13 Days of Scary Movies 2024! ๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿ‘ป๐Ÿ•ธ๐Ÿ•ท๐Ÿ”ช๐Ÿฉธ๐Ÿ‘ฝ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿค–โ›ช๏ธ๐Ÿช“๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿฆ‡

Day 1: The very first scary movie you ever saw.

probably - The Cat And The Canary
Not really a scary movie as it is a Bob Hope comedy, but it had some non-funny bits that made me jump. It seems to have dropped off the radar

Oops... a little late on the first day. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜…

Ghost Story - John Irwin 1971

I was probably 7 years old.

There was a scene that scared and scarred me.
tumblr_om5i2kprd11tr6ni8o1_500.gif

This then resulted in this bloke falling out of a window

(Removed naked bloke but left the scary bride.๐Ÿคฃ
Because willies bad.
Ghosts good.)

which also scarred me and scared me.

Last edited:
Day 1: The very first scary movie you ever saw

I remember seeing this movie at my brotherโ€™s friendโ€™s house in the neighborhood. I was just tagging along, hanging out with them. I even remember his mom warning me that it might be a little too scary for me but I wanted to be cool and hang with my brother. It was definitely too scary for me.

Jumanji
giphy.gif

974BA639-07D4-4D83-9C92-81C83B42012E-50271-000007CDEBB0741E.jpeg

Night of the Lepus

I will just add that there was this huge field in the middle of the city, an agriculture project for the college, and I don't know what they were doing or not doing but when the sun went down there was just a writhing mass of jackrabbits as far as the headlights would go on both sides of the road through for about a mile and a half.

There used to be three networks. And they would do "TV Movie of the Week." ABC did one called Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. It was about this couple who buy an old house. The fireplace in the basement is bricked up and sealed. The handyman says "fuck, no, don't open that." Guess what they do? Of course they do. So they release these prunefaced little harry bastard goblins who want to either hurt or capture the wife -- they go back and forth. She sees them hiding around the house. She hears them whispering. Whispering that they want her, that she belongs to them. The house is theirs, and so is she. She tells people, but she is a woman and this is 1973, so of course no one believes her. All of them, including her husband, think she is just imagining things and is just being silly. She is just being hysterical. The growing fear, not just of the things in the dark but also that they might be right suffused the film with a nice feel of oppression and paranoia.

This clip gives you a feel for the movie.

It was a 1973 made for TV movie, so it looks dated now. But keep in mind: I was fucking five-years old. I was convinced these things were real, were in my house, and were after me. I sat there on the couch, absolutely terrified. I remember my mother asking, during a commercial break, if I would run out to the garage and get something. I couldn't even speak -- I was never going into the garage again. Ever! The movie didn't scare me, it scarred me. Forever after, I heard these things, whispering. I remember clearly laying frozen on my bed, feeling them walk around on my mattress in the dark. I dream very vividly, and apparently always have, but this still feels like a memory rather than a dream, even fifty years later.
Guillermo del Toro said this was the scariest film he ever saw, and remade in in 2011. I love del Toro, but I haven't seen it. I am still afraid of the dark.

Oh, the swimming pool scene still puts my heart in my throat, even sitting here thinking about it.
I was really little and wasnโ€™t supposed to be up. I was watching around the side of the couch. Gave me nightmares for years. And this is the reason for the no alligators rule lol

Ghost Story - John Irwin 1971

I was probably 7 years old.

There was a scene that scared and scarred me.
tumblr_om5i2kprd11tr6ni8o1_500.gif

This then resulted in this bloke falling out of a window

(Removed naked bloke but left the scary bride.๐Ÿคฃ
Because willies bad.
Ghosts good.)

which also scarred me and scared me.
Saw this in the theater. That cast! Fred Astaire, Melvyn Douglas, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., and John Houseman -- holy shit! You couldn't remake this today with a better group for The Chowder Society, the four storytellers with a secret. Really good film. But if you like the movie, read the book. It is way more in-depth and original.

Alien
I remember one of my best friends trying to tell us about seeing this movie while we were changing clothes in the locker room after athletics. As best I can recall he was trying to describe the chest burster scene when I sneezed and he levitated a good three feet with probably the second most hilarious sound effect.

Alien
Still in my top ten. Saw it in a theater, a big one back when the theater only had one screen. So you are in a huge, dark room, surrounded by people moving very quietly around you. It was perfect. I still see it in the theater whenever it comes back around.

Without no doubt this one!
When my brother and I would spend the weekend with my grandparents, my brother and grandfather would pick a video from Blockbuster and my grandmother and I would pick another to watch.

My brother was around 8 or so when he chose Child's Play to watch and I got to watch Gidget with Nana. Papa definitely didn't realize what it was about. ๐Ÿ˜†

When my brother and I would spend the weekend with my grandparents, my brother and grandfather would pick a video from Blockbuster and my grandmother and I would pick another to watch.

My brother was around 8 or so when he chose Child's Play to watch and I got to watch Gidget with Nana. Papa definitely didn't realize what it was about. ๐Ÿ˜†
Oh I feel bad for them both. I was legit scared of dolls for a bit

I really can't say for sure. I just know when I was six or seven all my friends at school were already watching slasher flicks (or so they said) and I was begging my mom and being denied. Let's just say it took a long time to appreciate that that was a pretty normal response on her part ๐Ÿ˜‚

I do remember watching The Haunting when it came out on VHS or maybe DVD? It wasn't too intense and I've always loved ghosts so it was a better place to start lol.

MV5BMzBhMThiM2YtMWQ1OS00NmMyLWI4NGMtMjE3YzBmMTBiODJhL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Back