Danse Desejo: An Interview

When writing, do you ever have a poem that just kind of doesn't want to work right? If so, do you work at it and work at it until it fits, or just move on if it seems like it is not going to happen?

When writing, do you ever have a poem that just kind of doesn't want to work right? If so, do you work at it and work at it until it fits, or just move on if it seems like it is not going to happen?

There are some poems that are difficult for me to write, either for personal reasons or technical ones. My approach would be to leave it, and come back to it in the morning, in two weeks ..in a year. I do think there is a point where you can overwork a poem and try to pack to o much into it. I think you need to meet readers where they are, and push a little bit. If something is so obtuse that no one is ever going to understand half of what you intended - what's the point?

Do you have any poems you return to read over and over because they impress or move you? If so, which poems and what do you like about them? And what are your favorite poems of your own? (I find that last question tends to change from day to day for me, so assume I mean your favorites as of today, if you have them).

Do you have any poems you return to read over and over because they impress or move you? If so, which poems and what do you like about them? And what are your favorite poems of your own? (I find that last question tends to change from day to day for me, so assume I mean your favorites as of today, if you have them).

This is where my inexperience unveils me as an imposter :rolleyes:. In terms of famous poets, no. There are some poems here on Lit that I have reread and thought about quite a bit, but that probably is because I hang out here.

Of my own poems, I don't have a favorite either. The most I can say is that right now I prefer my shorter, sparser poems, many of which are posted in the forum. They just reflect my mood better.

A blah response, sorry.

This is where my inexperience unveils me as an imposter :rolleyes:. In terms of famous poets, no. There are some poems here on Lit that I have reread and thought about quite a bit, but that probably is because I hang out here.

Of my own poems, I don't have a favorite either. The most I can say is that right now I prefer my shorter, sparser poems, many of which are posted in the forum. They just reflect my mood better.

A blah response, sorry.

It's an honest response and we all have our preferences and time to read poetry. And your poems certainly haven't suffered for failing to have a list of titles at your fingertips. :)

Impostor? Hardly. I realize that you are joking, but do you think that being well versed in the classics of poetry is something that a new or beginning poet should invest in? I am not at all, and probably will never be, but I am now curious about it.

Impostor? Hardly. I realize that you are joking, but do you think that being well versed in the classics of poetry is something that a new or beginning poet should invest in? I am not at all, and probably will never be, but I am now curious about it.

I think it's almost always worthwhile to read classics, whether poetry or prose. They have attained "classic" status for a reason, and while you may not enjoy every style chances are there will be some that bowl you over. You have to read to discover what you like, and what you don't.

Someone once told me to try everything three times before you decide you hate it --whether olives or a classic author. If you still can't stand it after three tries, well, you probably hate it. But sometimes it takes time to appreciate something, and the three tries is enough to convert you.

PS. Disclaimer, even after three tries I still hate green peppers, don't understand the fuss about Jane Austen, and sonnets do nothing for me:rolleyes:.

Wakingdown - I'd just add that for poetry, I found anthologies to be a good way to start reading classics. If you are a computer/phone person - there are also some good apps that let you explore poetry.

Tomorrow

Desejo will be traveling and likely less available and then (I think) not available for a while. So, if you have more questions for this lovely lady who writes such interesting, evocative poems, this would be the time to ask them.

And Des, if we don't get a chance to talk before you leave, happy trails, see you soon and thank you for putting the time into this interview and being such a good sport about a whole range of interesting questions.

:rose:'s for you.

Thanks to Angeline for setting this up, and to everyone here on the Forum. I'm not sure how much access I will have to Lit over the next three weeks - maybe complete, maybe none at all. In any case - keep writing!

Back