Absolution (closed)

"There's nothing here for me, Lynndon." Selena admitted, looking up at her brother as he talked about coming to see her if she wouldn't come back to Inverness. "And I like my little home. It's on a loch. It's lovely. No one bothers me there."

"... I think I always knew you'd leave. I think most of us will, a' least fer a while. Except Brogan. He strikes me as th'sort who'll be here all 'is life. Him an' Ma."

"Ma has nowhere else to go. This has been her home for longer than anywhere else." Selena answered simply. "I only hope that Vincenzo is able to come here. I don't know what Ma would do without him."

"He'll come... I jus' don' know if he'll be able t'stay. I hope 'e can, but 'e 'as a lot back in Venice t'worry about." Boar turned to his pack and drew out some supplies he'd packed, beginning to prepare a simple meal.

Kitty had been able to spend some much needed time with Ashelin and Valentina as Warwick went to help Brogan sort through some things in the great hall. Kitty knew her time with Ashelin was growing short and she would spend as much of it with her dear friend as possible.

Valentina had told Kitty that she was sorry to hear about Tamblin and Kitty in turn wrapped the little girl up in the tightest hug. It had been the first time that she had hugged the child since she was a newborn and she couldn't say how good it felt to do that without fear.

Ashelin gladly encouraged Valentina to pursue more of a relationship with Kitty. The girl knew Kitty was her real mother, but it had never been quite explained to her why Kitty couldn't be around much, except that Kitty was married to Tamblin and Valentina was not his daughter.

Brogan's coronation was a quiet one, and it seemed that tensions had settled for a moment between Inverness and a few outside clans, and the existing wars were kept at bay. Two quiet months passed before Kitty was suddenly woken one evening, only an hour after she'd gone to bed. She found Brogan's hands on her shoulders, and a bright but gentle smile on his face.

"Ma, get up," he encouraged softly. "Come on, hurry."

“What’s the matter?” Kitty instantly asked, jerking awake as Brogan shook her from her slumber. “What’s wrong?”

"Nothing wrong," he assured her, his smile broadening. "Hurry, or th'twins'll beat you to it. Come out t'the great hall." He kissed her cheek, clearly excited.

Kitty was so confused as Brogan seemed so excited about something that had happened. She was out of bed a few moments later, wrapped in her thick dressing gown. If he was insisting that she get up and get to the great hall, she would.

As Kitty emerged, there was a strange new life about the hall. It seemed like everyone was awake, and there was a small meal being cooked in the kitchens. Brogan had assembled his siblings, not telling any of them what was coming.

Once Kitty was front and center with her family, Brogan disappeared outside for a moment. And then, only minutes later, Brogan returned, pushing the doors open to reveal a single person on the other side- a tall man with olive skin and jet-black, long hair tied back neatly, a handsome short beard, and muddy traveling clothes. His dark eyes took in the keep that he'd only seen once several years prior, but his world came to a halt as his eyes laid upon the woman he'd loved and thought he'd lost forever.

"Kitty." His Italian accent sounded so comforting and familiar. The Ghis children all looked on in shock, while Brogan stepped aside so that there was nothing between his mother and her handsome Italian love. Vincenzo Ambrose had finally arrived, and there was no one or thing to fear or to stop him from loving Kitty in that moment, for the first time in their lives.

Kitty couldn’t speak as Vincenzo stood there in front of her, nothing standing between them now. She was a widow and Tamblin wanted her to be happy. She knew that much to be the truth.

“Papa!!” Kayla cried out, rushing to him to be lifted into his arms, followed quickly by Ashien.

Vincenzo's focus was torn away as the twins came running, and he leaned down to scoop them both up, quietly choking up as he held them. "Hello, cara mia, passerotto," he whispered, tears coming to his eyes as he knelt and set them on their feet. He took a look at each of them before simply hugging them closer.

Brogan came to Kitty's side, Boar standing back with a shocked but happy smile to give his younger siblings their chance. Brogan laid a gentle hand on Kitty's shoulder as Vincenzo looked up once more, now welcoming Boar forward and hugging the young man tightly like they'd been family all along. "Hello, Lynn, sweet boy," Vincenzo murmured, having always treated Boar like the good-hearted lad he was and not just an angry, petulant child.

Kitty watched as even Selena greeted Vincenzo warmly, hugging him tightly and giving him a small smile as he noticed that she was pregnant. She had finally confessed to the entire family, still not revealing who her mate was, but everyone seemed to be happy for her and happy that another Ghis was on the way.

Once Vincenzo had greeted the four, he looked to Kitty once more and Brogan stepped aside. Vincenzo took a few tentative steps forward, unsure what to expect from her. "Cara mia," he murmured, coming to a halt before her. He was overwhelmed just by seeing her again, but he had feared for years that their love had passed them by.

