Authors writing one story over and over

As I reflect on this question I am immediately reminded of Harry Turtledove who is (was?) an acclaimed writer of alternative history. I remember binging through several of his series in a relatively short period and by the end I found several of his character types and tropes to be exceedingly monotonous. I mean I get it Harry, the older wise character is you and he is going to get to boink the late 30s single mother.

So even in the realm of "legitimate" fiction there are authors we would consider accomplished and talented writers who still have their go to characters, themes, and tropes regardless of whatever else is going on in the story. If it works for them I am going to give myself a pass if there is some rhyming to my story beats.

As I reflect on this question I am immediately reminded of Harry Turtledove who is (was?) an acclaimed writer of alternative history. I remember binging through several of his series in a relatively short period and by the end I found several of his character types and tropes to be exceedingly monotonous. I mean I get it Harry, the older wise character is you and he is going to get to boink the late 30s single mother.

So even in the realm of "legitimate" fiction there are authors we would consider accomplished and talented writers who still have their go to characters, themes, and tropes regardless of whatever else is going on in the story. If it works for them I am going to give myself a pass if there is some rhyming to my story beats.
Great point. If you read multiple series by any author in a short period of time you invariably pick up similarities.

I certainly agree with the OP.
Coincidentally, yesterday I stumbled on a newer story by one of the authors he mentions.
Basically the same thing....but this was inverse, older guy-younger woman and had a military tie in.
I swear this is true...I thought to myself "This guy can write, I just wish he would do something different".

Likewise, A few weeks ago, I left a very politely worded comment to a story that was a virtual replay of all 12 of his other stories....older UK couple on holiday in the sunny places Brits holiday at and wife gets permission to sleep with guy to satisfy husbands long dormant kink. Other man dominates her, won't use condom, wife is against abortion for religious reasons (but she's not so religious to avoid adultery in the first place ;) )... and the expected ensues. Another reader said the same thing, though less politely, and the author hasn't been seen since.

Again, I appreciate the authors.
I still haven't finished my first work, so they've done more than I have.
The good ones know character development and pacing better than I do combined with the fact I have little imagination (the nice part of being a journalist, you don't need one)...so I'm really not throwing rocks at folks.

Unlike a Hollywood film, TV series or Broadway play where costs make sequels, prequels, and same universe stories attractive, writing here is free.
So hopefully, writers will stretch their talents and try the occasional new story.

And to wrap up...The other day, there was a first story over in the LWs section.
Not bad at all. I wrote a comment of encouragement and offered some minor suggestions. I hope the author reads it.
As (free) readers, the least we can do is give encouragement and feedback, especially to the brave first time writers who share their work here.

Back