. Otherwise follow Neonlyte and drink gallons of water
 
My grandfather would always get chinese carryout when his stomache was acting up. Just the absolutely conventional American Chinese restaurant fare - chop suey, white rice, egg foo yung, etc.
 
My suggestion is pay attention to what your body wants. It will let you know.
 
Sassafras tea. It settles the stomach and eases the nerves. And it's damn tasty.
 
Cannabis sativa. It cures nausea in cancer patients (my father included, in his last weeks.) It's stigmatized, but it works. It also helps with migraines and, according to recent studies, may even curb growth of cancer cells.

:rose:

I have regarded that as a specific for hangovers, but alas, at my present stage in life, I cannot get it anymore. For nausea with an unknown cause, ginger Altoids are good; for hangovers, orange juice.
 
Dr. M, you must be right - the one thing I keep thinking about the chicken soup is that I want more salt in it, which is unusual for me. I'll go to town with the sea salt. The fats and greases - urgh, that's bound to be right too, for I feel queasy even typing the words. Definitely something I'm avoiding at all costs.

The gut doctor is interested in what's causing the nausea, but the matter is complicated by a pre-existing condition that can kick up all sorts of merry hell in the GI tract. Right now we're treating the pre-existing matter more aggressively on the grounds that it could explain pretty much all of the symptoms ... except the nausea. Unfortunately, the typical first treatment for the nausea has the drawback of being likely to aggravate the pre-eisting matter.

It is, indeed, a puzzlement. I'm going to be keeping Campbell's, Del Monte's, and Morton's in business for a while, I think. :)

You might think about restocking your gut flora with live yoghurt cultures as well. That's something a lot of people have to do whenever they take oral antibiotics to treat the concomitant nausea and diarrhea that comes from wiping out all the beneficial bacteria that live in our intestines. (Not for the squeamish: 1/2 to 3/4 of the weight of all fecal matter we generate is dead bacteria from our own gut, friendly little guys who helped us in our daily grind of digestion). This is being recognized more and more as a serious side-effect of oral antibiotic administration and you can now get health supplements specially designed to restock the gut ecosystem that's been compromised by antibiotic treatment. But most live-culture flavored fruit-and-yoghurt stuff works pretty well, a container a day being sufficient.
 
You might think about restocking your gut flora with live yoghurt cultures as well. That's something a lot of people have to do whenever they take oral antibiotics to treat the concomitant nausea and diarrhea that comes from wiping out all the beneficial bacteria that live in our intestines. (Not for the squeamish: 1/2 to 3/4 of the weight of all fecal matter we generate is dead bacteria from our own gut, friendly little guys who helped us in our daily grind of digestion). This is being recognized more and more as a serious side-effect of oral antibiotic administration and you can now get health supplements specially designed to restock the gut ecosystem that's been compromised by antibiotic treatment. But most live-culture flavored fruit-and-yoghurt stuff works pretty well, a container a day being sufficient.

Another cause is enzyme deficiencies. There are very inexpensive supplements available. Take one before each meal and it does the trick.
 
You might think about restocking your gut flora with live yoghurt cultures as well. That's something a lot of people have to do whenever they take oral antibiotics to treat the concomitant nausea and diarrhea that comes from wiping out all the beneficial bacteria that live in our intestines. (Not for the squeamish: 1/2 to 3/4 of the weight of all fecal matter we generate is dead bacteria from our own gut, friendly little guys who helped us in our daily grind of digestion). This is being recognized more and more as a serious side-effect of oral antibiotic administration and you can now get health supplements specially designed to restock the gut ecosystem that's been compromised by antibiotic treatment. But most live-culture flavored fruit-and-yoghurt stuff works pretty well, a container a day being sufficient.

With a lactose intolerance you might want to skip yogurt cultures, as effective as they are. A natural remedy supplement is 'Cat Claw', it's a alkaloid with soothing and anti-inflammatory properties with benefit for the digestive tract. Beware of taking Bacterial Culture supplements as the majority act on Lactic Acid deficiency and you need to understand your lactose intolerance extremely well before embarking on such treatment. However, you might be suffering a deficit of Lactic Acid through an inability to digest lactic products, it's an enzyme deficiency - this time in the upper gut - and is something you ought be able to identify from the location of the discomfort. Upper gut might indicate Lactic Acid deficiency, manageable by taking an enzyme supplement, lower gut suggests yeast/gluten intolerance, which can be cleared by change of diet but is unlikely to be curable but can be diet accommodated.
 
