Dear Angeline

flyguy69 said:
Leave to Lauren to find bondage in geometry. I'll bet you were the teacher's pet!
...or the other way around.

Lauren Hynde said:
This was on the link The Fool posted on the first page of this thread:

Disyllables
- pyrrhus or dibrach: two short syllables
- iamb: Consisting of a short syllable followed by a long one, or of an unaccented syllable followed by an accented; as, an iambic foot.
- trochee or choree: A metrical foot of two syllables, the first long and the second short, as in the Latin word ante, or the first accented and the second unaccented, as in the English word motion; a choreus.
- spondee: A poetic foot of two long syllables

Trisyllables
- tribrach: short-short-short
- anapest: short-short-long
- amphibrach: short-long-short
- bacchius: short-long-long
- dactyl: long-short-short
- amphimacer or cretic: long-short-long
- antibacchius: long-long-short
- molossus: long-long-long

Tetrasyllables
- tetrabrach or proceleusmatic: short-short-short-short
- quartus paeon: short-short-short-long
- tertius paeon: short-short-long-short
- minor ionic, or double iamb: short-short-long-long
- secundus paeon: short-long-short-short
- diamb: short-long-short-long
- antispast: short-long-long-short
- first epitrite: short-long-long-long
- primus paeon: long-short-short-short
- choriamb: long-short-short-long
- ditrochee: long-short-long-short
- second epitrite: long-short-long-long
- major ionic: long-long-short-short
- third epitrite: long-long-short-long
- fourth epitrite: long-long-long-short
- dispondee: long-long-long-long

raise hand and waves back and forth...

Will there be a test on this at the end of thread?

:D ...good stuff, complicated, but very helpfull.

Thanks all.

neonurotic said:
dear angeline,

you're a cool poet-type chick. i likes you a lot

best wishes,
neonurotic

ps can you bring back your bikini babe av?

This av?
<---------------------------------

I likes you too, Papi. ;)

Ok Haiku. :D

I hear from a reliable source (and since there are never too many posts on the PB, I am sure you have heard it too, :D) that Jim is good at this, but Angeline just posted has a sexy AV right now ... so ... :devil:

If memory serves, it is a three line 7 - 5 - 7 poem, or maybe it is not so static? What is the general consensus on how the (any) theme presents itself in this form?

Example - is there a beginning, end and middle? Or is it a statement, something totally metaphoric and then another statement, but a summarizing one?

This, I do no recall, and my high school books are completely useless, :rolleyes: no surprise, there.

Lazily reading about trochaic stuff, elgiac quatrains and the like for Fool's challenge :rolleyes: and I come across chapter seven titled: Traditional English Verse: other forms ... including "EXOTICA"

I skip to the page and find a rondeau. Why is rondeau under the title exotica in my poetry book? Is it inherantly a form of exotica, or is there another poetic form called Exotica, and if so, does anyone know what it is?

EDIT TO ADD: This book tells me nothing about it - just leaves me with rondeau and a ballade by Dante Gabriel Rossetti called the 'Ballade of Dead Ladies'.

CharleyH said:
Lazily reading about trochaic stuff, elgiac quatrains and the like for Fool's challenge :rolleyes: and I come across chapter seven titled: Traditional English Verse: other forms ... including "EXOTICA"

I skip to the page and find a rondeau. Why is rondeau under the title exotica in my poetry book? Is it inherantly a form of exotica, or is there another poetic form called Exotica, and if so, does anyone know what it is?

EDIT TO ADD: This book tells me nothing about it - just leaves me with rondeau and a ballade by Dante Gabriel Rossetti called the 'Ballade of Dead Ladies'.
Rondeau is originally a French form. The only explanation I can think of is that for the author of that book, being from across the Channel was enough to qualify the form as being exotica, i.e. different from the traditional English forms.

Lauren Hynde said:
Rondeau is originally a French form. The only explanation I can think of is that for the author of that book, being from across the Channel was enough to qualify the form as being exotica, i.e. different from the traditional English forms.

hmmm (thinking)

Ok, off with the proverbial old form HEADS. I ask every once in a while, but the avant-garde is dear to me, so .... can we not, particularly those poets: Ang, Fool, Eve and I am sure Boo, Monkey and Triss, not to mention all the others who may or may not write/know form:

Is there no NEW form to create? Have we exhausted all creativity? If nothing, or no form is called Exotica, (as previous) then why do WE NOT create it? If a form is old, why not revive it in a new way? WHERE does poetic passion lay? Poetry deserves a neo-renaissance, no?

Just a very post-modern, multiplicity ... of questions. Anyone care to answer? :) :rose:

Last edited:
I'm sure new forms come about every day. The trick is to keep them alive and thriving.

Did you ever write a Bob? Or a Hynde Hypersonnet? :D

Lauren Hynde said:
I'm sure new forms come about every day. The trick is to keep them alive and thriving.

Did you ever write a Bob? Or a Hynde Hypersonnet? :D

Do I detect self-promotion?

PS: I did a Bob :| And where is Dear Angeline when I need her most? :)

Last edited:
CharleyH said:
Do I detect self-promotion?

PS: I did a Bob :| And where is Dear Angeline when I need her most? :)

I just got home from work. I had to teach math. My head hurts.

What was the question again? :D

Oh, well Lauren--the beotch--took my answer. I was gonna tell you to go write a Bob. :D

But you can invent a new form. Anyone can, right?

Have you written any ghazals or pantoums yet?

:rose:

Oh, the only form I ever invented here was boob-ku. You might want to ask someone else lol.

Lauren invented the hypersonnet, Icing Sugar, the Bob. Lauren wasn't there Ho-ku?

Angeline said:
Oh, the only form I ever invented here was boob-ku. You might want to ask someone else lol.

Lauren invented the hypersonnet, Icing Sugar, the Bob. Lauren wasn't there Ho-ku?
What about foolio's villesonnet?.. I liked that one.

edited to add the link to the vile sonnet thread

Last edited:
Angeline said:
I just got home from work. I had to teach math. My head hurts.

What was the question again? :D

Oh, well Lauren--the beotch--took my answer. I was gonna tell you to go write a Bob. :D

But you can invent a new form. Anyone can, right?

Have you written any ghazals or pantoums yet?

:rose:

Oh you got home? And had wine?

Angeline said:

Bob - boobs and hyper-sonnet? THESE ARE NEW FORMS?

You guys! Come on, you're joking, right? :D

CharleyH said:
Oh you got home? And had wine?

I had a bottle of Bar Harbor blueberry ale, which sounds disgusting I know, but it's actually pretty good.

And yes, boob-ku. I don't make these things up. :D

Angeline said:
I had a bottle of Bar Harbor blueberry ale, which sounds disgusting I know, but it's actually pretty good.

And yes, boob-ku. I don't make these things up. :D

I wish you would sometimes, though. :D

Ok lets start in kindergarten. WHO LOVES the culture they live in?

Back