Enjoyment from poetry - writers vs readers

Chicklet said:
okay

i've gotten quite a few very negative feedbacks about my poetry, people writing to tell me it's shit, that my style sucks, that i don't make any sense, that i just keep producing crap. you know what? I enjoy writing it, crap or not.

Question to the real poets out there:

What's more important? The enjoyment you get out of your writing, or the enjoyment the readers get? Should I keep going, whether it's taken well or not, or should I keep it to myself? Well, maybe not what *I* should do, since I will keep posting as long as I enjoy it, but what would you do?

-Chicklet
My thought is- that you need to decide, on a poem-by-poem basis;
who is this poem for?
If you are writing it for yourself, and don't need to post it, that's fine.
If you are writing it to be read- then you really have to think of your readers.
It may be that you need to work on your skills some more, in order to accomplish the task you've set yourself! :)

Angeline said:
I personally would do what I love, but a poem needs to appeal to its intended audience like any writing. So I know if I use the standard conventions of the genre--metaphorical language, imagery, rhythmic construction, and so on, I write better poems.

As a reader I want a poem to move me--I want it to evoke whatever it means to through those conventions. If I'm not doing that as a writer, I know I'm not reaching readers. And why share writing with anyone if you know it's not communicating?

One of the hardest things for me to learn as a poet--and I think this is because I've worked as an editor, always trying to make writing clear and straightforward--has been that poems need to show with poetic conventions, not explain in the conventional sense. That is very different from prose--even moody, evocative prose--because even there you mostly need to be straightforward.

Learning to write more subjectively, subtly--to convey without explaining--is what the craft of poetry is all about. And like anything, if you read about the process, read poetry, and then practice, you get better at it. This is how a person gets taken more seriously as a poet.

Feedback, I'd learn from and not worry about the nasty factor--some people have to make themselves feel good by beating on you. We all get that. Personally, I tend to ignore any feedback that isn't explained. If someone can't tell me *why* my poem is crap, they probably don't know what they're saying. :)

Ditto ~ ( wiping brown off nose )

Thought this might be a bit useful
for our new poets out there.
Maybe for others too.

:rose:

Happy Writing ~

Chicklet said:
okay

i've gotten quite a few very negative feedbacks about my poetry, people writing to tell me it's shit, that my style sucks, that i don't make any sense, that i just keep producing crap. you know what? I enjoy writing it, crap or not.

Question to the real poets out there:

What's more important? The enjoyment you get out of your writing, or the enjoyment the readers get? Should I keep going, whether it's taken well or not, or should I keep it to myself? Well, maybe not what *I* should do, since I will keep posting as long as I enjoy it, but what would you do?

-Chicklet
I
started reading fractured. To me it is a story [prose]. if you're going to write poetry condense it somewhat. and try finding a rhyme scheme to practice future poems with. If you like free style that's ok but if fractured is any indication i think you should go for short stories or novels. just one poet's opinion

Back