fuckanagoddammitihavehadenoughalready

D A, you're not alone in your thinkings...

I feel much the same way you do about NOT ass kissing, but if you feel so strong about it, then why change? You will be stooping to a level you WILL NOT be happy with, no matter how long you remain at that company.

I'm willing to bet that much like MANY other companies out there with many layoffs lately, their bottom line looks good to their board, and that many people higher up than you are being rewarded with that extra money, while others are out on the street scraping by in some cases.

There is no such thing as company loyalty anymore, at least not from the companies stand point. It doesn't matter how long you are wtih them, if you are close to retirement, you may be the first to go, so they dont' have to pay you full retirement, if anything at all...

Just a few of my thoughts on this issue.

R
 
Last edited:
DA,

As you and the rest of the board knows I've been there (unemployed) for some time. But I haven't mentioned that I think one of the reasons I may have been among the laid off is because I didn't toot my own horn well enough (actually not at all) - I just did my job the best I could and thought that was enough.

I don't think it is necessary to schmooze it up, but it certainly doesn't hurt to let your boss and others know what you are doing and how well you are doing it. One of the guys I worked with was big on that, and often told me I needed to do it. I didn't listen to him - he still works there and I don't.
 
Sorry about your stress -

Desert Amazon said:
I read the other day by Celestialbody (I'm pretty sure she is the one who made that reference) that the economy improves if we're at war... I wonder if the the 50% of the employees from my company are optimistic?
That's actually NOT true for the kind of military effort we're talking about here. The "invasion" of Panama did nothing for the economy, nor did that of Granada. These were events so small that they were non-events, as they say on Wall Street. Even the Gulf War probably hurt the economy more than helped it, if you recall the Bush I Recession. except in the cases of a few military contractors. Yeah, sending troops overseas cuts unemployment rates some, but removing seasoned employees from their posts and dumping them in Pakistan is not a plus. WW II was extremely good for the economy, and rebuilding everything afterward was even better. This is not in any way a plus. So maybe you should kiss some ass. Sorry to have to say this.
 
Survivors guilt..

Sounds like what you may be experiencing along with the normal fear of even more layoffs.

I am sorry you are going through this..I have had this happen a couple of times back when things were rosy (Reagan years):rolleyes:

It will get better...it always does.

Then again there is always truck driving school;) You can ride with me, I am a good teacher.

*MUAH*
 
Re: Sorry about your stress -

shadowsource said:
WW II was extremely good for the economy, and rebuilding everything afterward was even better. This is not in any way a plus. So maybe you should kiss some ass. Sorry to have to say this.
Hayek pointed out that such gains were at best short term, and at worst illusory - the millions of productive lives lost, not to mention all the material and the production capability spent on the war effort were essentially a waste. The only reason there was any benefit was that people were put to work and there was cooperation towards a common goal. In the end the bottom line was a loss that was paid for over the following decades and eventually caught up with us in the late 60's and seventies.

If we had taken that same amount of money, etc. and just spent it on government sponsored jobs programs the result would have been much better. Not that I am advocating such an idea; it too would have muc hthe same effect in the long run - but the cost in human lives would have been a lot less.

There are some definite financial winners in wartime, but it is a huge loss to the country overall.
 
DA

Hang in there! It is normal to feel emotionally overwhelmed about this subject. Even if you are not in the direct line of fire, i.e. losing your job, it still impacts you and affects your behavior and thought patterns.

Thumper is right. Survivor's guilt is very common when a large group of friends and co-workers are laid off. You have not only just witnessed their anguish, but you have been put through the wringer yourself- waiting, wondering and worrying.

You question if and when the other shoe will drop. It is not fair that companies can't be more effective or quick about this sort of thing because once word gets out, rumors start flying and people's emotions go haywire.

This is not a reflection on anyone who has lost their job during reductions in force. It isn't like decades ago when you were fired for incompetence or insubordination or any other number of bona fide reasons.

This is not personal. It really is an economic decision. Today's executives are much more concerned with the bottom line because they report to the shareholders who, in turn, are becoming more and more vocal and demanding. They want results, dividends and good guidance and forecasts.

They fail to consider that when large chunks of employees are let go, morale suffers, production drops and revenues wilt.

Still, it is hard not to take it personally. Your way of life is suddenly turned upside down. The uncertainty of if and when you'll ever get another job becomes a frequent nightmare. It is easy to see why some people become obsessed.

Still, for those lucky enough not to have their income halted, it is an adjustment. Their workload increases and their pay does not- in fact, sometimes pay cuts are collateral damage!

In studies of loss and how to cope, losing your job ranks at or near the top of the list- just a step under the death of a loved one and divorce. So, it is normal to have the feelings you so eloquently expressed above.

I hope that things improve at your company and that when the economy rebounds, as it will, that they will be able to rehire those people who are now walking around dazed and confused.
 
Re: Thank you!

Desert Amazon said:
STGI feel that they indulge me at work with my "I hate phones" "I'm not attending meetings unless it's mandatory and if I do go, don't waste my time" attitudes.
Those are good things for productivity - something to be encouraged, not just indulged.

My boss told me yesterday that if I ever left the group they were screwed, but to me that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
It would be hard to gauge how far that will go with respect to job security, but in my experience, when a superior told me something like that it sometimes meant the difference between a job and being on the street.

