Credit Where Credit's Due (Closed)

Gra'tia looked over at him and saw the way his face betrayed his true feelings. He too was frightened, and he was a seasoned pilot. That wasn't comforting, her heart fluttering in her chest from the realization that he too was concerned that they may not make it. Beneath her helmet, her lip trembled and she turned back to the front windows, swallowing hard.

"We are good. We are good." Speaking out loud wasn't to sooth Gra'tia, if she was worried. It was to assure myself. Going into storms and flying by just instruments was done many times before. Each time it was just as nerve wracking. "We are good." Teeth clenched tightly together to the point my lower jaw was aching. If I kept this up I would crush my own teeth! "Just hang in there. Hang in there. It's almost over with," reaching out with the right hand and flipping a switch and snapping my hand back and grasping the stick tightly. It shook violently in my hand. If I let go we might lose control of the ship. This baby wasn't on auto-pilot.

His words weren't comforting, as she knew he was simply saying things to comfort himself. The ship lurched forward at one point, prompting a frightened squeak from the armored warrior sitting in the seat beside him. "H-how much further do you think it is?!" she asked, her voice trembling slightly.

"Just a little further," hissing between the teeth. Truly I didn't know. It was a guess. A blind guess. This part of the planet prided itself with being isolated that they don't put out a homing beacon out of fear it would attract too many people. Arguing with them about this was pointless.

The alarm kept going off. This time it was warning me we are way too low. HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK with a piercing scream. Easing back on the stick we gained some altitude and the alarm stopped. That really did not help me. Now I was worried about our altitude. The console was going crazy. Damn weather conditions.

Again and again the Outlander shook and buffeted. I tried to compensate with careful adjustments with my feet on the peddles and tilting the stick with one hand and pressing buttons with the other, only to grip the stick again when the chop resumed.

'Hurry up, damn it!'

Thankfully....THANKFULLY...the gods or whatever else is running this Galaxy, decided to have mercy on us. The clouds gradually broke away. The rain trickled then stopped altogether. We burst into an opening. The sky was still blocked out by a heavy overcast but we could see directly ahead. Just off to the left was the harbor/dock we were aiming to get to.

"Whew! I wasn't worried, were you?" chuckling as the Outlander gradually drifted that direction. A flip of the switch and the landing legs deployed with a heavy groan.

She was as stiff as a board and she simply stared at him for a moment. Obviously they had both been practically pissing themselves, but she was content to pretend that they both handled it well.

“No…” was her somewhat shell-shocked reply. “Not at all.”

The woman didn’t try to stand up even after they landed, not fully convinced that her legs hadn’t turned to jelly. Instead, she stared out the window and tried to recenter herself, breathing deeply and comforting herself with the fact that she would never come back to this godforsaken planet.

The landing was smooth. When the Outlander touched the pad and the shaking finally ceased, I powered down. Outside the cockpit a group of service droids moved around already getting to work. My heart crawled into my throat. It was pounding so hard it felt like it was about to burst from my body. Glancing at the stalwart Gra'tia, I coughed to clear my throat, "I'm going to check the cargo. Then I will go talk to the service droids."

The legs, my legs, decided to protest. To stand required me to grip the console with both hands and do a pushup. Leaning forward slightly to retain balance. Gave the legs a moment to get the blood going. Then I waddled out of the cockpit, leaning to the side and grasping the hatch frame and then the support struts in the corridor. Hands shook. That skirmish we had leaving for here didn't shake me up as that storm. Wonder why that was. Pursing my lips a sharp sting hit me.

I brushed a hand over my lips and found trace amounts of blood. I bit my lips at some point. So much adrenalin was going that I didn't feel any of it until just now.

Walking brought back feelings in the legs. By the time I reached the hidden cargo compartment I could feel everything. Grasping the edges of the panel and lifting, I moved the panel to the side just enough to fit my head inside the compartment. Looked about. Everything was still secured. Nothing appeared to have broken loose or busted open exterior-wise.

