Best Sitcom Episodes

So am I really the only one who thinks that King Of Queens is the best Sitcom ever. (Closely followed by Married with children' ???
This can't be. Am I so wrong? Is the world against me? Do I have a bad taste? Is my sense of humuor extinct? Will these questions ever stop?
Snoopy

SnoopDog said:
So am I really the only one who thinks that King Of Queens is the best Sitcom ever. (Closely followed by Married with children' ???
This can't be. Am I so wrong? Is the world against me? Do I have a bad taste? Is my sense of humuor extinct? Will these questions ever stop?
Snoopy

That show is funny sometimes ;)
I also happen to like the over the top humor of will and grace as well (but shh they might take my les card for that.)

Not THE best sitcom ever but one of the best IMO. Doug Heffernan is a personal hero of mine and he always cracks me up. Just the way he describes eating a pudding cup is hilarious.

I still think MASH the series was better than the movie though I liked them both. And the oak desk episode I described earlier does make me fall down laughing every time i see it. Just the look on Blake's dismayed and bewildered face as he watches his beloved desk be carried away forever...priceless!

The later episodes became more melancholy, had more bitter sweet moments, but it was still a touching and very insightful series.

PierceStreet said:
Almost forgot one of my favorites. Dream On. It was a show on HBO for a number of years about a divorced book editor in NYC and his romantic misadventures.

It had lots of now famous actresses playing his girlfriends (often nude :) ) including Jennifer Tilly, Salma Hynek, Dedee Pfeiffer, Kathryn Harrold, Courteney Cox, Iman, Elisabeth Shue, Gates McFadden,Elizabeth Peña,Daisy Fuentes,Mary Lou Retton,Jami Gertz, and Catherine Bell.

The poor guy was still in love with his ex-wife, played by the stunning Wendy Malick (playing serious, not goofy like in Just Shoot Me).

The ex-wife had re-married a never seen, saint. He was a top Doctor often called in by the Presdent and Pope, he took a bullet for the Pope, was a Calvin Klein underware model and otherwise thwarted any hopes Martin had of reuniting with his ex-wife.

One gimmic of the show was Martin's constant flashbacks to images he'd seen on TV as a child in the late 50's, early 60's. Gimmicy, but it actually worked to entertain.

I remember that show now. I had completely forgotten about it. You are right, it was a clever, funny show and the gimmicks worked. I think it was the first show that was a real hit on HBO and certainly the first to deal so explicity with sex. I haven't heard a thing about it in years, I wonder if it will get "seasoned" on dvd.

I remember Dream on as well and I liked it at first but it got old real fast. The lead character played by Brian Benben I believe, was just such a loser I couldn't cope with watching his endless blunders.

I remember fox tried running the series in primetime but with the nudity and foul language edited out that was a staple of the series when it ran on HBO, I don't think it lasted 13 episodes on Fox.

Speaking of HBO, how could we forget The Larry Sanders Show! That show was absolutely brilliant! Definitely deserving to be added to the list of all time great shows.

Drew Carey.

Especially that episode when his girlfriend hid a giant rotating dildo in his suitcase as he was flying to another town for an important convention.

Or when he fell in love with a MUCH older woman...

Or when he made that safety instructions video...

:D

PierceStreet said:
I've been watching Dharma & Greg in reruns. It's first season was outstanding, but it too soon Jumped the Shark .

Sadly, D & G did jump the shark too soon.

My personal favorite episode was the end of the 2nd Bob Newhart Show, where he gets konked by a golf ball in his Vermont hotel and wakes up in the old bedroom set of his first show, with Suzanne Pleshette next to him.

I love Mimi on Drew Carey's show. I loved Bob Newhart's secretary and the weird cynical patient who didn't trust anyone. I loved Dharma's father and her in-laws. On Will & Grace I also prefer Karen the other gay guy. Hmmm, I seem to like the supporting cast better than the stars.

