Fuck this place.

Hate to disagree, but from my side of the fence, as a newbie that got bashed out of nowhere and still has no idea what happened, then watched a ton of other people get bashed in subsequent weeks for silly reasons, it's not the newbies at all, it's the haughty, presumptuous natives. I personally refuse to post here anymore, but I couldn't pass on this.

The problem with all boards, and all forms of Internet communication, is that it hasn't been civilized yet. There's no equivalent of "please" and "thank you". People feel free to use their pseudo-anonymity, or the seemingly soulless nature of others, to behave without boundaries. It's the electronic equivalent of road rage... the other people aren't people in cars, they're just cars, and the ones that don't behave exactly the way you want them to are aggravating.

My strong suggestion (I would pursue it myself, but newbies are scorned here) is that you create a code of conduct. Talk about it. Agree on it. Then try to live by it. You can't enforce it, but if someone broaches it, anyone can immediately add a simple, terse post pointing out their breech of etiquette.

I'm sure if you go through all of the recent, divisive, hateful threads to find obvious examples you'll figure out what rules you need. Things like:

1) If you don't like what you see, ask a polite question or don't post: never flame (which is just "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all").
2) Always use an emoticon with a joke, so it is clear that your intent was sarcastic wit, not abuse.
3) Learn when to back off.
4) Point out breaches of etiquette with a simple post like "AH Etiquette: Rule #3" and nothing more.

Or, you could just keep hurting each other, and anyone that accidentally wanders into the line of fire.
And yet you're here saying the same thing you said on 17 June. Why did you return, why did you post 17 times yesterday if you don't post here any more ;) Inquiring minds want to know (note joke after emoticon)
 
Hate to disagree, but from my side of the fence, as a newbie that got bashed out of nowhere and still has no idea what happened, then watched a ton of other people get bashed in subsequent weeks for silly reasons, it's not the newbies at all, it's the haughty, presumptuous natives. I personally refuse to post here anymore, but I couldn't pass on this.

The problem with all boards, and all forms of Internet communication, is that it hasn't been civilized yet. There's no equivalent of "please" and "thank you". People feel free to use their pseudo-anonymity, or the seemingly soulless nature of others, to behave without boundaries. It's the electronic equivalent of road rage... the other people aren't people in cars, they're just cars, and the ones that don't behave exactly the way you want them to are aggravating.

My strong suggestion (I would pursue it myself, but newbies are scorned here) is that you create a code of conduct. Talk about it. Agree on it. Then try to live by it. You can't enforce it, but if someone broaches it, anyone can immediately add a simple, terse post pointing out their breech of etiquette.

I'm sure if you go through all of the recent, divisive, hateful threads to find obvious examples you'll figure out what rules you need. Things like:

1) If you don't like what you see, ask a polite question or don't post: never flame (which is just "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all").
2) Always use an emoticon with a joke, so it is clear that your intent was sarcastic wit, not abuse.
3) Learn when to back off.
4) Point out breaches of etiquette with a simple post like "AH Etiquette: Rule #3" and nothing more.

Or, you could just keep hurting each other, and anyone that accidentally wanders into the line of fire.

And yet you're here saying the same thing you said on 17 June. Why did you return, why did you post 17 times yesterday if you don't post here any more ;) Inquiring minds want to know (note joke after emoticon)

I visit and post only on Molly's Naked thread. People there are friendly, polite and well behaved. It's a place to have fun, only. I like it there, and most importantly, I don't feel like any post I place is going to be instantly questioned and assaulted, instead of turned into something constructive.

Attack, attack, attack. Sorry, lesson learned, again. I'll stick to Naked.
 
RON_MDEAR

Youre correct.

It seems to me that boards unleash the sociopathy in most folks. We're as clannish and tribal as were 10,000 years ago. LIT could be the square of Verona where the Capulets and Montagus battled daily.
 
RON_MDEAR

Youre correct.

It seems to me that boards unleash the sociopathy in most folks. We're as clannish and tribal as were 10,000 years ago. LIT could be the square of Verona where the Capulets and Montagus battled daily.

No, the tenor of the board has gotten worse over the last year or six months. I agree with Joe on that, and the quality of the threads has declined. Lit's become a victim of its own success, and there are more people here so it's more crowded and not as friendly and getting to be more of a jungle where only the strong and rude survive.

We're headed in the direction of the General Board.
 
In any relationship there are going to be disagreements. Sometimes adults have to agree to disagree. :rose:
 
DOC

I'm speaking of boards in general.

