Absolution (closed)

"I'll keep them all safe as I can," Brigan murmured softly, having quietly watched the exchange between his brother and sister. "He does 'is best, you know. But 'e knows he might blow up at Ma or th' twins if 'e lets th'pressure build up too long."

“I’d trade places with him in an instant if I could. Let him be the one that runs away from all of this and starts a new life.” Selena said softly as Brogan spoke about keeping them all safe. “I wish I could make it better.”

Brogan sighed, leaning forward with his arms resting on his knees as he looked into the fire. "With you an' Durban gone, it'll be up to me t'make it better. An' I will, by any means necessary. Inverness ought t'be a haven like it was in our great-grandfather's day... A place people, even werefolk, can go to t'be safe an' have some peace. It migh' not happen soon with Lochlan still out there... But one day, maybe... Most importantly, and soon, it'll stop bein' a prison for us an' Ma an' the people here who can' leave."

“And you’re ready for that? For Da to die and to take the throne?” Selena asked, looking at Brogan as he spoke poetically about the future. “You’ll never be free, Brogan. You’ll always have a duty to Inverness, no matter where you wish to travel. It will be hard, especially when no one has stayed around.”

"I'm okay with tha'. It'll be my own adventure rebuildin' this place. I've never wanted t'travel much anyway." Brogan offered her a smile. "I'll be okay."

Selena reached over and touched his cheek, giving him a soft smile. "You're a better person than all of us combined. I know Ma will flourish under your rule. Hopefully one day I can come back and enjoy it with everyone."

"I'm no better than anyone else," Brogan chuckled softly. "Jus' quieter. But I'll do my best."

It was another few days before Abel was to depart, but Selena was suddenly woken the night beforehand, Ghell's hand on her shoulder as she came.to. "Selena," he whispered. "Get up. Get your things, we have to leave now."

Selena was jolted awake, groggy and a little frightened. The sun wasn't up yet and she looked up at Ghell with confusion in her dark gaze. "What's wrong?" She asked, rubbing at her dark eyes as he seemed so frantic and serious.

"Get up," Ghell repeated. "Oliver knows. He's going to lock everything down. Your father was called away to defend against an attack on Inverlochly. While Tamblin is gone, Oliver has complete control. We need to go before he can block us in." Ghell moved to her wardrobe where they'd hidden satchels with a couple outfits and gear. The rest was hidden in already-packed saddlebags under the floor of a stable shed. "Get dressed, something unassuming and good for travel, and don't forget a simple cloak. We have to slip out of town looking like travelers."

Selena was up in an instant as Ghell explained to her what had happened. With her father gone, anything could happen. She was in danger and their plan had to go into motion. She dressed quickly in a pair of loose trousers for hunting and a tunic. As she buckled her belt, she looked over at Ghell and wondered what might happen.

"I can't see Ma, can I?" She asked softly.

Ghell paused, looking to the girl he'd always seen as his daughter. "... You can, love. Just be quick, and don't leave by the main doors. Go through a window toward the stables if you have to."

Selena nodded as she passed off her satchels to him before she slipped out of her bedroom to find her mother. Kitty was curled up with Ashien and Kayla, the twins having fallen asleep while she was reading to them the night before. She lifted her head off the pillow as she heard the door open, a realization dawning when she saw Selena dressed in clothing that she didn't normally wear.

"Love?" Kitty whispered as Selena came towards the bed and immediately wrapped Kitty in a tight hug. "What's wrong?"

"I have to go, Ma." Selena said softly. "Da is gone and Oliver knows about my plans. Ghell is taking me away right now."

Kitty let out a sigh and wrapped her arm around Selena, kissing her cheek and hugging her tightly. She knew that Selena needed to escape, to get away from this hell where she would be forced into a loveless marriage.

"Write to me when you're safe. Don't tell me where you are, but let me know of your adventures." Kitty said, Selena shaking with emotion. "And remember everything I've taught you. Ghell will care for you, my love."

Selena only stayed for a moment longer before she pulled away and kissed her mother's cheek. "I love you, Ma."

"And I love you too, Selena." Kitty said, knowing that it was one of the last times she might ever see her daughter. "Always remember that."

Selena nodded, taking in the moment before had to turn to leave the room. She was soon following Ghell's advice, escaping from the keep through a window and making her way quietly and carefully to the stables.

Tamblin's horse was saddled and ready when she arrived, as one of Boar's which he'd given to Ghell for the escape. Ghell was checking straps as Selena entered, and he quickly led the horses out.

"We can't be in the open for long," he murmured. "We need to get outside the town as fast as possible without drawing attention. A good trot, but try to act natural," Ghell instructed. "If anyone asks, you're a hunter and I'm your tracker."

Selena nodded as she understood, mounting her horse and pulling a cloak up over her hair. "I know it will all sink in later, but I truly do hope that this won't be the last time I see Inverness...or Ma."

"It won't be if I have anything to say about it," Ghell promised her. "You just need to get within the territory of a High Throne lord and you'll be able to get to Brian and Marianne from there. When Colton is finally gone from Inverness, you'll be back. And hopefully, it won't be long."

"We'll make it together, uvore." Selena said, knowing that Ghell was now in as much danger as she was over this escape. "And I'll take care of you if I have to."

"... You must promise me one thing," Ghell turned to her then. "If we get into trouble, you need to run. We stand a better chance to flee from chasers if we split up. But no matter what, you can't be caught. Oliver will make your life a living hell worse than you've ever known if he catches you."

"I won't leave you behind for long, uvore." Selena said softly as Ghell made her promise that she would leave him behind if they were caught.

"You may not have a choice, eli. All I need is for you to live free." Ghell mounted his horse and began leading the way out of the courtyard through a side gate.

Selena followed after Ghell on her father's horse, staying at his heels as they took their chance through the gate. It would be a long journey off the lands of her father's holding until they got to Brian's lands. Once there, she would be free to do whatever she wanted. She would have money, supplies, and a future that was her own choosing.

They made it out toward the south end of town as the sun began to rise, carefully making their way along without attracting attention, even faking stops at early-open stalls to peruse wares. They seemed to be in the clear for some time, until Ghell drew close enough to Selena to mutter to her, "Don't look back, but we're being followed. When we come to the main junction outside town, go south. I'll turn east. If they follow me, keep going and I'll catch up with you. If they follow you, I'll find a way to draw them away."

"How will you know where to find me?" Selena asked, glancing at Ghell in concern as he informed her that someone was following them. "Uvore, I don't want to be separated from you."

"I know where you're going. I'll find you," he promised softly. "Just make it to Brian and Marianne." He leaned over to kiss her forehead as they approached the road out of town. "I love you."

“I love you too, uvore.” Selena said softly as he kissed her forehead and thy cane to the crossroads. “I’ll see you in Edinburgh.”

"Be safe, cub." Ghell split away from her then, riding to the east, glancing back just once to Selena before his horse sped off. A group of three emerged behind them, and two followed Ghell seeing him pick up speed. One continued to follow Selena at a leisurely pace, not confronting her and keeping his distance.

Back