Her protector... His salvation (Closed)

Fen'r A'gard

He woke and got out of bed, looking at the bandages wrapped around his shoulders,

"A bit more to the right and I'll be dead."

He got to his feet, picked up his shirt and other belongings, he was still adjusting his sword belt when he came out of the temple. Julana was seated on the stairs and he silently sat down next to her.

"I guess you have new questions."

It was a statement not a question
 
How did they know you? Were you one of them before?

She was rambling still trying to piece it together. She glanced over at him.

He sought to add me to his camp... for my magic
 
Fen'r A'gard

"From what I could piece together, from memmories and such, I have hunted them, tracking them as they laid a path of destruction and desolation as they went about their ways. I caught up with them, but somehow they had known that I was coming."

He looked out over the village,

"Magic saved me that day, but it was not enough to secure my escape I was knocked out and thrown into the river, left for dead. That is how they know of me, Ranger A'gard"
 
She listened watching him as he spoke.

They will not be back will they? No one simply arising taking his place like I took my fathers place?

She hated feeling so unsure of a situation... after all she was their leader she had to be ready for anything.
 
"Not to take his place no, but his father will come looking for him when he does not return to the Frozen North. That could be two seasons away if my memories of the people holds true."

He looked back at her,

"I should go, I have work to do."

He silently got to his feet, hefting his bow he walked through the village, warmly greeted and thanked by the villagers for his help
 
What is there for you to do?

She strangely was not sure she wanted him far from her... the the son knew of her and her powers then surely the father did too. 2 seasons did not seem that long as she thought about it biting at her lip.
 
Fen'r A'gard

He turned and gave her a small smile,

"The traps around the forest didn't set themselves and I will need more. Because come the father, he must find nothing but death and that fearless leader is something I can work on."
 
She nodded to him with a soft smile and standing slowly she turned to consult with the priests on the matter of what to do about the father and the potential of his arrival.
 
Fen'r A'gard

He of course could not do much as just a bit too much strain would set the wound bleeding again. So he rested, trained and taught for the first two weeks, then the wound started to allow him to do more and he started roaming the forest again, the forest accepting him back like a mother would welcome a lost child.
 
The priests felt sure that son would have told father and that he would hunt her too though perhaps not for all of the same reasons. None of this sitting well with her as she walked around the village deep in thought.
 
Fen'r A'gard

One late evening, after he had brought in a fresh kill, he sat outside on the side of the well, sipping ale from a cup when he saw Julana, he haven't seen her for weeks and she seemed even more worried now than the last time.

"Julana,"

he called her softly and showed her the wineskin, inviting her over to share a drink with him.
 
What do you know of the father?

She asked as she walked over to him. Taking the offered drink she smiled to him still concerned at what the son might have told the father and what she should prepare for. Brushing her hair back behind her ear as she sat there watching him hoping he had answers since he seemed to be like them only kind and willing to help.

Who are you to them?
 
Fen'r A'gard

"I know the father is a mighty chieftain, a cruel and harsh man. He is much smarter than his son, who was driven by pride and not wisdom."

He took a sip of the ale,

"To them? I am nothing, a threat. The forest that I come from borders your lands and it was their slaying that drew me from my lands into yours. It is a big pity that our ruler would not help, but I am sure that if I can get word to some Rangers, we could muster a force big enough to withstand this man."

He suddenly grinned and held out his hand in greeting,

"I am Ranger Fenrir A'gard, I am glad to meet a lovely lady as yourself."
 
The son would have told him of us... of my powers?

She bit her lip worried that more would come after her people to possess her. She laughed as he offered his hand and her hand slipped into his.

I am Julana

She laughed a little but the back of her mind was still plagued by concern over the possibility that the father would begin to hunt them.
 
Fen'r A'gard

He took another drink of his ale,

"I can tell you this, with the harvest time of the season after the next, another group of them will arrive. They will die the same as these did, then when his most trusted commander and friend does not return the father will come. He will be careful as he would have heard of your powers."