I post on many boards and LIT is about in the middle in terms of hostility and morons. AH is worse than the General Board.
 
No, the tenor of the board has gotten worse over the last year or six months. I agree with Joe on that, and the quality of the threads has declined. Lit's become a victim of its own success, and there are more people here so it's more crowded and not as friendly and getting to be more of a jungle where only the strong and rude survive.

We're headed in the direction of the General Board.

or maybe the denizens of the GB are wandering over here, and polluting the territory...:D Just kidding, but it could be a plausible idea hmm?

:kiss: for all who have been flamed, to sooth your tattered souls. ( some people can be really mean)
 
RON_MDEAR

Youre correct.

It seems to me that boards unleash the sociopathy in most folks. We're as clannish and tribal as were 10,000 years ago. LIT could be the square of Verona where the Capulets and Montagus battled daily.

I disagree that it's "worse" now in AH than in at other times in the three years I've been here, but if this is the square of Verona let AH be a place where the duelists engage in witty and learned repartee as they puncture each others' speens and vanity, a' la' Shakespeare or Rostand (Cyrano de Bergerac).

"Hark how my point floats, light as the foam,
Ready to drive you back to the wall,
Then, as I end the refrain, thrust home!

". . . 'Tac!-and I parry your last assay,
So may the turn of my hand forestall
Life with its honey, death with its gall,
So may the turn of my fancy roam,
Free, for a time, till the rimes recall,
Then, as I end the refrain, thrust home!"
 
ROXANNE

As a kid I loved boxing. I enjoy slipping on the gloves and stunning my opponent. I like learning where I'm weak and unprotected. But my first lesson involved the discovery that most people cannot spar without becoming angry and out of control.

They cannot get in the arena to measure themselves, and maintain emotional self discipline.

Its the same here.
 
But my first lesson involved the discovery that most people cannot spar without becoming angry and out of control.

They cannot get in the arena to measure themselves, and maintain emotional self discipline.

Its the same here.

Then there are those that constantly battle with their native tongue and fully believe that oxymorons are a kind of wit.

Neither is sarcasm wit.

Neither is using smilies.

Folk should learn to read and write and not just type the words they would say.

One now famous thread depends and spins about the use of the word 'could' or maybe 'should'. That infamous first post in that thread goes through explanations, diagrams, bar charts, etymology, definitions and various logic appearing arguements. But through it all ignores entirely the fact that could (or should) are historically, active words equal in meaning to can and/or will. eg "I should be only too pleased."
That doesn't mean that it is the duty of a person to be pleased it means they have every intent and expect to be 'only too pleased'.

Fuck this. This isn't what this alt is for. Looks like Gauche shall return.
 
I swear it was a harmless joke about fucking Democrats and I did not use an emoticon because I am not into them. How does a self-respecting Republican fuck a tried and true Democrat these days without a little scuffle, anyway?
 
It's hard for me to say if the AH is in decline or not, as I'm a relative newbie to the AH, despite being a Lit poster for years.

The reason? I stuck to the Story Discussion Circle and the Story Feedback forum for years, because each time I peeked into the AH, I saw more bickering and mud slinging than friendly banter or constructive discussion (also the reason I'm turning into an agorophobe, but that's a discussion for another day...).

ETA: Of course, there are some incredible people here, and ultimately, I come here to enjoy them, and the laughter, the provoked thoughts, and sense of community they provide, while trying to keep the manure off my shoes while tiptoeing around the rest of the forum.

Just a long-time outsider's perspective.
 
Last edited:
JOE

"If you have the facts, pound the facts; if you have the law, pound the law; if you dont have facts or the law to support you, pound the table."

Hello new personal motto!

To the OP: I pretty much only pop into AH when I'm bored as hell because I don't like the arguing/flaming/bigotry that so frequently pops up in the threads. I've always found it to be pretty bad in here, but then, I'm a pretty extreme liberal, so the average American comes off like Joseph McCarthy to me.

Bottom line: If every time you come here, you find yourself donning your angry pants, maybe time to take a break.
 
Hello new personal motto!

To the OP: I pretty much only pop into AH when I'm bored as hell because I don't like the arguing/flaming/bigotry that so frequently pops up in the threads. I've always found it to be pretty bad in here, but then, I'm a pretty extreme liberal, so the average American comes off like Joseph McCarthy to me.

Bottom line: If every time you come here, you find yourself donning your angry pants, maybe time to take a break.

Heh. Now I'm imaging Joe in different pants (underwear to me as a Brit)

angry pants -red and flamey
Happy pants -big yellow smile face
sad pants -grey and worn
sexy pants - black ,silky and wolf whistle every time he gets an erection.


