Dialog vs Dialogue

Currentlywize - as opposed the sometime in the past with foolishness - I may Yank, but I'm never quick.

Last edited:
Being the serious Anglophile that I am, I like the "British" spellings of certain words... including your example "dialogue" but also colour, theatre, grey, etc.
:rose:

hotforhim said:
Being the serious Anglophile that I am, I like the "British" spellings of certain words... including your example "dialogue" but also colour, theatre, grey, etc.
I just picked up some feedback on my first post. The guy (dunno really, 'cos the feedback was anonymous) was really negative: "At this point I give up. The errors continue. Find yourself an editor who knows what he/she is doing." However, while some of his (or her) points were valid, complaining that, "In this paragraph defenses is misspelled" did get up my nose, since my Concise Oxford does say "Defence (US defense)" - and his repeated use of "ellipses" when he means the singular -ellipsis - didn't impress me favourably either!

Needless (I suppose) to say, the feedback was anonymous, so I can't reply, but what the hell?

Well, what the hell is that I would like to correct the typos he did identify. I have read something somewhere in here about posting edited versions of stories, but can't find it. Can anyone please tell me how do that?

Thanks in advance,

f5

Last edited:
fifty5 said:
[B
Well, what the hell is that I would like to correct the typos he did identify. I have read something somewhere in here about posting edited versions of stories, but can't find it. Can anyone please tell me how do that?

Thanks in advance,

f5 [/B]

I've done that a few times...

Fix the story, resubmit it like so

EDITED STORY Glamorpuss 4

In the comments box, write something like "please replace the original version of glamorpuss 4 with this version. thanks"

It took a little longer for them to be reposted than for a new story, but it happened. Fro the record, yes you get to keep your views and score on the story, if you care about it.

hotforhim said:

"color" I can deal with...but grey vs gray? why should spell check freak out when I write "grey?"

Theatre and theater...I was told in middle school that my teacher would accept either one, and I've been using "theatre" ever since. Makes me feel all smart and stuff.

Chicklet,

Why "colour" instead of "color?"

There IS no color, unless "u" are in it to "c." :(

Bee Eff Dee

I don't see what the hell the controversy is about. It I'm reading a book containing the words "colour" and "defence" I realize it was written by a Brit. That's all. So what? The words mean the same thing.
MG
Ps. Dan's your grandpa.

Re: Bee Eff Dee

MathGirl said:
I don't see what the hell the controversy is about. It I'm reading a book containing the words "colour" and "defence" I realize it was written by a Brit. That's all. So what? The words mean the same thing.
MG
Amonst the literate -on either side of the pond - that's quite so, but some people (and spell-checkers) get upset...

f5

They aren't two different words. They are two different
spellings. Since the last two letters in "dialogue" are
silent, many people leave them out. The change is Yank in
the sense that a great many spelling reforms are Yank, but
it isn't as hardened into Yank usage as "color" is.

Back