Blowing out hard that was a huge relief. Fitted the panel back and stood up. Now it was time to go outside and speak to the droids. Get some service going. If I find one of the schmucks running the docks I'm going to put my fist through his damn face. A simple homing beacon will save a lot of lives and trouble getting to this place.

"Yes. You do that," was her stiff reply. God, she felt like she could yak up her breakfast right now, even with the relief of having landed safely. Part of her was grateful that he was leaving her alone- she needed to readjust and get herself back in shape before he noticed how rattled she was. After he left, she waited for a moment before trying to stand. Her legs wobbled and she sank back into her seat before reattempting it. She was able to stay on her feet that time, but made it a point to walk to her room and grab a ginger candy from her pack. It was popped into her mouth under her helmet and she sucked on it to soothe her unsteady stomach.

Gra'tia then walked to the doors where she knew he was headed. She too wanted to be on dry land... metaphorically. This planet was anything but dry.

The panel replaced I came from the cargo compartment dusting my hands off. A long sigh of relief escaping my lips. Both legs are working better. Still felt a little soft. Stepping into the center of the ship and seeing her quarter's hatch open, I figured that's where Gra'tia went, but didn't venture over that way. Instead I called out to her, "Good news is, our dramatic entrance didn't do anything to our cargo. Heh." Both hands placed on my hips in a bit of a stoic pose. Inside I felt rattled. Some second-thoughts lingered if it was worth laying low here after all that.

"I'm going outside to speak to the droids. See if they can give the ship a look over," I said to her before walking to and through the workshop and dropping the gangway behind the cockpit.

She looked up and briskly walked over to him. Well, as briskly as one could after having been scared shitless not ten minutes previous. "I will accompany you," she stated, her voice much more firm and in control at this point. At least that part she could play pretty well. It wouldn't do for him to think that she was weak. If she was weak, she could be taken advantage of. Even if she came out on top, the mere attempt at her life or her livelihood could leave her with some fresh scars.

The woman walked down the gangway once it was fully connected to the dock, taking a deep breath of fresh air. Thank god...

At first Gra'tia wasn't there. Then I glanced to the left and there she was. That stalwart Mandalorian helmet looking at me. In front of us the service droids milled about. Two dragging fuel lines that they attached the underside of the Outlander. Another was examining the landing struts. The foreman droid had a check list and rolled right up to us. Its beeps and boops were a langauge itself. She didn't appear to be rattled as much as I was, was, about our landing. That was a good. Need a partner that can hold their own.

"I'm the captain, and no, we don't need supplies. Just top off the tank. We are not staying here long," I said the foreman droid. "If you could, take a look at the belly sensors. They may have been damaged during our landing." They are not coming on board the ship. That's why I refused supplies. Droids are nosey. They would go around looking for stuff to steal for their boss. Their human boss who was some heated room sitting fat and pretty with some Twi'lek bimbo between his legs. Or worse, they would scan the interior and try looking for that hidden compartment. Even from the outside it was shielded from scanners. That didn't mean droids would pry things about to look into every nook and crany.

Nearby the ocean that served as the planet's surface smashed against the breakwaters, unleashing a spray of salt water. Nearby other, much larger ships, are in dock. Being serviced or loaded. "The Empire and Republic don't show their faces around here, usually," I said glancing at Gra'tia.

She scanned the horizon as he negotiated with the droids. Droids were fine, but she did prefer creatures of flesh and bone. In any case, that huge ocean gave her the willies. He had warned her not to go in the water, so she could only imagine what sort of horrors lurked underneath the surface of the agitated waves. Thankfully they wouldn't be here for long...

"Good," she nodded, looking over at one of the larger ships. "Should we find some place to eat and stay the night? Do you have a preference?"

"I don't have a preference. There are no fine establishments like the one we left. I would recommend finding a spot that's close to the ship. Don't know when we will need to leave in a hurry," turning back to the ship and producing a remote from my belt I clicked a button that would secure the ship, prevent any of those pesky droids from getting inside. "Word of advice, don't look anyone in the eye when on the street. Chances are fair that person will want to have a fight. As you can see, place is bleak and that tends to bring out the worse in people," I said standing beside her.