Ooooh, that was fun. Yes, I'm easily amused. :p
 
Then there are those that constantly battle with their native tongue and fully believe that oxymorons are a kind of wit.

Neither is sarcasm wit.

Neither is using smilies.

Folk should learn to read and write and not just type the words they would say.

One now famous thread depends and spins about the use of the word 'could' or maybe 'should'. That infamous first post in that thread goes through explanations, diagrams, bar charts, etymology, definitions and various logic appearing arguements. But through it all ignores entirely the fact that could (or should) are historically, active words equal in meaning to can and/or will. eg "I should be only too pleased."
That doesn't mean that it is the duty of a person to be pleased it means they have every intent and expect to be 'only too pleased'.

Fuck this. This isn't what this alt is for. Looks like Gauche shall return.

. . . I did not use an emoticon because I am not into them.

I should and would welcome the return of Gauche (although the new guy is alright too, I guess.)

:emoticon:

Internet/forum writing has a different "rhythm" and style than regular prose writing, a bit closer to speech. I think it will create its own definitions of and standards of "craftsmanship," just as those other forms have theirs. (Those don't fully exist yet because it's too new and still being invented - it's kinda fun and exciting being in the first wave.)






HT to the wonderful Kbate :emoticon:
 
Heh. Now I'm imaging Joe in different pants (underwear to me as a Brit)

angry pants -red and flamey
Happy pants -big yellow smile face
sad pants -grey and worn
sexy pants - black ,silky and wolf whistle every time he gets an erection.


Ooooh, that was fun. Yes, I'm easily amused. :p

Or mood pants; change colour to match his emotions. Red and orange mean it's time for a break from AH!
 
It's hard for me to say if the AH is in decline or not, as I'm a relative newbie to the AH, despite being a Lit poster for years.

The reason? I stuck to the Story Discussion Circle and the Story Feedback forum for years, because each time I peeked into the AH, I saw more bickering and mud slinging than friendly banter or constructive discussion (also the reason I'm turning into an agorophobe, but that's a discussion for another day...).

ETA: Of course, there are some incredible people here, and ultimately, I come here to enjoy them, and the laughter, the provoked thoughts, and sense of community they provide, while trying to keep the manure off my shoes while tiptoeing around the rest of the forum.

Just a long-time outsider's perspective.

Your participation has improved the place. So has Tatelou's return. If we could get Gauche back, and keep SubJoe from wandering off all the time without the agreed-upon warning (he will wear an unusual hat or beanie), we could assure that the AH with all its shortcomings remains a worthwhile place to hang out.

It must be, or we wouldn't be having this discussion. Would we?

A historical perspective: when I was a newbie here, there was a thread about the good old days of the AH, and there was a controversy about the use of penis photos as AVs.

A year later, there was a thread about the good old days of the AH, and there was a controversy about the use of penis photos as AVs.

A year later...etcetera, etcetera.

The only substantive changes I've experienced in my years at AH have been the arrivals and departures of people whose company I value. Everything else, we either build for ourselves or are free to ignore.

This is one of the few environments that we, the participants, control absolutely. We cannot be insulted, abused, entertained, enriched or challenged without our own, active participation.

Click to open. Click to close. It's that fucking simple.
 
Are you sure you want to fuck the democrats, Joe? Wouldn't that make you gay? (Not that there's anything wrong with being gay, but, now that I'm a Conservative, I would encourage you not to go down that road, my friend. It could lead to your banishment from Heaven, or at least, from certain churches, and you would be ineligible for service in the Armed Forces. Plus, you're car-buying clientele would change, and you'd have to spend a lot more money on clothes.)
...because all Democrats are men?

Even Hillary?

Maybe especially Hillary.

Wow, you just blew my mind.
 
Click to open. Click to close. It's that fucking simple.

"All things considered, I have to say she was a real friend. The hugs and grins and roses were real, too. The illusion was that I could control how much I cared."

Uh huh.
 
So, how do we prevent becoming the GB Lite without restricting our openness and freedom?

I don't think I want moderators here.
 
So, how do we prevent becoming the GB Lite without restricting our openness and freedom?

I don't think I want moderators here.

You know, I love the GB. It's really not as awful as people make it out to be. Even the newbie hazing isn't *that* bad and theres plenty of nice people who chip in and explain whats going on.

I don't think we can change things here without a moderator and i don't want a moderator either. we've all got to think before we post more...that'd help. :)
 
Back
Top