Hey Shang...
You have received a wealth of information here!!!
Pro-Biotics (milk free) are available at Whole Foods, Harris Teeter, Trader Joes, and some larger Safeways and Giants if you are interested.
Enzymes are only as good as their makers formulas...
And contrary to some "beliefs" certain types of fat are curative and beneficial.
Having IBS of the alternating kind, and having been so very sick on antibiotics for over a month recently (still sick but better) I have been looking at and using to restore the balance with natural nutrients....
I highly and unequivocably recommend UNIVERA LIFE SCIENCES products for enzymes that really work, probiotics that arent mostly dead, and nutritional supplements that pack a working incredible wallop. I know people who have started using their "Ageless" formulas and seen grey hair dissappear, arhtritis fade into nothingness, severe IBS vanish, just to name a few things.... when my disability check arrives I will be restocking myself with these things and I know I will be well on the road to full recovery....and...
After much research I discovered Virgin Coconut Oil to be one of the best cure alls out there for digestive disorders.

As for Comfort foods that pamper a poorly feeling belly....

Soft boiled eggs with S/P, butter and toast

Dry roasted peanuts

Raw Almonds (except they make my throat scratchy)

Raw or Dried Papaya

Ginger of course!

And Tension Tamer Tea... honey and milk :)

Cream of Wheat with butter, salt, sugar and cream.... hehehe

A teaspoon of bee pollen chased with local honey ....

But if you do have lactose or wheat allergies avoid them please...
Also... as a man (I assume of course) you should NOT take soy milk at all...
Rice milk if you must have milk like substance :)
Soy helps some people but for most its a mild to severe allergin that makes things difficult at best. I Avoid most Soy products as I am mildly allergic (can you say puffer fish?) but inevitibly find it in 85% or more of all premaid or processed foods )soy protien, soy solids, soy extract, soy bean oil, soy lecithin, etcetc)... I always know when I have been exposed!

But please, research the Univera Products... they are some of the most potent and bio available goods out there... a trifle expensive but well worth it when you look at how much money you are already spending on seeing doctors and taking chemical derivatives of the same things naturally found in our world...

Nausea is also a symptom of gall bladder blockage, mild to moderate bowel blockage, and of all things.... Ear problems...And such a salt craving also relates to thryoid issues tooo.... So check yourself out thoroughly.... check in with your inner knowing... it will tell you whats wrong and where... and guide you to what you really need :)


Good Luck You Horsey thing you!:kiss::rose::cattail:





Ah, how I wish I was offering recipes.

Ah, how I wish I was speaking of flavor.

Actually, I'm asking for assistance. I know that every family has certain "sick person" foods they fall back on, whether it's tea and dry toast or chicken noodle soup or what have you. I'd be awfully grateful to hear some suggestions for foods that are kind to delicate stomachs and gentle to those without much appetite. Surely there must be some interesting old family favorites out there?

I'll kick the ball into play with a few that I use:

Apple sauce (the ultimate in simple preparation)
Chicken soup with escarole and pencil-point pasta
Jok (rice porridge, usually with some chicken thrown in)
 
I just wanted to thank everyone again for the excellent suggestions. I hadn't thought of the issue of gut flora, but it makes perfect sense. The pre-existing condition and the stomach upset together, not to mention fasting for a number of tests, probably has done a real number on the gut flora. I'll check out the acidophilus supplements I've got kicking around here somewhere but haven't bothered to take in months, and talk that over with the doctor as well.

Neonlyte, thank you for the excellent points on the possible complications/variations; unfortunately, I've got symptoms both upper and lower and points in between, so it's a bit tricky to figure out what's what or whether they're related, particulary with the CT scan beaming happily and saying "All clear here!" Your point on wheat is a good one, too; my food intake is irregular enough now that I don't think it would be too difficult to avoid wheat for a little while to check, although I shall miss the pretzels that have been (together with applesauce) my regular staple.

James, I am trying the "pay attention to what your body wants" route in general, and at times it's been useful; my body wanted me to buy a juicer, and that's been a good choice, as fruit and vegetable juices have been one of the things I've most consistently felt up to. On the other hand, my body will also tell me that it wants nothing for a day or more at a time, and I'm advised not to take that for an answer.

Bluebell, barley sounds wonderful. I love the stuff and often eat it in soups, and I have a box in the cupboard. I might just try some barley porridge for lunch today. English Lady, I have had the worst craving for barley sweets! fortunately, we're hoping to visit the SO's parents in Wales in the next couple of weeks, so I shall stock up while I am over there.

Carson, that's a damned sensible suggestion. If only I wasn't so hopelessly out of the loop. *sigh* I wouldn't know where to begin. :eek: But if the opportunity presents itself, I might just take the plunge.

