Anyone from the UK?

He was, like, the first super sexy film star dude. Anyway, he played this guy who was an evil sheikh and such, but was also very sexy about it.

He was, like, the first super sexy film star dude. Anyway, he played this guy who was an evil sheikh and such, but was also very sexy about it.
Got to love a handsome villain.
Not in real life obviously - those guys are pricks
There's just something about the charismatic bad guy..

Got to love a handsome villain.
Not in real life obviously - those guys are pricks
There's just something about the charismatic bad guy..
Right? And he really nailed down The Stare. I guess when you're in a silent film, you have to rely on The Stare a lot. However, I guess my initial point was that this bro was super romanticized because of his foreign role. Exoticism and what not. It's not better in the books it was based off, either. But Valentino was a really interesting character. And he unfortunately lived very briefly.

Right? And he really nailed down The Stare. I guess when you're in a silent film, you have to rely on The Stare a lot. However, I guess my initial point was that this bro was super romanticized because of his foreign role. Exoticism and what not. It's not better in the books it was based off, either. But Valentino was a really interesting character. And he unfortunately lived very briefly.
I'm glad that was your point and that you weren't announcing yourself as a villain.

Sounds like an interesting guy though. I don't know anything really about the silent movie era

I'm glad that was your point and that you weren't announcing yourself as a villain.

Sounds like an interesting guy though. I don't know anything really about the silent movie era
It's one of my favorites! Theda Bara is a goddess, for instance. Valentino was bisexual at the very least, a dangerous and sexy libertine. I wish more silent films were available. A lot of them were destroyed in fires or deliberately.

But no, I'm not really a villain. Just more of a fact spouting person who came in to infodump, apparently. How are you doing?

It's one of my favorites! Theda Bara is a goddess, for instance. Valentino was bisexual at the very least, a dangerous and sexy libertine. I wish more silent films were available. A lot of them were destroyed in fires or deliberately.

But no, I'm not really a villain. Just more of a fact spouting person who came in to infodump, apparently. How are you doing?
About to head to a Wikipedia deep dive apparently...

Infodumping is fine. I like it when people get nerdy.

There was a brilliant series (in the UK anyway) on the silent film era. One thing i remember, the life of the stunt men was very short!

Oh, the scandals too!

There was a brilliant series (in the UK anyway) on the silent film era. One thing i remember, the life of the stunt men was very short!

Oh, the scandals too!
The scandals are terrific (makes today’s film stars seem tame!). I love this little tidbit (from IMDb) about one of my favourite actresses:

“Allegedly, during the opening night party for their Broadway run of 'The Cocoanuts', Groucho informed Chico that Tallulah Bankhead had just walked into the room and wanted to meet him. Chico strode up to Bankhead and introduced himself with, "Miss Bankhead, I would like to fuck you". Bankhead laughed and replied "So you shall darling, so you shall". The story has since become a part of show business lore.“

The scandals are terrific (makes today’s film stars seem tame!). I love this little tidbit (from IMDb) about one of my favourite actresses:

“Allegedly, during the opening night party for their Broadway run of 'The Cocoanuts', Groucho informed Chico that Tallulah Bankhead had just walked into the room and wanted to meet him. Chico strode up to Bankhead and introduced himself with, "Miss Bankhead, I would like to fuck you". Bankhead laughed and replied "So you shall darling, so you shall". The story has since become a part of show business lore.“
They don't make chat up lines like that any more!

Back