De-cluttering

[snip]

sidenote: I just told the guy I'm replying to a thread about clutter. He said don't forget to mention how you threw away my amazing rubber bands. Oh! And that baggy I had for 2 years that I kept my bandaids in. And that toothpaste squeezer thing!

:D
What's wrong with toothpaste squeezers? :p

I saw an article today about decluttering things that belong to your fantasy self.
Like kitchen stuff you have because you want to think of yourself as a baker or the flyfishing gear you have because you’d like to be outdoorsy, when in reality you never bake and you’re outdoors only as long as it takes to get from house to car.

Perhaps it is fantasy self who wants the toothpaste squeezer. Real self just squeezes the tube around the middle like most people.

I saw an article today about decluttering things that belong to your fantasy self.
Like kitchen stuff you have because you want to think of yourself as a baker or the flyfishing gear you have because you’d like to be outdoorsy, when in reality you never bake and you’re outdoors only as long as it takes to get from house to car.

Perhaps it is fantasy self who wants the toothpaste squeezer. Real self just squeezes the tube around the middle like most people.
It's not only fantasy self that can have you keeping clutter. Identities that you've out grown will do the same thing. Like if I've collected lots of supplies for whatever craft(s) that I used to do, but I either don't do any more or do rarely now. Or if part of my identity is as a person who reads lots of books, loves books around (versus using a library) but finds they have 100s of books that they'll never read/read again taking up space. I know I'm guilty of these two and am working on decluttering to my current identity. It's hard letting go of my old self...or more accurately, realizing that she's already gone.

Last summer I was out of my house for several weeks thanks to a rather large fire that came way too close to my house. I took most of what I needed, but too late remembered most of my important documents! Foolishly I still haven't gathered such into an easy to grab and run package. Thanks for the reminder!
I have way too much stuff boxed up. I have recently been forcing myself to go through at least one box a week. Either get rid or deal with the contents in some manner. I've found a few treasures and more to donate, with even more to trash.

It's not only fantasy self that can have you keeping clutter. Identities that you've out grown will do the same thing. Like if I've collected lots of supplies for whatever craft(s) that I used to do, but I either don't do any more or do rarely now. Or if part of my identity is as a person who reads lots of books, loves books around (versus using a library) but finds they have 100s of books that they'll never read/read again taking up space. I know I'm guilty of these two and am working on decluttering to my current identity. It's hard letting go of my old self...or more accurately, realizing that she's already gone.
I just did a deep dive into my "library" looking for one particular title. There were books on boats I never built, stone masonry (never built that cabin), tree grafting, plant propagation, etc. I can't let go of those dreams.

Edit: can't forget that treehouse I just had to have.

I keep looking at my library then my craft supplies. All I can think is, I'm going to retire in less than 2 years. I'll want all this stuff then.

I've slimmed it down a lot but evidently not enough.

I just did a deep dive into my "library" looking for one particular title. There were books on boats I never built, stone masonry (never built that cabin), tree grafting, plant propagation, etc. I can't let go of those dreams.

Edit: can't forget that treehouse I just had to have.
I'm a big believer that to everything there is a season. I find, for me, decluttering is so much easier if I'm ready to let go. If I'm not ready yet...'I can't let go of those dreams'...I don't worry about it and keep it, as long as I have room. Means that I often declutter in layers, like peeling an onion. Makes it painless for me.

That said, I have a couple of personal reasons for wanting to declutter a fair bit of my possessions. What I've found is that while I was quite fine keeping all sorts of things, if I actually asked myself if I wanted to keep it or donate it, the answer was quite often donate. I wasn't using it, nor would I use it in the future. It's just taking up space and I might as well declutter it instead of leaving it for someone else to do eventually. I was just living with the status quo.

I keep looking at my library then my craft supplies. All I can think is, I'm going to retire in less than 2 years. I'll want all this stuff then.

