Absolution (closed)

"No one could've been what I needed... You were everythin' you could be, a mother most of all. Never apologize fer doin' everythin' you could." Tamblin closed his one eye, falling still. He remained knelt at her side for a long time, showing her the only way he knew, how he still loved her and how deeply he felt his sins.

A few more days passed, Brogan smoothly taking the reins on many clan activities and, in the process, shutting Oliver out of them. Brogan never heeded the whispers of danger and war in his ear, instead bringing Cole and Ciaran to his side as his trusted fellows. He hired new staff, including a spitfire young cook who quickly had the entire kitchen under her control. For the first time in years, the staff was beginning to smile and laugh with some of the new additions and Brogan's kind direction.

Oliver, meanwhile, silently seethed. His spy network was dismantled and replaced with a stronger city watch and royal guard almost overnight, over a hundred people hired into new jobs that would soon aid the economy. Brogan also got Tamblin's approval to revive the Central market square with a fountain and a new statue of the Ghis bear. Within two weeks, Brogan had even brought people in to revive the gardens, selling unneeded horses and baubles to afford many of the changes.

Kitty was right there at Brogan's side, helping him make some decisions about the future of Inverness. When he faltered, she was right there to encourage, watching as the keep slowly came to life as he brought in new staff.

"It'll be like it used to be before long." Kitty commented as she walked with him among the new gardening plots. "Back when I first came to Inverness, this garden was bright and colorful. Your grandmother had worked hard on it during her life and after she died, your Da couldn't bring himself to do anything with it."

"Tha's the idea. Make things good as they once were, then go from there. It migh' take my whole life 'r more, but all I want is for Inverness t'be a haven." Brogan glanced around as landscapers planted new flowers and shrubs, already bringing vibrant colors to the once-bare garden. "But I'm okay with startin' here, in the garden." Brogan smiled gently, always appreciating small things.

"You have your siblings to divide and conquer too." Kitty pointed out. "You could send one to Inverlochly to keep the peace there and another somewhere else. When Kayla is old enough, I would like to send her to Marianne in Edinburgh to give her an experience outside of Inverness and the same with Ashien. Sending them separate places will be hard, but it will show them that they can do things on their own."

Kitty paused as she looked over the row of herbs that had been planted, the green plants so tiny and fragile looking. "Brogan, I need you to know that you don't have to do this. I don't want your father to talk you into something that will scar you for the rest of your life."

"He 'asn't talked me into anything," Brogan assured her softly. "Doesn' say terribly much, really... He's fallin' apart, Ma. I don' know what 'e's told you... But I think 'is health's failin'. Too many years o' drinkin' an' bein' so constantly scared an' exhausted. He's in pain all th'time. I think... Well, I'm no doctor, but I think 'e migh' have whatever Ashelin has, but more aggressive. Or maybe after 'is leg never healed, an infection's finally startin' to destroy 'im. Either way... Da's dyin'... An' he's terrified of it, but far more terrified o' the pain. He can't take it anymore." Brogan paused with a long sigh. "He's done, Ma... An' while I don' want t'fight 'im... I want t'do things his way, prove he's leavin' things in capable hands, an' maybe give 'im a little dignity an' honor as 'e goes."

“Your father never tells me anything about his health.” Kitty said softly as Brogan explained why he was doing this and what he had discussed with Tamblin. “I admire you, love, but I worry about you.”

"I know it'll hurt... Both him an' me. But I feel like givin' him a good end is th'last thing I can do for 'im."

Brogan wrapped an arm around Kitty. "I don' know what else t'do for 'im. He jus' wants t'sleep."

“He’s not a wild dog, Brogan. He’s your father...and my husband.” Kitty said softly. “But if you feel that this is best and he agrees, there is little I can do to convince either of you otherwise.”

"I never said 'e was anythin' less than my father," Brogan's brows furrowed at that. "I've never thought o' him as anythin' less. But he wants to go... Th'way I see it, I can either give 'im some dignity by lettin' 'im fall in battle, or he'll just crawl into some hole an' die alone, even kill 'imself if 'e can't take it anymore."

Kitty looked into Brogan's dark gaze and saw no malice. She saw understanding and kindness there. There was not a speck of Tamblin in Brogan and for that she was thankful. Kitty reached up and touched his cheek, giving him a sad smile.

"There will be a world on your shoulders that you might not be prepared for, my love, but I will be there with you every step of the way. As long as I'm able, I will support you." Kitty said softly, promising him everything that she could.

Brogan's arms wrapped around Kitty as he hugged her tightly, her once-tiny boy now a giant like his brothers and father, with a heart to match. "An' I'll be here for you fer the rest o' your days, Ma... An' I look forward t'seein' our family grow an' prosper."

"Don't lose that sweetness, my love. It will be what saves you every time." Kitty murmured as Brogan hugged her tightly, promising to support her for the rest of her days. "No matter what happens, always remember that you have a heart."

"I will, Ma." Brogan laid his head against hers for a long moment before finally walking inside with her.

It was another week before finally, Tamblin quietly emerged from the dark of the library to face Brogan. Kitty came upon them in the great hall, Brogan holding his father tightly as nearby, Boar stood with a confusing, stony expression holding both their Claymores. It was raining heavily outside, thunder shaking the keep every so often, so the duel would take place inside.

Kitty paused when she came upon the scene, her heart sinking as her two sons stood near their father. All three of them had serious expressions, Brogan holding onto Tamblin as tightly as he possibly could. She didn't like what she saw, but she knew after having talked to Brogan that there was little that she could do to stop any of them.

