Put down the damned Cell Phones!!!!!!

SeaCat

Hey, my Halo is smoking
Joined
Sep 23, 2003
Posts
15,378
My wife and I were out for a ride today. Nothing new there.

We were cruising along on a triple, three lanes in each direction not counting turning lanes. We were in the left lane doing roughly 50 MPH when I saw the car swerve.

He went from the right hand lane into the left turn lane without looking. I saw him start his move and reacted without thinking about it. I grabbed my brakes and felt the front tire start to lock up. There was no way I could slow enough to avoid him as he came across so I did what I had to. I released the brake, waited that split second for the weight to shift a bit and pushed.

Now in riding we have a very quick, somewhat violent move called a swerve. The speed and violence are determined by how hard you push. In this case I was doing 50 MPH and I pushed hard. I pushed right then I immediately pushed left even as I felt the bike move beneath me and heard the tires scream. The bike moved about ten feet to the right in less than a second. We're talking the "Beast" and us transported instantly. As soon as I felt the bike straighten up again I grabbed the brakes and slowed even more. Now the car sailed past us with maybe enough room to drop a small ham between my front tire and his back bumper.

Now one of the changes to my bike are dual Highway Horns. These horns put out 185 Decibles each. When I hit them it sounds like a cargo ship. I layed on these horns and everyone around us reacted. (I like being heard.:cool:) The car locked up his brakes and the cop behind us hit his lights. The Lexus slid to a stop with the cop inches from his bumper as my wife and I pulled over to the side of the road.

After a bit the cop pulled off the road as the Lexus left. The cop came back to us and explained the guy had said he hadn't seen us because he was texting on his phone as he drove.:eek: The cop asked if we were okay and I admitted that we were, although neither of us had to worry about constipation for a bit.

I understand how usefull Cell Phones are. Hell I have one myself. I just wish they would outlaw using them on the roads.

Cat
 
My wife and I were out for a ride today. Nothing new there.

We were cruising along on a triple, three lanes in each direction not counting turning lanes. We were in the left lane doing roughly 50 MPH when I saw the car swerve.

He went from the right hand lane into the left turn lane without looking. I saw him start his move and reacted without thinking about it. I grabbed my brakes and felt the front tire start to lock up. There was no way I could slow enough to avoid him as he came across so I did what I had to. I released the brake, waited that split second for the weight to shift a bit and pushed.

Now in riding we have a very quick, somewhat violent move called a swerve. The speed and violence are determined by how hard you push. In this case I was doing 50 MPH and I pushed hard. I pushed right then I immediately pushed left even as I felt the bike move beneath me and heard the tires scream. The bike moved about ten feet to the right in less than a second. We're talking the "Beast" and us transported instantly. As soon as I felt the bike straighten up again I grabbed the brakes and slowed even more. Now the car sailed past us with maybe enough room to drop a small ham between my front tire and his back bumper.

Now one of the changes to my bike are dual Highway Horns. These horns put out 185 Decibles each. When I hit them it sounds like a cargo ship. I layed on these horns and everyone around us reacted. (I like being heard.:cool:) The car locked up his brakes and the cop behind us hit his lights. The Lexus slid to a stop with the cop inches from his bumper as my wife and I pulled over to the side of the road.

After a bit the cop pulled off the road as the Lexus left. The cop came back to us and explained the guy had said he hadn't seen us because he was texting on his phone as he drove.:eek: The cop asked if we were okay and I admitted that we were, although neither of us had to worry about constipation for a bit.

I understand how usefull Cell Phones are. Hell I have one myself. I just wish they would outlaw using them on the roads.

Cat
Cat...

As of July 1, 2008, it is illegal to use a cellphone while driving in CA unless you are using a hands free device.

Glad you are alright.
 
Cat...

As of July 1, 2008, it is illegal to use a cellphone while driving in CA unless you are using a hands free device.

Glad you are alright.

We're fine but there are two pairs of denims in the trash.:eek:

Cat
 
It has been illegal here for quite a little while but nine times out of ten, when I see someone do something stupid, they are holding a cell phone to their head. Don't expect outlawing it to fix such things. Glad you two are okay. :rose:
 
Cellphones used to be an "in case of emergency" thing people kept in the glovebox of the car. Now, it seems they are glued to ears... or thumbs... 24/7/365.

Personally, I hate phones of any type and avoid them as much as possible.

Keep blowing those horns, Cat. Take care.
 
It's illegal in about 6 states to use a cell phone while driving, without a handsfree device.