I've slimmed it down a lot but evidently not enough.
I hear you. I made a point of purchasing various craft supplies in the last few years that I was working, thinking better to buy it when I had more disposable income. With the same purpose you've stated...I'll have time to use it when I retire. But when I got it all in one place, in my craft room, I've got more than I'll ever be able to use. I love looking at it but I've been retired for a while now so I've got a better idea how much might get used. The season of my life, regarding crafts has changed. Personally, I'd rather donate it and let someone else have the pleasure of using it.

We all need to do what works for us.

What I face is not so much a de-cluttering as a full-scale reorganization of my workshop spaces. I have a couple dozen bins of hardware, small tools, accessories for tools, and miscellaneous bits and pieces that are vaguely connected with my hobby of collecting tools that I might use someday to work on a project should I ever find the time in my retirement to work on such projects. Oh, and then there’s are boxes of unfinished projects that I look into every few years for amusement and self-flagellation. It’s Mrs. Yank who needs to declutter because I’m running out of room for my stuff.

What I face is not so much a de-cluttering as a full-scale reorganization of my workshop spaces. I have a couple dozen bins of hardware, small tools, accessories for tools, and miscellaneous bits and pieces that are vaguely connected with my hobby of collecting tools that I might use someday to work on a project should I ever find the time in my retirement to work on such projects. Oh, and then there’s are boxes of unfinished projects that I look into every few years for amusement and self-flagellation. It’s Mrs. Yank who needs to declutter because I’m running out of room for my stuff.
It's called the container concept Yank. You can keep whatever you want as long as you have room for it. Can you still get a car in the garage? And surely you're not letting Mrs. Yank declutter your precious tool collection and wood working supplies! Btw where do I put in an order for one of your small clocks? ;)

It's called the container concept Yank. You can keep whatever you want as long as you have room for it. Can you still get a car in the garage? And surely you're not letting Mrs. Yank declutter your precious tool collection and wood working supplies! Btw where do I put in an order for one of your small clocks? ;)
A car in my garage? Surely you jest. In that space the table saw is king. Haven’t had a car in there in five years an I doubt there will be one again until I move out. A small clock, eh? I haven’t made one in years but I think I might have an opening in my 2025 schedule. ;)

Oh, how it gives me some comfort reading the trials other people are having. Like Midwestyankee, there has never been a car in my garage. Motorcycles yes, table saws yes, never a car.

Fantasy self and outgrown identities. Great thoughts! I'll have to look around and see what I've got that fits those descriptions.

I was ill for a bit, so our appointment was rescheduled for yesterday. I spent four days decluttering and cleaning. The house still isn't company ready, but it is much improved, and I feel better for having done the work, including two trips to Goodwill. Having a deadline made it easier to make those 'should it stay or should it go now?' decisions.

The sorting gave me time to think about my relationship to my house and my belongings, the guilt and shame I have felt in the past, and it allowed me to see how far I've come over the past four years. I have hope, and a confidence in my abilities that I've never had before. That is by far the most amazing part.

Poverty and depression can make a clean house seem unattainable. I couldn't clean the house enough to have repairmen come, and I couldn't afford the tools I needed to do the cleaning. Vacuum, weed eater, an extra trash barrel for my large family, a truck or trailer to make dump runs. We survived a summer without a cooler, a winter without our wall heater. This year will not be like that - such relief!!

These are the quiet victories that give me peace.

Just read an article on a retired couple that is homeless...they live on cruise ships full time. They de-cluttered when, in the midst of a cross country move, the moving van with all of their stuff in it crashed and burned. They're down to a backpack each.

That's one way to do it.

Oh how few things have been de-cluttered since we last posted about this subject. I am still working on my "stuff" but I get frequently stop when I open "that" box only to find and re-read that book that I remembered reading so long ago. Now to find room for it on the shelves.
Anyone want a 10 volume of "The Book of Knowledge" 1940 copyright. Yea, I didn't think so. I wll try to donate, but they will probably will eventually become landfill.

Anyone want a 10 volume of "The Book of Knowledge" 1940 copyright. Yea, I didn't think so. I wll try to donate, but they will probably will eventually become landfill.

If it looks good cafés and furniture stores might use it as display.

Back