England - World Champions

:D

I'm great, thanks. Hey, if I don't catch you online again before Tuesday, have a good one. My girl is up there these days too, so maybe you'll bump into one another. :rose:

Wills said:
WSO

I think you will find in Rugby Clubs up and down the land, the words to Swing Low... are rather different from the original. In the club they only use the tune, each verse describes a different hmm... activity many of which I am afraid I have absolutely no understanding.

Will's ;)

*sigh* Looks like another research trip.

:D

Wills said:
WSO

I think you will find in Rugby Clubs up and down the land, the words to Swing Low... are rather different from the original. In the club they only use the tune, each verse describes a different hmm... activity many of which I am afraid I have absolutely no understanding.

Out on the terraces the original words are sung creating the popular illusion that rugby is a Gentlemans game and those rough brawny lads would no more do unmentional things to a ladies nether regions than a boy scout would refuse to help an old lady cross the road.

Will's ;)
(Really peeved that Real.com failed to provide enough capacity to enable me to hear the game in Portugal despite paying 25 euros for the privilege)

Sorry Wills, but not strictly true. The reason why Swing Low has become an English anthem is because rugby used to be supported solely by old farts. It was first sung at Twickenham when Chris Oti scored a hat-trick against Ireland (Oti was a very rare black rugby player in those days) and the crowd thought that singing a negro slave song would be a good gesture of support for a black player.

I love singing the song and think it's a great way to support my team. Just wish the tradition had more illustrious beginnings.

The Earl

Back