Many other states are also working at outlawing texting while driving in addition to the handsfree sets.

BTW, the cop could have given him a careless/reckless driving ticket.
 
We're fine but there are two pairs of denims in the trash.:eek:

Cat

Glad you are OK.

It never fails to amaze me how many selfist scumbags feel the need to endanger others on the road by talking or texting while they drive.

It is illegal in NY but the fine is only a slap on the wrist. My vote would be 4-figure fines and serious moving violation points for those caught talking or texting on cellphones.
 
Glad you are OK.

It never fails to amaze me how many selfist scumbags feel the need to endanger others on the road by talking or texting while they drive.

It is illegal in NY but the fine is only a slap on the wrist. My vote would be 4-figure fines and serious moving violation points for those caught talking or texting on cellphones.

I think it is illegal here in Jersey too, but that doesn't appear to stop anyone. I think it should require jail time for your first offense of reckless driving while on the phone.
 
Cali went Hands-Free this month & lots of people still have them on their ears.

Butt texting, reading, etc is legal :rolleyes:

You only need one hand & foot to drive IF you have 1/2 a brain
 
There are handheld bans as of February this year in:

California
Connecticut
D.C.
Illinois by jurisdiction
Massachusetts by jurisdiction
Michigan by jurisdiction
New Jersey
New Mexico by jurisdiction
New York
Ohio by jurisdiction
Pennsylvania by jurisdiction
Washington

In comparison, these are the countries that have bans (according to the Highway Safety Association):

Australia
Austria
Britain
Brazil
Chile
Denmark
Germany
Greece
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Japan
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Philippines
Romania
Singapore
Slovenia
S. Africa
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Turkey
 
Cat, look at the stats we are getting enough people injured by drivers on the phone that it will soon be worse than drunks :eek:
 
Cat, look at the stats we are getting enough people injured by drivers on the phone that it will soon be worse than drunks :eek:

From what I've read, cellphone users are 3 times as bad as drunken drivers.

We need a new moving violation; DWP: Driving while phoning. :mad:
 
From what I've read, cellphone users are 3 times as bad as drunken drivers.

We need a new moving violation; DWP: Driving while phoning. :mad:

They are always trying to outlaw dumbass, they just multiply too fast :eek:
 
They are always trying to outlaw dumbass, they just multiply too fast :eek:

The sad thing is that most cell phones can be set up to be used almost totally hands free. Your hands shouldn't have to leave the wheel.

I had a certain issue today with work that I had to do a conference call on my cell as I had to drive to a different site. I had everything set up hands-free because I knew I would have to drive.

The problem is that people don't realize how dangerous they really are. Even talking to someone else who rides with you is distracting. But texting... I'm sorry; it involves hands and eyes, both which should be focused on the road. That's just plain stupid.
 
The sad thing is that most cell phones can be set up to be used almost totally hands free. Your hands shouldn't have to leave the wheel.

I had a certain issue today with work that I had to do a conference call on my cell as I had to drive to a different site. I had everything set up hands-free because I knew I would have to drive.

The problem is that people don't realize how dangerous they really are. Even talking to someone else who rides with you is distracting. But texting... I'm sorry; it involves hands and eyes, both which should be focused on the road. That's just plain stupid.

distractions of any kind are dangerous while driving.
 
T.......These are the countries that have bans (according to the Highway Safety Association):

Australia
Austria
Britain
Brazil
Chile
Denmark
Germany
Greece
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Japan
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Philippines
Romania
Singapore
Slovenia
S. Africa
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Turkey

You left out UK:

New penalties for illegal mobile phone use from today,uesday, 27 February 2007

Motorists face tough new penalties for breaking the law by using a hand-held mobile phone while driving from today. The fixed penalty will for the first time include the award of three penalty points as well as doubling the fine to £60.

Transport Secretary Douglas Alexander said:

"Research shows that talking on a mobile phone while driving affects your concentration and ability to react to dangerous situations. It's quite simple - it's impossible to do two things at once and do them well. That is why in December 2003 we introduced new laws preventing motorists from driving while using a hand-held mobile.

"We have seen a groundswell of support for this move. But, worryingly, while 92% of people agree with the law, 21% of drivers admit to breaking it. That is why, from 27 February, the Road Safety Act will introduce a tougher fixed penalty of three points on your licence as well as a £60 fine."

