Underutilized punctuation

When in doubt, I go with the simplest punctuation and sentence structure. However, I tend to write long sentences making heavy use of em dashes and parentheses, so sometimes simplicity goes out the window. It depends on what I'm trying to say. I try to let content dictate form rather than the reverse.
Not trying to change anyone's style, but it's my understanding semi-colons are not favored these days by fiction editors. The theory appears to be that with the every decreasing attention span of the average reader, shorter is better than longer for both sentences and paragraphs. It follows, therefore, as night doth the day, that fiction agent/editor types tend to prefer two short sentences instead of one long one with a semi-colon.

That said, and IMHO, no writer should hesitate to use a long sentence with a semi-colon if that's what the story needs. But it'd probably be best to keep 'em to a minimum.


Rumple Foreskin :cool:
 
Not trying to change anyone's style, but it's my understanding semi-colons are not favored these days by fiction editors. The theory appears to be that with the every decreasing attention span of the average reader, shorter is better than longer for both sentences and paragraphs. It follows, therefore, as night doth the day, that fiction agent/editor types tend to prefer two short sentences instead of one long one with a semi-colon.

That said, and IMHO, no writer should hesitate to use a long sentence with a semi-colon if that's what the story needs. But it'd probably be best to keep 'em to a minimum.


Rumple Foreskin :cool:

Interesting theory. Tell us, have any of these theorists bothered to do some quantitative studies to prove it one way or another? Or is this just one of those things that everyone in the Chattering Classes just knows is true?
 
Not trying to change anyone's style, but it's my understanding semi-colons are not favored these days by fiction editors. The theory appears to be that with the every decreasing attention span of the average reader, shorter is better than longer for both sentences and paragraphs. It follows, therefore, as night doth the day, that fiction agent/editor types tend to prefer two short sentences instead of one long one with a semi-colon.

That said, and IMHO, no writer should hesitate to use a long sentence with a semi-colon if that's what the story needs. But it'd probably be best to keep 'em to a minimum.

Rumple Foreskin :cool:

Sounds like it should make sense (other than your shouting part), but I can't say that any of the publishers who send me fiction books to edit have said anything about cutting down on semicolons. And I don't really try to mark them out as long as they are employed correctly.
 
Sounds like it should make sense (other than your shouting part), but I can't say that any of the publishers who send me fiction books to edit have said anything about cutting down on semicolons. And I don't really try to mark them out as long as they are employed correctly.

Not shouting, 71, just recovering from eye surgery. The larger type makes it easier to double-check my posts. It was even worse when I first came back on the AH. In those days I was using size four instead of three.

Manque, I've heard this from agent/editor types at a couple conferences and read it on writing boards. As 71 said, it makes sense but to the best of my knowledge, there's been no analysis of semi-colon use in modern fiction.

Rumple Foreskin
:cool:
 
Not shouting, 71, just recovering from eye surgery. The larger type makes it easier to double-check my posts. It was even worse when I first came back on the AH. In those days I was using size four instead of three.

Manque, I've heard this from agent/editor types at a couple conferences and read it on writing boards. As 71 said, it makes sense but to the best of my knowledge, there's been no analysis of semi-colon use in modern fiction.

Rumple Foreskin
:cool:


Oh, OK. I get it. Carry on
 
Not shouting, 71, just recovering from eye surgery. The larger type makes it easier to double-check my posts. It was even worse when I first came back on the AH. In those days I was using size four instead of three.

Manque, I've heard this from agent/editor types at a couple conferences and read it on writing boards. As 71 said, it makes sense but to the best of my knowledge, there's been no analysis of semi-colon use in modern fiction.

Rumple Foreskin
:cool:

Hot Spit! Another doctoral thesis just crying to be researched and written . . . by someone else!
 
'Scuse I, just pulling the thread back on topic for a moment
ETA: Hey! What's so unreal about the editors here?

Nothing that I'm aware of - the unreal editor I use is myself :eek: and sometimes the cat. Hence my rampant misuse of commas et al.


OK, I'm done now, go back to your football :D
 
Last edited:
Not trying to change anyone's style, but it's my understanding semi-colons are not favored these days by fiction editors. The theory appears to be that with the every decreasing attention span of the average reader, shorter is better than longer for both sentences and paragraphs. It follows, therefore, as night doth the day, that fiction agent/editor types tend to prefer two short sentences instead of one long one with a semi-colon.

That said, and IMHO, no writer should hesitate to use a long sentence with a semi-colon if that's what the story needs. But it'd probably be best to keep 'em to a minimum.


Rumple Foreskin :cool:

I actually only use the semicolon maybe once or twice per story/chapter (which are in the 5000-7000 word area). I'm a write as you speak kind of author, so while my sentences can get long, they are generally relatively simple. Sometimes two thoughts don't deserve to be separated by an "and" or divorced by a period.
 
:D:D:D

Get kind of loud on game day, does it?


We mute the TV and just listen to the stadium announcer. And the traffic . . . We don't drive down the hill on those days at all.

When I went there, you could just meander into the game at any point and have a whole row of seats to yourself--of course then we had our victory parties the night before so that we wouldn't be disappointed.
 
We mute the TV and just listen to the stadium announcer. And the traffic . . . We don't drive down the hill on those days at all.

When I went there, you could just meander into the game at any point and have a whole row of seats to yourself--of course then we had our victory parties the night before so that we wouldn't be disappointed.

Oh, no! :eek:
 
Band people never missed a game.

(or a party)

:D

We only had a concert band and I'm not aware that they ever threw parties. My best man was one of the best reed players and he never told me about any.

Actually, my university was a geek school before anyone even knew what a geek was.
 
Back
Top