9-11. I'll see you with a tale of my own inhumanity placed in another
time in this circle of life. :rose:

sandspike said:
I started something really long for me today. First draft ended with
in the Big Easy. Sometimes things just work that way and you
find yourself where your little voice has been. I'll see you on
9-11. I'll see you with a tale of my own inhumanity placed in another
time in this circle of life. :rose:

I have one started too, and I already need help. Pat?? Ohhh Pat!! Where are you, dear?? My words are shapeless...

Tung? Would it be a problem to change the date to 9/9 or 9/12 or 13? I think 9-11 is a day unto itself. Just as I think the Day The Levee Broke will be it's own day.

bogusbrig said:
It's diificult to say anything of meaning in the wake of such tragedy other than the same old sentiments that always feel so false to me. How can one write about such misery if one hasn't experienced it without sounding mawkish? I'd prefer to remain silent on the personal human tragedies that are unfolding, a blank page and a few silent thoughts, to me, say much more.

However, I hope the families of the victims get to look GWB in the eye and ask him why he slashed flood defence spending to pay for his unnecessary Iraqi war.

I don’t purport to know how they could possibly be feeling, how anyone can be feeling nor is my poem meant to reflect their pain. Each person there, every person in pain is unique and felt differently. When life blows up in ones face there are different coping mechanisms for each.

This poem reflects my pain when my own world blew apart and I had to start over again and was written in hopes that others might grasp or understand people do feel this way, it is hell on earth as the cliche goes and some never recover.

I can’t even sit and watch a whole news coverage on this tragedy

If my words, my poem was in any way mawkish, it was not meant to be, this is the pain I have felt through my own life blowing apart and 10 years later I am still picking up pieces and restarting over and over again.

There was no disrespect meant and in NO way was I intent on making light of any tragedy.

echoes_s said:
There was no disrespect meant and in NO way was I intent on making light of any tragedy.

I never suggested you were. I was just stating my opinion as a matter of cold fact and I no way intended a slight on anyone with a different opinion to me.

bogusbrig said:
I never suggested you were. I was just stating my opinion as a matter of cold fact and I no way intended a slight on anyone with a different opinion to me.

I am not slighted at all.

I was going to finish it saying *signed and said softly*

I just wished for there to be no mistake that I do not make light of this nor am I disrespectful of anyone's pain be it a gentle ache to all consuming.

I guess I feel bad it is not a new poem in reference to this latest tragedy, but I could not put more than what I have put into this poem nor do I wish to feel anything to this extent again :rose:

in peace

BooMerengue said:
I have one started too, and I already need help. Pat?? Ohhh Pat!! Where are you, dear?? My words are shapeless...

Tung? Would it be a problem to change the date to 9/9 or 9/12 or 13? I think 9-11 is a day unto itself. Just as I think the Day The Levee Broke will be it's own day.

Boo,
your sensitivity and common sense never cease to amaze me. I agree, 9/11 is it's own touchstone for so many. What say you others?.... how about a date.....I'm flexible.
:rose:

I sit in this place
occupy this space
the air I breathe
the sky I see
the same for them and me

why is it then
I can't comprehend
this moment in time
the state of mind
in this unreality

overcome your fear
so distant yet near
to make a choice
and give a voice
to this inhumanity

:heart:

Are you kidding?

I don't know what planet you live on Charlie, but your facts are wrong, and if you think that more than 1 million displaced people is insignificant (compared to what I have no idea), than you need to come off of the crack for a day or two.

qp

CharleyH said:
Well the board is very US oriented, and I have seen much worse in the world than a Cat 2 hurricane over the past few days. Why no? The rest of the world does not matter?

Not a poem, maybe not even a real letter, and definately skewed politically, but interesting.

Friday, September 2nd, 2005

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore
MMFlint@aol.com

www.MichaelMoore.com

P.S. That annoying mother, Cindy Sheehan, is no longer at your ranch. She and dozens of other relatives of the Iraqi War dead are now driving across the country, stopping in many cities along the way. Maybe you can catch up with them before they get to DC on September 21st.

CharleyH said:
If I prefer to write of other tragedies that have befallen more than Americans in the past weeks, can I?

???

where did that come from? you are always allowed to write whatever you want to write about, this is a huge forum. you have started many threads that are of little interest to most. if this is not of interest to you, then move to another of the zillion threads like I did when you wrote of the heartache and break up thread ... which was centered around you and your interests as many of the threads you post are. which is not a problem, why is this?

you don't see others writing things like "um is it okay if I talk things that have befallen more than just you in the past few weeks" What purpose would that serve-- of course it is your option to start whatever thread you want as it is with anyone.

damn, what happened to my ability to let things like this just go?