Fen'r snapped his fingers and a small light like that of a candle appeared on his thumb,

"And thanks to you, I can now use my own magic. From what I could gather so far it is Earth and Fire based and I can assure you that the father does not know that I possess these traits as he will bring priests along to protect him from your magic. The priests is weak, their minds not as strong as they should be from pampered living."

He touched his cup to her's and drained his cup,

"And then the final battle ensues and I can return to my home land, taking my bad influence away from you and your people."

There was a loud sound, like a pan falling to the ground and when she looked back, he was gone, the only sure thing that he was indeed there the cup and wineskin with ale.
 
She listened carefully to all he said feeling a little safer that they would not know of his powers but wondering what she had done to give him powers or remind him of his powers.

What bad in...

He was gone she stared at the items left behind and placing them at the edge of the treeline near her home she walked back to her chambers and laid down confused soon sleep and troubled thoughts came. She did not understand why when he had helped them that he spoke of bad influence... but why an outsider would help them was confusing as well.

She tossed and turned through most of the night. Her dreams turned on themselves seeking to envision what would happen. Her dreams quickly turned nightmare as she could not wake from them. It was not till the wee hours of the dawn that her mind was allowed to wake her as she awoke with a scream from the horrors her mind revealed to her within her nightmare.
 
Fen'r A'gard

He spent the evening looking over her as she slept, the tree was close enough to her room for him to see without being seen. He knew what troubled her, but he could not soothe her mind, when she woke, he knew that it was time for him to gather help. He slipped back into the forest, giving final orders to his students he left, tracking the river to get to the woods of his homeland and to find the other Rangers.
 
The priests did as always running in to tend to her and calm her giving her herbs to help her gain peaceful sleep till she could awake with sleep having aided her instead of harming her.
 
Fen'r A'gard

It took many days to come back to his own land, but as his memories came to him, he found moving about easier and easier.
 
Several days had past and none of them had seen him finally she cornered those he had taught and demanded answers. They would have given had they known. She sighed and resigned herself for now that he may have left them to their own defenses for the next round. Or perhaps he was preparing further maybe taking the fight to those he knew would come.
 
Fen'r A'gard

It took him close to a year to gather the people that he needed, he had purchased new weapons and it was a cold windy day when he stepped out of the forest and into the village. With him he carried a bundle, a sword that he had gotten for Julana, one that was durable and deadly. One of the shopkeepers saw him and the cry went out that ran through the village like wild fire,

"Ranger Fenrir has returned!"
 
She walked out of her home looking to the chaos in the village and hearing the people calling and walked simply to the well and sat down nodding to the children that ran up telling her of his return. She watched for him her long hair pulled back as she sat there to see what was going to happen.
 
Fen'r A'gard

He met the warm welcome with a smile, marveling at how his students have grown, how the people have taken his small words of advice to heart. The general direction of the crowd moved him towards the well, it was there that he saw Julana. He gave her a smile and held out the bundle, there was a pause in the chattering and general uproar. A gift from a man to a woman in public...it meant only one thing, that the man like the woman.
 
Her head tilted a little as she watched his eyes but reaching to take the offered bundle with a smile and opened it carefully. She brushed her hair back once the gift was open and looked to him a little confused. It was a beautiful sword but she had never held any need for one with her magics.

I am glad you have returned Fen'r.
 
Fen'r A'gard

He smiled at her,

"I not only return, I bring with me enough people to withstand the barbarians, they will make their home, like me, in the woods. Now is the time for you to ease your mind."

He motioned at the sword,

"Family weapon, one day your son can wield it, but it is a good thing to know how to use, maybe I can teach you some time."

He gave a sudden grin and turned to the people, pulling something from one of his bags he tossed it at a child. It was a boiled sweet and the child popped it into her mouth immediately,

"I have more..."

He didn't get much further as the children surged forward and he chuckled,

"Well then, I'm glad to see that you are happy at my return."
 
Back
Top