"Boys." Kitty said softly, drawing their attention as she approached, pausing beside them. "Give me a moment with your father."

As Tamblin parted from Brogan, it became clear just how pale and sickly he looked compared to his sons now. He'd just started to lose muscle mass as well after having stayed inside hidden away for so long.

Brogan and Boar stepped away as Tamblin quietly faced Kitty, his head bowed.

"Tamblin Ghis never bows his head." Kitty said softly as he tried to melt into the stones right there in front of her. "At least not the Tamblin that I loved."

Kitty reached out and touched his cheek gently, raising his good eye to her as they stared at one another. "This isn't your only choice, love. We can get you somewhere safe where you can live out the rest of your days in peace. You don't have to die."

"I'm done, Kitty," he murmured softly, trying to straighten up a bit for her sake. "... I've made what peace I can... I jus' want it all t'stop." For the first time in years, Kitty saw tears threaten to fall, and Tamblin didn't try to hide it. "Every minute o' every day... My head jus' spins an' races... Every fear 'r bad memory I've ever 'ad jus' comes out o' nowhere an' won' go away... And... An' I'm startin' to lose memories." His one eye closed as he shook his head. "I almos' forgot my own little girl's name..."

There was nothing that she could say to him as he confessed that his memory was starting to go. There was something in the makeup of the way the Ghis family was made that told them all that honor was important and fading away wasn't an option. While she wished there was another way, it seemed that for them, there wasn't.

"Kayla will never forget you." Kitty said softly. "And neither will Selena, no matter how much she protests and tries to, I won't let her."

Tamblin took a tentative step closer to her before finally wrapping her up in a familiar but long-lost embrace. "I love you," he murmured softly. "I always did... Even a' my worst... Even if I didn' show it. I always loved all o' you."

Kitty hugged Tamblin tightly, her face buried against his shoulder as he murmured that he had always loved her. She had never lost that guilt that she felt at betraying Tamblin for Vincenzo, but neither of them had been right for each other. They had provided comfort and understanding. Kitty had given him his legacy with six beautiful and kind children. However, it seemed that as they got older, they couldn't be what the other needed.

"And I love you." She said in a soft whisper. "And I'll be here with you until the bitter end if that's what it takes. We'll take care of you."

As they finally parted, Tamblin took a deep breath and forced himself to stand up straight. He turned, and soon he and Brogan came to face one another in the center of the great hall, the tables pushed aside and the inner square open between four pillars. Boar brought Tamblin his blade first, and then Brogan. Tamblin drew his own, chipped and old but still sharp. Brogan's gleamed from his constant care, always sharpened carefully to take out any nicks to the edge.

Kitty felt rooted in place as she watched Tamblin and Brogan take up their positions in the middle of the great hall. She didn't want to watch, but she knew that she owed it to Tamblin to stay. She simply hoped that the twins remained unaware of what was happening and stayed out of the great hall until the deed was done.

Boar quietly took his place beside Kitty, his expression far from the usual anger and determination. He was far more melancholy as he faced what would be the true end of his father, despite how he'd thought he wanted the man to die for so long.

Brogan and Tamblin saluted one another with their blades, each taking up very similar, calm and loose but defensive postures. Brogan had learned all he knew from Durban, and then tempered that knowledge by watching Tamblin until Brogan now outdid all of his siblings with a sword, especially a broad Claymore.

Some of the staff had quietly gathered as well, but some left after being startled by the first clash of the blades ringing through the keep. Already, Kitty could see Brogan was stronger as Tamblin was forced a step back. Even Tamblin looked surprised. While Brogan was a giant to normal folk, he was still smaller than Tamblin or Durban and probably always would be.

The second clash brought a grunt of pain out of Tamblin, his arms aching from deflecting a heavy blow. When he tried to counter, he was neatly disarmed and his sword clattered to the floor. All in attendance had to hold back gasps of shock.

Brogan sighed softly, lowering his blade. "Da. You're better than this," he echoed what had once been said to Selena. "You taught us all better than this." He knelt to pick up the old sword. "Take it an' fight like I know you can. Or 'ave you changed your mind...?" Brogan offered him a way out, to reconsider getting help or retiring peacefully.

Tamblin took the blade slowly, taking a deep breath. "I made my choice, lad..." He murmured. Once Brogan was ready again, they clashed once more.

Kitty took Boar’s arm, stoically watching as the pair fought until Brogan insisted that Tamblin could do better. She took a steadying breath, forcing herself to watch them. She had to do this one last favor to Tamblin, giving him an honorable death if that is what he really wished.

As the fight went on, it became clear that Tamblin had lost his strength since his fight with Durban, and Brogan was going easy to give his father a chance to warm up and really retaliate. But as he saw Tamblin was horribly outmatched, Brogan knew Tamblin would fall without fail.

The duel only lasted five minutes, ended by two broad slashes and one lunge forward. His tunic ripped open across his chest and right arm, blood spilled down Tamblin's front. But he didn't care about those two wounds. He stared down at Brogan's blade, impaling him through the stomach, the other end visible from his back.

The old Claymore clattered to the floor and Tamblin collapsed backward, the sword pulling from his stomach as he went. Brogan was left standing, trembling as his father so silently fell under his might.

Despite his shock, Brogan was sthe first to react. Dropping his own blade, he came to Tamblin's side, finding the man still alive, still breathing heavily, staring at the ceiling with a strange expression. It as a touch of confusion, but also peace.

"Good lad," Tamblin muttered hoarsely, before he passed out entirely.

Back