Anyone from the UK?

Age is a funny thing. I’m old enough to remember when the only computer I had access to was the one on my desk at work. To get it going, I put a 5.25” floppy disk in the disk drive and then went and made myself a cup of coffee while it booted up Windows. There was no hard disk, no network and my copy of Excel (installed from another floppy disk) had the grand total of 32 rows and 16 columns.
In my home office (read garden shed) I’m using one PC to access work via the VPN, another for browsing the web and personal stuff, two are in harness in my keyboard rig, an old work laptop is in a bag at my feet, and I suppose you have to count my mobile phone in their number as well. There are probably another four in the house proper courtesy of various family members.

Age is a funny thing. I’m old enough to remember when the only computer I had access to was the one on my desk at work. To get it going, I put a 5.25” floppy disk in the disk drive and then went and made myself a cup of coffee while it booted up Windows. There was no hard disk, no network and my copy of Excel (installed from another floppy disk) had the grand total of 32 rows and 16 columns.
In my home office (read garden shed) I’m using one PC to access work via the VPN, another for browsing the web and personal stuff, two are in harness in my keyboard rig, an old work laptop is in a bag at my feet, and I suppose you have to count my mobile phone in their number as well. There are probably another four in the house proper courtesy of various family members.
*sighs* You're nailing it. Does anyone remember when there were no "landline phones" because every phone there was was landline?

Last edited:
*sighs* You're nalling it. Does anyone remember when there were no "landline phones" because every phone there was was landline?
My parents had a party line when I was growing up. For the benefit of you young people, that was when you shared a landline with a neighbour. You couldn’t use it if they were using it and vice versa

Brings back memories.... I had a Sinclair ZX Spectrum; had to load the programmes from a cassette tape. Then a Commodore PET and eventually my first tower PC; complete with 100Mb hard drive! Just about big enough to store half a dozen pics these days.
Remember the old Star Trek series when they had the communicators? and everyone thought... wow! wouldn't that be cool. Now we've all got 'em

Brings back memories.... I had a Sinclair ZX Spectrum; had to load the programmes from a cassette tape. Then a Commodore PET and eventually my first tower PC; complete with 100Mb hard drive! Just about big enough to store half a dozen pics these days.
Remember the old Star Trek series when they had the communicators? and everyone thought... wow! wouldn't that be cool. Now we've all got 'em
The bloomin’ Spectrum! Going round my mate’s to play games, waiting 15 minutes for the games to load from the tape, then having to wait another 15 minutes because something had glitched …

Does anybody remember "Space: 1999" (the year alone!)? When Martin Landau got info from an officer, it came on a paper slip like from a cash till.

Ok people, enough excitement.

Bingo starts in 15 mins, and Trisha will be round with your meds and jelly snack shortly..
Please matron....can we have that TV channel on again instead of Bingo? .. you know... the one with all the young folk cavorting in the bedroom...... I think it's called "pron" or something like that.... can't quite remember these days......

Back