A campaign to raise awareness of the new fixed penalty is currently running and includes radio, press and online activity raising awareness of both the change in penalties and the dangers of using a mobile phone whilst driving. This educational approach goes hand in hand with continued enforcement activity by the police. Home Office figures for 2004 show that nearly 74,000 fixed penalty notices were issued for illegal use of a mobile phone while driving.

DfT continues to work closely with private partners, including the mobile phone industry, to ensure mobile phone users are made aware of the changes and how it affects them.

---------------------------------

It's not tough enough. It should be more.

I won't even have my phone turned on when driving, unless someone else is with me to answer it. The reflex response to just pick it up and answer is too strong....and far too dangerous.
 
Virtually no one in Portugal gives diddly squit about the no cell law. I'm generally the slowest driver on the road - I drive at the speed limit. People pass me all the time at way over the limit, tailgating the driver in front, while talking on their cell. It's odd that there aren't more accidents... on the other hand, we had a decade with the highest road traffic deaths in Europe... I think they still are, and the completely stupid eliminate themselves. Unfortunately they sometimes take others with them. I have a nasty habit of sounding the horn if I'm following someone using a cell.

Glad you are both OK, Seacat. Good job you know your machine and how to avoid trouble.
 
time to be a vigilante

The first time I bought a cellphone, I got a earpiece. I guess im the exception. I afraid to buy a motorcyle just for your recent experience. The last time I got cut off by somebody who was busy texting to see me in the next lane, I laid on the horn and put the fear of God into them. I followed the car yelling every obsenity I could muster till I sounded like Ralphie in "A xmas story" I never got out the car but memorized the tag number when we pulled up to a stop light. But I so wanted to get out the car and commit the kind of road rage that one laughs at on youtube. When I pulled up to the side of the car, I saw it was a teenage girl and she was starting to cry. I rolled up my window and let her leave at the light change, hoping that she would leave the damn phone in the seat. I actually stopped by the police department to see if anything could have been done, but I got nada. I guess i would have had to break the law myself to report her for violating it. There is no justice. BTW, do you always notice at a traffic accident that everyone has a cell phone attached to their ear? I wonder if they are calling the cops or still on their last conversation.
 
In the UK the government are considering making any road accident contributed to by a driver using a mobile phone (not hands-free) as "dangerous driving" which carries higher penalties than "driving without due care and attention". If a death occurred it would be classed as "death caused by dangerous driving" which would have a higher penalty even than death caused by DUI.

Og
 
From what I've read, cellphone users are 3 times as bad as drunken drivers.

We need a new moving violation; DWP: Driving while phoning. :mad:
Driving While Distracted is already illegal and has been for decades -- some places it's a subsection of the Reckless Driving definition, but every state that subscribes to the Uniform Traffic Code has Distracted Driving prohibitions on the books somewhere.
 
I agree I hate the danged things when people are trying to drive and talking/texting on them.
 
After a bit the cop pulled off the road as the Lexus left. The cop came back to us and explained the guy had said he hadn't seen us because he was texting on his phone as he drove.:eek: The cop asked if we were okay and I admitted that we were, although neither of us had to worry about constipation for a bit.

I understand how usefull Cell Phones are. Hell I have one myself. I just wish they would outlaw using them on the roads.

Cat

Glad to know you and your wife are okay, Cat. I own a cellphone, but rarely do I use it in the car without my bluetooth activated. And I NEVER text while driving, that's just asking for trouble.

I think there should be more states that put a ban on using a cell while driving without a hands free device. Although, I think part of the distraction is the actual conversation on the phone. I know there have been a few times I've been talking and lose my concentration on the road.

When that happens, I tell the person on the other end I'll call them back. It's not worth my life or someone else's (not to mention higher insurance premiums) to talk on the phone while driving.

I don't think anyone is that important to need to do that. In emergency situations, okay, I have no problem with that, but I see these assholes (men and women both) driving uber expensive cars (usually a Hummer, Cadillac Escalade and the like) wearing immaculate clothing, with a friggin' phone held to their ear.

The situation I encountered today was nothing like yours, but I was nearly side-swiped by some teenager talking on the phone and not paying attention to the road. He pulled out of the driveway of a gas station just as I was passing. If I hadn't seen him, he'd have hit me for sure. I sped up so he would miss me and the car behind me slammed on his brakes and honked at the moron. The idiot didn't even know what he'd done and flipped the guy off.

It would be nice if there were federal laws in place that would cover all states and cell usage while driving. Although, just like every other law, they wouldn't be obeyed.
 
Back
Top