At least you were spared this time around - every day survived is another day you can prepare more to survive a layoff, or hopefully another day closer to when the company stops laying off people.
 
every situation presents an opportunity

i was fired from my job of 13 years in the late 90's for refusing to work overtime. It was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I now work at a job that i love(so its not really a job), make more money and work less(again,i'm not really working). good luck.
 
Desert Amazon

so sorry you are going through this.

where i work, we have people retiring and not being replaced, and we lost about 70% of our office staff to layoffs and downsizing.
this is something that seems to be appearing all over the place.
companies do this for the sake of staying in business. it is a sign of the times unfortunately

dont feel bad about being there working while others are on layoff.
the main thing is to keep working to make the company survive through the rough times so that the good times will bring many of the people back to a place to work.

there is nothing wrong with venting. it is good to get this off of your chest. that is what friends are for is to listen and be there when we are needed.
 
Don't

DA,
Don't think that any amount of brown nosing will secure your job. I have seen ass wipes, as well as good workers, get laid of for a couple of months now. And much to my sorrow, I was a real ass wipe myself as a young soldier. It didn't help me get ahead any faster than some others. In the long run, the self-shame will do you a great deal of harm, especially if you do go the brown nose route and get fired anyway.

Hang tough, but start saving some dough, if you haven't already. I know whereof I speak. I was laid off two weeks ago due to lack of work and work as an AutoCadd 14 drafter is hard to find in the CSRA.

America will turn around, even without a war to fire up the military-industrial complex. We are strong enough to get past this. "People say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

DA, Work hard, play hard, and love like there's no tomarrow. :)



Before I get off my soap box, just let me say.....
 
Desert Amazon said:

Are there any safe places to work anymore?

The sad but honest answer is "no."

If your company is in that bad of shape, have you considered getting your resume updated and getting your ass out of there before it is your turn to be fired? Staying behind as a survivor and working your ass off to make up for all the missing people isn't any fun either. I know it is easier said than done to get a new job in this economy, but you don't know unless you look.

It has been 7 or 8 years since I was last unemployed, but I remember it well. Being downsized is NOT fun. It happened to me 3 times in a relatively short period of time! Finding a solid company to work for in hard economic times is tough, but not impossible.

Hang in there. It will probably get a lot rougher for you before it gets better.
 
Well, while we're in the venting rant mode, here's some random thoughts.

I watched the hospitals I worked at downsize the staff for several years. Now they are scrambling to beef it up again as thousands of experienced nurses left the field. They forget when people are sick they want to see a nurse more then once a shift. They forget that most people haven't become so cynical that they have put a price tag on human suffering.

Corporate America is short sighted and morally bankrupt. They seem to seize any excuse to chop away at the work force. They appear to have no compunction about reducing those remaining to conditions resembling white collar sweat shops. I could cite you chapter and verse of the incidents where this greed has resulted not in a leaner more efficent organization but merely meaner one.

I have no answers at this point only more questions. I feel your frustration and fear D.A. and you have my sincere sympathy.

I just wonder how much responsiblility corporate america bears for the hatred of our country by the middle east. Before you all attack, keep in mind all the third world dumping of inferior products that has been done. Remember the delcon shield IUD. Guess what country that was exported to when it was banned in the US? Kinda makes you wonder just whose hands are the bloodiest.

Excuse me but this kind of stuff just enrages me. This kind of morally bankrupt shit represents us overseas and I am pissed as hell about it. Remember the chemical factory explosion some years back. Thousands of people affected how much does that have to do with the hatred in Pakistan? We need to ask some hard questions and it should be by someone like Ralph Nader not Gary Conduit. I love my country enough to look at this and clear up these questions.

Okay enough of my ranting.
 
Desert Amazon so sorry to hear of the trauma and stuff at your place of work. Unfortunately that is the nature of the beast and it is sad. I don't know what to say other than keep your chin up and roll with the punches. Maybe a little butt kissing ain't bad, but I feel like you do (I do my job, do it very well and that should be enough?) but there must be some politicing done. Albeit very minimal...........my thoughts go out to you and every person like you and to those who have been "laid off".

I am very thankful to have a job and be where I am. So true though that you never know IF the slip will come to you next..........or if they just flat out let you go, so I do the best I can and hold my head up high.
 
D A,
Thanks for the offer, but my fiance and I need to stay close to her mom. This is so weird, sometimes I wonder which is the mom and which is the daughter!

Just an side comment. I really like this board. Not only are the people here sensual and seriously sexy, But they show a lot of heart.

"Ya just gotta love 'em."
 
Oh! Nice.

rahfirst said:
D A,
Thanks for the offer, but my fiance and I need to stay close to her mom. This is so weird, sometimes I wonder which is the mom and which is the daughter!

Just an side comment. I really like this board. Not only are the people here sensual and seriously sexy, But they show a lot of heart.

"Ya just gotta love 'em."

You couldn't leave the thread with the never-ending title alone, could you? You just had to drag it back to screw up my screen, didn't you?:p
 
Nope, not me!

Desert Amazon said:
Mensa, you got a problem with the way I choose to express my "bitch?"

Just one suggestion, next time you rant, take a breath, it'll shorten the title so it fits my screen.:cool:
 
Back
Top