Perdita

perdita said:
I love Mimi on Drew Carey's show. I loved Bob Newhart's secretary and the weird cynical patient who didn't trust anyone. I loved Dharma's father and her in-laws. On Will & Grace I also prefer Karen the other gay guy. Hmmm, I seem to like the supporting cast better than the stars.

Perdita

I'll have to agree with you on all those. When you really look back at the great shows, it's the supporting characters that made them great. I've always thought The Simpsons was the best example of that. Almost any character on that show could easily carry their own.

perdita said:

Perdita

lol Karen is the best character unless you include the recently added minnie driver character. (although I just have a thing for minnie driver)

Dest., I like Driver and she was good, but no match for Karen really. I wish I could be like Karen, just can't.

P. :(

kellycummings said:
I'll have to agree with you on all those. When you really look back at the great shows, it's the supporting characters that made them great. I've always thought The Simpsons was the best example of that. Almost any character on that show could easily carry their own.

*sings*

The Nahasapeemapetilons..!

PierceStreet said:
"Hi, I'm Larry. This is my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl."

I've heard that was meant to be a one shot appearance. That line got a several minute long laugh. Performers are supposed to stop and freeze until the laugh abates. They stood staring at each other for minutes.
I heard that, too. And I think they weren't allowed to make personal appearances by themselves after the schtick got popular.

On a trivia note, William Sanderson (I think that's the name), Larry, was in Blade Runner.

PierceStreet said:
Congratulations Dee on 100 posts!
Thank you, thank you, I'd like to thank the Academy ... no, wait, wrong speech.

<rubbing my hands together gleefully> Now to find a suitable avatar.

I thought it was funny on the series finale of Coach when Hayden and Christine returned to their cabin in Minnesota after 2 years of living in Florida and discovered it was being occupied by none other than Larry, Darryl, and Darryl.

Am I the only one here who doesn't watch sitcoms? I mean I have no idea what all of you are talking about here. LOL

As Always
I Am the
Dirt Man

McKenna said:
Or how about Sex and the City?

I know I'm in the minority but I never did see what the appeal of Sex and the City was. I watched it several times and it always seemed like a group of rich, obnoxious, shallow sluts.
Of course I also hate Curb Your Enthusiasm because it's a bunch of rich, obnoxious, shallow assholes. That and Larry David just plain annoys me.

Dirt Man said:
Am I the only one here who doesn't watch sitcoms? I mean I have no idea what all of you are talking about here. LOL

As Always
I Am the
Dirt Man

A lot of people don't watch sitcoms. It's a form of entertainment that some people just don't care for. I've always been a big fan and am personally bummed by the wave of "reality" shows that have been on TV, pushing out the sitcoms.
Hell, my older brother doesn't even own a tv and whenever I mention a show he looks at me like I'm an idiot. He might be right. LOL

*chuckle* Don't feel bad DirtMan. For over four years now, I get two channels. One is public television, and one network station (That shows Monday Night Football, woohoo). I go to my parent's house to watch sunday football with my father, and that's about the only time I go out of my way to watch something on television other than public television. *shrug* I don't really miss it much, until people are talking about it. *grin*

Whisp :rose:

Without question, the greatest series finale of all time also happens to be one of the funniest sitcom episodes ever. The series finale of Newhart in which the entire town, except Bob and his wife Joanne, sells out to a Japanese conglomorate that wants to turn the town into a golf course. By the time that Bob wants to sell out it is too late. Then while standing in an open doorway, Bob is hit in the head with a golf ball.

Then he wakes up in the middle of the night next to his wife Emily from the original Bob Newhart Show.

"Oh Emily, I just had this incredible dream. I was an innkeeper in this crazy town in Vermont with all these weird people, and I was married to this beautiful blonde."

"Go back to sleep Bob." Pause "What about this blonde."

"Go to sleep Emily." Pause. "You know, you should really wear sweaters more often."

Edit: I posted this before noticing that dee1124 had already mentioned this episode. My bad.

Back