I was going to make it a habit of walking beside her. Not in front as I wanted to keep an eye on her. Ensure she wouldn't stab or shoot me in the back. Not behind her as she might have the same feelings about me. If we walked side by side that might deter any more pick pockets from trying to work on us again.

She actually chuckled, "I don't think you'll have to worry about me looking anyone in the eye. In any case, I will stay anywhere you recommend as long as there is a bed to rest in and something to fill my stomach." Gra'tia walked with him by his side, appreciating being shoulder to shoulder with her companion. A couple people mean-mugged her as they walked by, but she simply looked straight ahead.

Oh, boy. People really didn't like us. Out of the corner of my eye I could see them leering, whispering. No one was running or reaching for their hip. That was good at least.

This place did change since the last time I was here. Stacks of cargo waiting to go out lined the right side of the street, opposite of the breakwater. Waves thundered against the shore spraying us with salt water. Bah! People walked by us pushing carts. Muttering. Their bodies covered in wet cloaks. A freighter left off and thundered into the overcast. Almost immediately another one landed on the same now-vacant pad. Calamari people bickered back and forth, gesturing with their long fingers. In their native tongue I couldn't undertand them.

I could feel people staring at us. Don't look. Don't be reaching for your blaster pistol. Not yet. If someone wants something, let them make the first move. We walked parallel to the shore until reaching a t-junction. On the corners peddlers sold items for the people offloading. Things they would need like soap and cheap street food.

Standing at the junction several establishments are there. I looked at them rather perplexed. They were all new ones. The old places, like 'Mean Joe's, was gone and replaced by others. Wonder what happened. Hands at my side and looking up at the towering structures.

"Eh. Heh. Well, looks like there's several new places that popped up. All of them offer lodging and food. Which one do you think?" asked the Mandalorian. Maybe her instincts would help me out as I was feeling a bit lost.

The mean looks didn't bother her, though she did keep a vigilant eye on everyone in their close proximity. She didn't want to fight anyone but she absolutely would if need be. Her strides were confident and her posture was straight, giving off the image of someone you didn't want to fuck with.

When they reached the establishments, she scanned them curiously and wondered which would be the most comfortable. "Hmm..." she debated between them before pointing at one of them. "That one. They all seem the same to me, but that one seems to boast that it has music. Music is good for drowning out conversation. Speaking of which though..." She turned to him and stepped closer so that her helmet was near his ear, "while we're out and about, I think it would be best to refer to me as your bodyguard rather than your patron. My people have been known to take on bodyguard and bounty hunting, so it wouldn't seem too out of the ordinary."

"Very well," nodding to her. Now I felt special. So special that I needed a bodyguard. Part of me wanted to start some trouble just so many body guard here could have some action. The doorway was open. We stepped in and a wave of music drowned out my ears. Off in the far corner a live band was playing something. Tables dotted our path. Weaving between them with trays of drinks are a couple of servers. One male and one female.

People glanced up from their mugs to give us a glance before lowering them again. Sizing us up. Alcohol was flowing. People are talking. Anyone who was I couldn't hear them over the music but their occassional glances at us told me their words are about us pair.

Our entrance is immediately noticed and the female service, a tall and thin human woman with curled up blonde hair, approached. Nervously she looks at Gra'tia and then at me. "May I help you?"

"Yes. We are looking for lodging for the night?" I said.

The server glances at the Mandalorian. "Both both of you?" she asked

"Yes," holding a hand over to Gra'tia. "This is my body guard. My body guard goes wherever I go. That being said, we are looking for separate rooms, if possible," holding a pair of extended fingers. A wide smile on my face. Saying she was my body guard, now I felt special. A special smuggler. "And a meal," to drive home the fact we are not cheap people, and that money talks, I grasped the pouch on my left hip and gave it a shake. Letting the credit bars klink together.

Hearing them the server nods and says, "Come with me."

He was a good actor, she thought to herself as she followed the two of them to a table in the back. It was a nice, clean table and she could tell it was one of the ones they reserved for more special clientele.

