Anecdata, or, a tale of two stories

There's no reason to expect "Reviled" to have that kind of distribution. AH posters assume that one-bombs are common, but I don't see that in the Top Lists data. My guess is that the OP is expecting that kind of distribution and calculated votes accordingly.

If I look at the single votes that stories with a rating between 3.5 and 4.0 on Day 31 for all categories, here's the distribution I see:
5 - 45%
4 - 25%
3 - 15%
2 - 6%
1 - 8%
3.92 average vote

I would expect "Reviled" to have a vote distribution similar to that.
Yeah, that would be my normal expectation as well - a classic skewed curve, ascending if the story was good, descending if the story was bad. The inverted curve generally appears in a statistical distribution when there is some other factor at play. I theorize that other factor is "engagement", not quality. They engaged with the story, but because the subset of readers "likes to dislike", you get the inverted curve.

In traditional publishing you see if appear as well, in authors that readers love to hate. Your marketing people will tell you that's as good as being loved - because at the end of the day it sells books and it's sales (or in our case views) that they're measuring, not critical acclaim or media adoration.

The voting distribution in the OP looks off to me. Too many 1's and not enough 3's.
I'm pretty darn ocd

For Adored there was a run of five votes at the start i missed, which i guessed was a "1star" and 4 "5star"s. I think subsequent outcomes as well as first day voting behavior) support that guess, but it is a guess. All the other 90 were fairly definitive.

For "Reviled" I missed more votes, 21, mostly in a long run at the beginnong where it got voted down to 2.25. I inferred many 1 stars in that run, but maybe there were more 2s.

You are correct that across all my stories, for votes I've managed to catch definitively, i had 4% "3star" and 3% "2star". (Of course, these particular tales are also outliers for me, broadly speaking...)

For "reviled" of the 92 votes i caught definitively (3.9 equivalent)
60% 5star
14% 4star
2% 3star
5% 2star
18% 1star

It was a genuine love-or-hater i think

Last edited:
There's no reason to expect "Reviled" to have that kind of distribution. AH posters assume that one-bombs are common, but I don't see that in the Top Lists data. My guess is that the OP is expecting that kind of distribution and calculated votes accordingly.

If I look at the single votes that stories with a rating between 3.5 and 4.0 on Day 31 for all categories, here's the distribution I see:
5 - 45%
4 - 25%
3 - 15%
2 - 6%
1 - 8%
3.92 average vote

I would expect "Reviled" to have a vote distribution similar to that.

So she's got a couple of outliers. Don't overthink it.

Remember, she wrote a cuck story and tagged it as such. It's fairly obvious what happened. The BtBs found her despite the different category and gave it a vote distribution much more in line with an LW pattern.

Back