“I didn’t think you would come.” Kitty said softly. “I thought that after all this time you might have moved on to someone else.”

"I never could, amore," Vincenzo told her softly. "... I'm still yours, if you'll have me." He knew it was difficult to ask as she was so recently widowed, and he didn't expect much, but he had always held out hope for them. "... I still have things to organize and set up in Venice... I'll have to go back often, but... I just want to be a part of your children's lives again, and they've asked me as much in their letters... And... Well, I want to be by your side again."

"Of course, you lovely man." Kitty said, tears in her eyes as she wrapped him up in a tight hug, her face burying against his throat as she took in the very scent of him that she had missed all of those years. "I can't say how much I missed you, Vincenzo."

Vincenzo scooped Kitty off her feet to hold her tightly, kissing her forehead and letting his head rest against hers. "I love you, Kitty," he whispered. "That never changed..."

"We have a lot to talk about, love." Kitty said softly, knowing that Vincenzo was there to stay if it was possible. "But for now, let's get you settled."

As he placed her back on her feet, she gave him a warm smile. "Welcome, officially, to Inverness."

"I already noticed the difference from the first time I was here," he assured her, then paused at the memory. "... Is Valentina here...?"

"She's still with Ashelin an' Warwick. We're lettin' her choose where she wants t'be," Brogan spoke up. "She wants t'stay with them a' least fer now. But we'll talk about tha' tomorrow."

Vincenzo nodded, knowing it was late. That was when the young cook Chessie emerged, her staff serving the small lat evening meal Brogan had asked for, knowing Vincenzo was coming but keeping it secret.

"You little liar. You said that things had gone wrong at dinner which is why it was so light." Kitty murmured as she kissed Brogan's cheek and hugged her son tightly. "Thank you, love. You don't know what this means to me."

"I had to make it a proper surprise," Brogan chuckled, hugging his tiny mother close. "Things won' be smooth all-'round, but... We're finally in a position t'make it work."

Kitty kissed his cheek again before she went to join the rest at dinner. Kayla and Ashien had taken the seats nearest to Vincenzo, talking up a storm with him. She was happy to let them, taking a seat next to Boar.

"The only thing missing is your brother." Kitty said, looking up at Boar as he seemed at peace in the moment.

"I know, Ma," Boar murmured. "But a' least we know 'e's enjoyin' 'imself." They had, in those previous two months, finally gotten new letters from Durban along with a small journal and a large purse of French coins they could trade for Scottish silver. He had apologized for seemingly disappearing, but explained that he'd left Normandy for Paris when a wanderlust struck him. He told them of France and how it wasn't too different from what he'd seen of England in many ways, but there was a vibrant art and culture blossoming there that he detailed as best he could for Ashien despite not knowing much about the subjects.

The journal contained a sort of diary of interesting events Durban had been witness to, from a small account of his time in Normandy learning to make wine, to herding his own sheep to a French market when he decided to move on and couldn't take them with him. The money he'd gotten had fueled his travel, and he'd sent half of it home along with a set of professional paintbrushes for Ashien from a Parisian artist. The journal spoke of Paris and the food and wine, and how Durban had very quickly picked up conversational French thanks to new friends there. There were sketches of architecture old and new, even Roman works as well, and the French palace of House Capet. But Durban had decided to move on, to wander into the Iberian peninsula and eventually the Holy Roman Empire, and he'd told them to send any letters to the capital of Barcelona, a city by the same name. He told them now that he knew Vincenzo could go to Scotland freely, he was setting his sights far eastward, intent on seeing even China. He never made too much mention of Tamblin's death beyond sending back a knife Tamblin had given him as a boy, and asking for it to be placed on Tamblin's grave. He would deal with the knowledge and the loss quietly, as ever.

As soon as Kitty had heard where Durban was, she had sent him a care package from home. A Scottish wool scarf to keep warm when he needed it, new journals, and some food to remind him of home. She had also written him a letter to tell him how proud she was of him and how much she wished he would come home for a short visit when he had a chance. She also told him briefly about his father in the end and how their little Brogan had finally come into his own.

She had even secretly started putting things together for Selena. Brogan had given her some funds to make sure that Selena wasn't going to be on her own completely when her baby came. She had filled the crate with blankets, toys, supplies, books, anything that Selena might be able to use but might not be able to get easily. She had been terrified for her girl, but Selena looked calm and at peace with everything that had happened.

Kitty kept looking across the table to Vincenzo, giving him a smile each time he looked her way. She was happy to have him back, but they had a lot that they needed to talk about.

Back