She sat down and looked at the menu that was swiftly placed before them. “I’ll get the Spuulk,” she said, nodding at the server. One could note that she had chosen the cheapest meal item on the menu without looking at much else. He might have coin to spare, but she couldn’t waste a single credit. She was on a budget, and that budget did not allow for extravagances.

"That's sounds good. Make that two," giving back at the menu. She hustled off. Now that we had a moment, my eyes glanced at the people around us. People hunched over the tables. Hands gripping their drinks.

Eh. Eyes should not make contact. The music was the only real lively thing inside this place. So lively I couldn't speak to Gra'tia without yelling.

If this is the state of the entertainment, what's the rest of this place look like? No one will be looking for us here.

Glanced at her, the Mandalorian. A little closer. Take a gander st her armor without her noticing I was staring. She didn't get to finish that polishing. I think it looked better without. Things that are chipped, scratched, faded, gives it, like armor, character. Except for my baby, the Outlander, I couldn't stand a scratch on her lovely body.

Gra'tia didn't enjoy the fact that they couldn't talk without raising their voices to a shout, so she rustled around in the pack at her hip and took something out. It was offered to him with an outstretched hand. The thing in question was an earpiece with a thin little microphone. With her other hand, she gestured at it and then motioned for him to put it in his ear. Her helmet already contained the corresponding earpiece, so it would make things much easier for them, she figured.

Flicking my eyes at her palm and then at her, I was confused until she made the hand gesture. I see. Carefully pinching the device and narrowing my eyes to bring it into focus. Interesting. Slid the device into my left ear. "This is certainly going to be good. Never tried something like this before. Super sneaky, huh?" speaking rather to myself not knowing if the mic was on or off.

"There. How's that?" saying in a normal tone. In this setting my voice couldn't be heard three feet away.

"Perfect," Came her pleased reply through the headset. The sound quality was very crisp, and in all likelihood no one would be privy to their conversation unless they could read his lips. Even then, they were only getting one half of what was said.

"Don't let me forget to take that back when we go to rest, but otherwise I think this will be quite convenient." She cast her eyes across the room before looking back at him. "I understand the weather is simply awful, but why is it that everyone seems to be in a foul mood?"

"It's the place. You don't see the sky or the light for days on end. Battered against the rain. Being without those makes people foul. Also, this is a backwater world. These people are not the greatest. Smugglers, pirates, criminals, people in hiding. They're stucking hiding. When you are laying low and the only thing you can do to pass the time is drink and gamle, you lose all your credits to card sharks and swindlers."

This is me speaking from experience on both sides of the same coin. "These people are pretty much stuck here. To them it's purgatory. The only way out of here is to find a ride. People won't give you that ride. You have to pay for it. The pilots know they have the monopoly. They jack up the rates. It's a lose-lose situation. Consider yourself lucky that we are not in the same boat as them."

"Hmm. I suppose the only other way off this place is to find some unfortunate and rob them of their ship and life," she commented. "I hope they don't try their luck with us. I don't enjoy killing, but I refuse to die on this godforsaken planet."

The waiter came back with their dinners, setting them down in front of them before politely asking if they wanted any drinks. The Mandalorian shook her head and the waiter looked at him.

"Just a glass of cheap whiskey, if you don't mind," I said and dropped credits to pay for the meals. "I don't enjoy killing either. Even if they try to, or they try stealing my baby, they're going to be in for a rude awakening. The Outlander is fitted with a special self-defense security system. I don't want to talk about it out here in public. It will be quite a sight if you get to see it. Not up close. You will end up being in the splash zone," chuckling lightly to myself and taking up utensils for the Spuulk.

A moment later the server came back and placed the glass of whiskey in front of me, and left. Taking the glass in hand and gesturing it to my new bodyguard, a nod and a sip. Always proper to give a toast before taking a drink. Even if the stuff burned going down. Hot stuff!

"Do you have any human children?" She asked curiously, "Well, human or otherwise." The woman picked up her own utensils and looked down at the dish with a sigh. It was a dish with noodles, not something she was going to be able to eat there in the open. Her helmet would have to come off, and for that she had to be in private. For that reason, she set her utensils back down and simply focused on the conversation.

Back