Absolution (closed)

Vincenzo stayed out with the family for a while after dinner, taking his time to hold the twins and see how they'd all changed. But when Brogan finally herded the twins to bed and he and the elder siblings turned in as well, Vincenzo had eyes only for Kitty, at her beckon call. They reached her private parlor after he went to a guest room where his things had been placed and changed into something more comfortable. Once they were settled near the hearth and Vincenzo had curled up with Kitty on his lap in her large armchair, Vincenzo seemed to relax as if a decade of loneliness had just melted away.

Kitty relaxed against Vincenzo, completely at ease for the first time since she had last been to Italy. he calmed her in a way that no one else did. They didn't even have to say anything in that moment, simply enjoying everything for what it was worth.

"He told me that he wanted me to go back to Venice." Kitty said softly. "I think he knew that you would come here or I would go to you. He wasn't angry, but he was resigned. I feel terrible for that."

"I knew when I came here for Valentina that he had let you go, though you always held his heart... I think he understood that I didn't take you from him... That was why he let me come and go without a fight, and he let Valentina go peacefully too, and hasn't bothered her since... I feel terrible for the man, but I can't help wanting to thank him for sending you to me... I don't know, it's a strange mix of emotions..."

"Ashelin told me that you told Warwick and her to not mention that Valentina had issues with her hearing to me." Kitty said, looking up at Vincenzo. "I assume that they told you how it happened."

She still relived that terrible night from time to time. When she was ill, sometimes the dreams would turn violent and she would be haunted by Tamblin beating her within an inch of her life.

"That was the day that everything changed. He never let himself get too close again." Kitty said, both guilty and miserable.

"They spared me the details..." Vincenzo murmured, kissing her forehead and hugging her a little closer. "... I'm so sorry, Kitty... I wish I could've helped... I wish anyone could've helped..." He knew that Brian had struggled for years to safely get the family away."

"They did help, but not until the end. When Selena challenged Tamblin, we all knew that the time that we would be together was drawing short. She has a little life that she seems to enjoy. Becoming a mother was certainly a shock, but she doesn't seem to mind it one bit. Durban is off exploring the world as he wanted to do for so long. Everything changed, but not for the worst."

"I suppose the good wouldn't be as good without the bad... If only the bad didn't have to be so terrible." He brushed her long hair back soothingly. "But... The worst seems to be over."

"It's only been two months and I still feel all of that guilt and hurt. I've had far many better days than I use too, but I keep thinking about Tamblin and how I wish things had turned out for the better." Kitty said softly as Vincenzo brushed her hair back in that same, soothing motion. "And then I worried about you. If you would want to come here. If you still wanted me. I was almost afraid to send off that letter to you because I didn't know how you might respond."

"I worried much the same... If you'd still want me after all you'd been through. But I understand your feelings since Tamblin's been gone... You never lose the hurt you feel over a loved one's life cut short, especially one as painful as Tamblin's, regardless of who made it that way. In the end, though... He finally has some peace and he knows his son will look after you all and your home."

"And now we're all just waiting for Ashelin." Kitty said softly, not even able to really talk about her best friend and her terminal illness. "I know it will be soon and I don't know how I'll be back to cope with that so soon after Tamblin."

"I'm sorry I couldn't do more for her," Vincenzo murmured, knowing Kitty would be aware that Warwick had taken Ashelin to see him a couple times. "Medicine just hasn't advanced far enough... But I've done my best to provide what Warwick needs to make her comfortable. Even if she's weak, she hasn't experienced much pain through all of this, if that's any help to know..."

"It's just us that has to deal with the pain." Kitty said as she rested her head against his shoulder. "And I know her death will come with a lot of it, both for this family and for her family."

"Valentina knows about me now, but she still chooses to stay with them. I don't blame her. That's a lot of knowledge for a little girl to have to understand." Kitty said softly.

"Valentina will come around with time. She has a big heart and I know she cares about you. Even before she knew who you really were, she would ask me about you, if I knew you and if I could help you be happy and healthy... They were tough questions to answer, but she knows the short version now. She wants to know you, she just doesn't know how to start."

"Was she a good girl growing up?" Kitty asked, looking at Vincenzo. "You know you'll have to tell me everything."

"A wonderful, stubborn little angel. As much heart as attitude, and a love for my profession. She's set on being just like her Papa." He smiled gently at that. "While I know she didn't always like the moving back and forth, she made an adventure of it, and she was always ecstatic to see me or Warwick and Ashelin again. My mother and brother can never get enough of her either."

"I wish I could have been there." Kitty said softly as Vincenzo grinned while remembering the spirited little girl that they had brought into this world. "She's so sweet to Boar. She's the only thing that can calm him from time to time. Same with the rest, I suppose."

Kitty glanced up at Vincenzo and gently touched his cheek. "You haven't kissed me yet. I'm beginning to think that you don't like me as much any longer." She was teasing, but part of her wasn't.

"I didn't want to rush you," Vincenzo assured her softly, his smile so handsome and familiar. He didn't hesitate any longer to lean in and kiss her like he had in Skye and Greece, so freely as if all were right in their world for moment. And finally, there was no one waiting to punish either of them for being happy.

Kitty grinned as he kissed her, her heart racing as it always did when he was near. She had missed moment like this for a very long time, but now that it was happening, she was absolutely beside herself with joy.

"The children have already given me their blessings with this, but I know we need to be cautious. There are those that think moving on quickly isn't the way to go." Kitty said softly as the kiss broke and she pressed her forehead against his own. "And I know we still have a long while to wait before you have everything settled in Venice."

"I'm all yours, cara mia, no matter what anyone thinks," Vincenzo promised her softly. "And yes, there's plenty to be done back in Italy, but we'll figure it out."

"I waited this long for you. I'll wait another ten years if that's what it takes." Kitty said softly. "I'll wait forever for you, love."

Vincenzo could only hold her closer, finding a feeling of peace despite long loneliness. Things weren't all fixed and fine, but they were getting better. For once, all the times he'd told Kitty it would all come right were starting to ring true.

The next morning, Selena found herself walking the hillside outside of the keep with Vincenzo. She had invited him along, wanting to talk to him about a little bit of everything. Her pregnancy, mostly, but also the state of the family and her Ma.

"I saw the state of your horse this morning. You must have ridden hard the moment that you reached the shores." Selena said with a smile towards the Italian. "Ma had no idea you were coming. You could have been a bit slower."

"I could give you all kinds of practical excuses for why I hurried, but you know the real reason why. I would've been here a week earlier if I hadn't had to set up a few stand-ins and get my apprentice to someone who could continue teaching him til I come up with something more permanent or finish his training. All I've wanted for years was to be with this family again. My own mother told me she would've encouraged me to move on, if she didn't love Kitty so much as well. Even my stoic older brother said he would never accept a substitute. And so... I've waited. Valentina made the wait a little easier in many ways, but also much harder. Every time I look at her, I think of Kitty."

"It's hard not to think of Ma. She looks just like her." Selena admitted. "Marianne thought that I was Ma the first moment I entered the castle at Edinburgh. Da was cruel to her and there are some that might not know who she is now, but there are plenty who remember when she was young and beautiful. I think that's a good enough legacy to leave behind."

"She's only in her thirties, my love, and she has always been beautiful. I think once everything settles and she can be content, you'll see her absolutely bloom into the vibrant, beautiful, and confident woman she should've been all along." Vincenzo smiled to himself. "And, who knows. Maybe I'll get some of my charms back with her."

Back