It's Time To Start Healing

Cheyenne, it scares the crap out of me too. I remember when I had my first child and was hanging out his nappies and a jet flew low. My thoughts were maternal and 'silly'. "What would i do if there was a third world war?" My first baby is nearly 13 and my youngest 8. I still feel the same way. Particularly because as a kid I had questioned my religious grandfather (who i respected and loved a lot) how he had fought against Hitler in the war (he was a fighter pilot, he passed away Christmas last year) with a good conscience since he was a Christian and believed in turning the other cheek. He patiently told me that he had volunteered and fought in a violent war so that his children and grandchildren would not be ruled by a man like Hitler. He fought for freedom, going against hie religious beliefs, hoping that he and many others could stop the madness and hatred of people like Hitler.
I am saddened and am despondent to think of what he would think of what has happened in America. He and so many other brave people fought in WW 11 so that the third world war would not happen.
 
I'm glad this thread has some meaning.

I gotta tell you, my heart swells as I drive through the area and there is nothing but American flags as far as the eye can see.

Yesterday, my friend took up a collection to go to the drugstore and buy supplies for the rescue effort. When she got there, she told the store manager why she was there and asked if he could give her a discount so she could buy a little more. He said of course, and she proceeded to shop accordingly. When she got to the register, the manager came over and said, "No charge."

So when she got to the Red Cross, we were able to donate money AND supplies.
 
Bob Peale

that is a great story. let's face it, there are not many store managers who would go to that extreme to donate goods. i think the manager deserves a plaque of recognition for his charity contribution to the effort at hand.

he definitly deserves more than just thanks. perhaps a friendly letter to the editor in the local newspaper even?

it is just a shame that it takes a tragedy to bring people of all walks of life and color and religous backgrounds together. think how wonderful life would be if we all got along like this every day.
truly, brothers and sisters walking hand in hand.
 
Maybe Im an eternal optimist but I have always wanted this for our world. TO end the violence, famine, war. Peace, harmony and enough for all. *sigh* We all can try to make the world a better place, never give up. *hugs*
 
I beg to differ with batter about not many store managers that would give away stuff. Being in retail I know almost every manager I know, which is literally hundreds, would, and does give away at times like this. The hard part is that we can't just give away the whole inventory. Usually there is procedures for donations, and it has to clear home office. As a manager myself, I have given away hundreds of dollars of ribbon, fabric, pins etc. this week to various events and drives. But, unfortunately, have also said no. There are some people that don't understand I cannot give it all away. It is a business.
 
Merelan said:
There are some people that don't understand I cannot give it all away. It is a business.

I understand. I heard on TV about some of the specific items needed in NY - the company I work for has them or has connections to get them. We cleared out our "excess" inventory and sent it to N.Y. - but you can't send ALL of your inventory or there is nothing left to run the business. Even getting more from suppliers is tough because all available inventory of some of the needed items is headed to NY already and there may be shortages until more can be made.
 
Merelan

perhaps i didnt make myself clear, but you made the point i was after...businesses have supplies they can donate, but they also have a business to run.
there have been stories (true or false) circulating about price gouging etc.
i just thought it was great that the manager allowed the goods to be donated after they were brought to the counter and not before so as not to be cleaned out, thus enabling the money to be donated with the goods.
i did not mean to try and sound like retailers are not helping or anything along that line.
 
Back
Top