Last edited:
Just a quick plug of very personal interest, with the the thought at least one other person might be interested as well

Autism Society of America National and Texas Chapters:

Operations in New Orleans and Houston are in place to serve the needs of anyone requiring assistance, with specially-trained personnel to assist those on the autism spectrum. To donate, please go to the ASA Web site at http://www.autism-society.org/

annaswirls said:
Not a poem, maybe not even a real letter, and definately skewed politically, but interesting.

Friday, September 2nd, 2005

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore
MMFlint@aol.com

www.MichaelMoore.com

P.S. That annoying mother, Cindy Sheehan, is no longer at your ranch. She and dozens of other relatives of the Iraqi War dead are now driving across the country, stopping in many cities along the way. Maybe you can catch up with them before they get to DC on September 21st.

in my opinion, anyone who so politicizes a national tragedy of this enormity should be ashamed of themselves.

exploiting the plight and grief of countrymen to fatten an agenda seems so grievous a sin to me, and so lacking in morality, i prefer to pretend i never read this letter.

i also feel the need to grieve in silence, so for me personally, poetry seems inappropriate - that of course is a choice that i make for myself alone, and anyone who feels the need to grieve with their writing should have the blessing of anyone with a heart.

:heart: :rose:

Hi Pat... I am assuming you are a Libertarian?

Because the current REPUBLICAN administration has NEVER missed an opportunity to politicize 9-11. The only reason they haven't politicized this, (IMHO) is because they are still trying to figure out the spin on this huge fuckup...

This lack of morality you speak of is something we Americans seem to be very adept at! It seems to be prevalent in our churches, our politics, and especially our international businesses. Are we proud yet?

Everyone has a method of grieving. For some it is letting off the steam in the form of a public letter or a poem. Perhaps with enough of a PUBLIC outcry, our politicians will recognize that each American is just as important as another, and that every person who breathes has value and is a part of the greater fabric called humanity.

Namasté

QP

PatCarrington said:
in my opinion, anyone who so politicizes a national tragedy of this enormity should be ashamed of themselves.

exploiting the plight and grief of countrymen to fatten an agenda seems so grievous a sin to me, and so lacking in morality, i prefer to pretend i never read this letter.

:heart: :rose:

Tung hasn't given us a date yet, Liar. This is a Challenge, and because it is I am going to delete my post. I don't think hi jacking is in order here, do you, Pat? We should continue this convo somewhere else if at all.

Sorry, Tung! :kiss:

Blue Dolphin said:
After posting mine, I was beginning to wonder that myself

If y'all will read the 1st few posts you will see that Tung has yet to reset the date to post the poems.

just so y'all know.... :cool:

BooMerengue said:
If y'all will read the 1st few posts you will see that Tung has yet to reset the date to post the poems.

just so y'all know.... :cool:

aww fuck it then
I will take mine down

Blue Dolphin said:
aww fuck it then
I will take mine down

Hi bluey. :kiss:

Don't take your poem down. The point of every challenge is to write poetry, no? And if you did you already met the challenge. ;)

Angeline said:
Hi bluey. :kiss:

Don't take your poem down. The point of every challenge is to write poetry, no? And if you did you already met the challenge. ;)
put it here then
just for you my dear friend
its been a while :)

Who made the wind scream?

It is quiet now
Or maybe I am dead
Like my city that surround

Drowning in filth,
and the chaos of flame.
Silence
Putrid stinking silence.

Whence came the boats?
That never were there?
Maybe they died as well
in that mournful banshee scream.

And the silence
Can you hear it?
Eating my city alive.
Day after day
Night after night.

No jazz band for the wake
Beneath the Delta Queen

It is quiet now
Or maybe,
I am dead.

But who cares?
Not you,
For if you do
Where are you?

Where WERE YOU?

I rarely do poems now, and it probably shows.
But it also shows my anger, and my passion I hope
Blue

BooMerengue said:
Tung hasn't given us a date yet, Liar. This is a Challenge, and because it is I am going to delete my post. I don't think hi jacking is in order here, do you, Pat? We should continue this convo somewhere else if at all.

It is me that should be sorry, I should not have posted the letter here. I got emotional over it for a few reasons and was not thinking. By the time I went to delete it, it had already been quoted, and now I am back home, sorry-- it was not the place.

BooMerengue said:

Oh. Ah. Didn't think of it as such a formal and organized Challenge thingy.

Back