Weird Harold, thank you very much for the pointers on MSG. This is another post that made me smile, because I had the worst craving for mushy peas the other day - a thoroughly English thing, but exactly what you're talking about, and split pea soup was running a close second. Clearly that's an urge I should give in to.

There are so many excellent ideas here that I had better not write a little novel on each of them, but thank you all so very much. I feel like I'm at least getting together a menu I can work with, and that's an immense help.

Shanglan
 
Wales is very close to Manchester, I just mention that incase a certain horsey fancies meeting up ;)
 
Weird Harold, thank you very much for the pointers on MSG. This is another post that made me smile, because I had the worst craving for mushy peas the other day - a thoroughly English thing, but exactly what you're talking about, and split pea soup was running a close second. Clearly that's an urge I should give in to.

Unfortunately Wyler's is an american company and not a particularly ubiquitous one -- MSG free bullion might be hard to find in England.

I have found that cravings and their opposites can be a fair guide to what your diet is lacking in the way of vitamins and minerals if youcan leran to interpret them -- for example, a craving for bananas can often be satisfied by a potassium supplement instead (without having to worry about what to do with mushy brown leftover bananas after the craving is satisfied).

The problem is that cravings tend to lag well behind the actual shortage or excess they want you to satisfy -- so use recurrent cravings to guide yourshoices for staples in your diet so you don't get to the point where your body has to yell at you for what it needs.
 
I've not much new advice to add.

It's all in the range of tea, dry biscuits and chicken broth, which would be homemade if it was up to me. :eek:
Camomile tea is a good choice if you're fighting infections.
Mashed potatoes and carrots are good too, as are softboiled, poached or scrambled eggs.
Rasped apples on toasted bread with a pinch of cinnamon to settle a queasy stomach.
Ginger has already been mentioned.

My mother used to make barley water; I suppose that's the cold version of barley tea. LOL

Take care and get well soon, Shang.

:rose:
 
... This is another post that made me smile, because I had the worst craving for mushy peas the other day - a thoroughly English thing, but exactly what you're talking about, and split pea soup was running a close second. Clearly that's an urge I should give in to.

Shanglan

Tinned Mushy Peas are widely available in Wales (and in England) but the best are from Fish and Chip shops.

Whether they do Mushy Peas in quadruped size portions? You can ask.

Og
 
Shang,

regular tea with a small spoon of sugar, no milk might stimulate the appetite.

A boiled egg, (if you like eggs that is).not too soft, not too hard with salt and a little butter and a slice of toast (cut into soilders..strips) is what works for me..I mean my kids:)
 
Tinned Mushy Peas are widely available in Wales (and in England) but the best are from Fish and Chip shops.

Whether they do Mushy Peas in quadruped size portions? You can ask.

Og



and a chip butty??
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
 
Many pediatricians, my own included, recommend mashed or pureed bananas as a first solid food for infants for the reason that they are very easily digestible. You mignt try them. Also, the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) is recommended for many stomach ailments after clear liquids are tolerated. Ginger is exceptional for nausea, as many have said.

During my own bouts with morning sickness, it helped if I never let my stomach get completely empty. I carried a little zipper bag of dry honey nut cheerios and ate a couple to a handful every half hour or so, supplemented with fizzy soda. I don't know how horsies deal with fizzy soda, but I'd think the oats in the cheerios would be well tolerated.

Wishing you tummy happiness.
 
and a chip butty??
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I had a bacon butty yesterday. My wife had a hot dog butty with tomatoes, mushrooms and cucumber.

Whether that was a wise choice? We had just returned to the car park from a long walk by the sea. The food tasted great but generated wind.

Og
 
Hey, or should I say Neeghhh!

I have IBS, Irritable Bowel Syndrom and I am somewhat lactose Intollerant (they aren't really sure if its just the ibs that is aggravated by the lactose)

The BRAT diet is what gets me through. Bananas, Rice, Apple Sauce and Toast, the only thing is, Bananas usually give me the scoots as does apple sauce, but for some reason when my tummy is acting up, it seldom causes this affect.
I also eat A LOT of yogurt! Yes yogurt! There is something to do with the enzimes that yogurt has that acts differently than regular milk based products. If my tummy is upset, bloated, ready to let loose at any moment, yogurt usually calms it down.

One more thing, with IBS stress is a major contributor, I drink a lot of the Sleepy Time Tea or any herbal tea with great amounts of Chamomile in it. It is a natural sedative (I think, makes me sleepy) and causes you to relax enough that you aren't constantly thinking of how long it will take to get to the bathroom! lol

The absolute biggest thing I use during my flair ups- HUMOR!
If I cant laugh at myself, who can I laugh at?

C
 
Back
Top