Female humour

Going the original route here, and bringing the thread back to its FIRST topic - female humour!:eek:

My friend M, who I keep mentioning over and over again, works at a supermarket. She likes her job very much, because she gets along great with most of her co-workers. One of the thing they like to do, is to sit and gab and have little verbal fights. At one of these, this one guy was trying to gross out all the girls/women in the staff cafeteria, by telling them about some injury he had had, that was full of puss. (No, not pussy, that yellow, floating things that come out of wounds... no, not babies! NO, not sperm! Sperm's white, silly! Puss! Oh, look it up in a dictionary. Huh? It's a book that explains difficult words...:rolleyes: )
M and her favourite co-worker, A, looked at each other and grinned evilly. Then they started the following little dialogue:

What's up, A? Having your period?
Yep. You too?
Uh-huh. Bloody like hell. It just keeps flowing over. I change those damned tampons every hour, and by then, they're all full of blood and slime, and it's even leaked down my panties.
Yeah, don't you just hate it when that happens? And the cramps..!
Yeah. And to top it all off, my husband was horny last night, and he fucked me so the blood was splatting around the bed...

At this part of their conversation, the guy left the room in a hurry, his face looking a tad green...:p

Dear Svenska,
In the "Mr Creosote" scene from "The Meaning of Life" the people in the posh dining room don't take much notice of Mr C's ballistic vomiting. A woman merely mentioning that she's having a heavy period clears the room.
Menstrually yers,
DG

Good to see you again, DG!

I think it goes back to the old primitive days, when we believed that menstruating women had strong, magical powers.

Nowadays, we know that those attacks can be softened by Midol.

Flicka, it's just pus, and is pronounced just like 'us' with the p in front. Leave off the second s and you'll save all the extra pussy humor.

Perdita

DurtGurl said:
Personally, Im waiting for a man who likes "Hee Haw" and looks like Virginia Woolfe.
DG

Hee Haw is woefully neglected classic television.

HMMmmm...

Women have a self-deprecating humor, but also a more emotional one, like it's shown in films like The Sweetest Thing and read in chick lit.

Male humor? Watch Men Behaving Badly. Theirs is a bit darker, I think.

Re: HMMmmm...

MsWriter26 said:

Except that they stole a wonderfully funny idea about two brothers with a quirky peurile/male sense of humour and turned into shit.

I know. I was was that boy.

Gauche

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Getting a bit worried here, I seem to have a strong feminine side according to this thread, must stop laughing at myself and taking the piss out of myself, (no that wasn't toilet humour).

Never been one for finding farting amusing, except the lift scene in 'Pink Panther' that's because I knew it took 27 takes to film before Peter Sellers could stop corpsing with laughter.

So I suppose, Female ditty:

Woman rushed into the butchers and demanded, "two lamb chops and make them lean my man".

Butcher replies, " which way madam".

Male ditty:

Guy goes to the doctor and asks if he has something for wind.

The doctor gave him a kite.

Sorry I'll go.............

Re: HMMmmm...

MsWriter26 said:
Women have a self-deprecating humor, but also a more emotional one, like it's shown in films like The Sweetest Thing and read in chick lit.

hahahaha

yeah I like your style..

:cool:

mlle, I think you got it exactly right; and if not, you're close to the mark. As one who plans to become a psychologist some day, as well as one of the few extant men who CAN self-deprecate and is NOT gay, I've always been interested in what exactly goes into the mold when someone produces a "sensitive new-age" man. (In other words, How the hell did I end up here?!) I think it does have a lot to do with being able to look at oneself and admit / make fun of one's flaws. Certainly all the jerkoffs at my high school seemed to have miserably low self-awareness. Now that's not proof in itself, obviously; this bears investigating. But I think you're on to something.

</tangent>

Vincent E said:
Some of this is going way over my head. All I know is that the day I find a woman who appreciates Monty Python, Benny Hill, and the Three Stooges I am grabbing her.

Of course I could get into a lot of trouble if I grab her in public, but I'm willing to take my chances.

Nobody expects a spanish inqusition

To bad I'm a lesbian vince . I'm looking for the same woman call me if you find her

Men are proof woman can take a joke

lol JK:rolleyes:

"What I think of as "female humor" often seems to be self-deprecating (this also extends to gay male humor). I think this is a result of having been brought up with the expectation that we need to constantly question ourselves- appearances, behavior, perception by the world at large. Think of how many women eagerly embrace therapy. There's kind of this "Well, of course there's something wrong with me!" kind of mentality."

I'd agree with that but I also think it has to do with how women are expected to interact with others. I think a lot of women aren't self-deprecating because they truly think less of themselves but they're aware that don't make jokes about themselves they'll be perceived as someone who thinks they're better than others. Men are expected to brag and tell 'competitive' jokes and women are supposed to make self-deprecating jokes and those, of either gender, who don’t, won't fit in as easily. It also seems the lower a person is on the totem pole the more they insult themselves or brag about themselves.

Actually, reading over your post again, I'm basically repeating you.

" Think about it- even those of us girls with the most progressive upbringing were expected to be able to be vigilantly self-aware and self-critical- not necessarily negative, but this was often the outgrowth. <snip>

Boys, by contrast, are often told by doting mothers how wonderful they are, how talented, how no girl is good enough for their little prince."

As the only child of a single mother I think I was given a very 'boyish' childhood. My mother dotes on me; if I were to go on a homicidal rampage tomorrow she would still think I was the center of the universe. I've known many women who weren't as fortunate and some are almost eager to put themselves down. I tend to think of it as an unconscious submissive gesture or a bid for validation. It's not unusual for a woman to make a joke about how overweight she is and have her friends chime in about how she looks fine and/or how they aren't skinny.

It's quite a contrast to my jokes with my stepfather. He tells me he's going to have my cat stuffed and mounted while I comment on his baldness/mental abilities/personality.

That's not to say women don’t make mean jokes. Think women tend to pour more vitriol into their 'jokes' when they don't like someone wherein men will just start insulting.

it's the absurdity of life

Svenska-

Thoughtful thread.

I think that women use humor as a way to deal with the absurdity of being a woman. Physiologically, we are so screwed. If we didn't laugh at the challenges we face we would be depressed. Wait, lots of women are depressed. hmmmmm

We can laugh about one boob being bigger than the other, or cry. We can laugh at flooding so badly that we ruined the front seat of our car, or we can be mortified. We can laugh at how we almost threw our kids out the window for tapping on the table incessantly, or we can be horrified.

:rose:
ovary free :D b

Speaking of flows ruining the car seat, that reminds about this Swdish female stand-up-comedian. She read this monologue about the time when she worked as a foreman in a mine up in the north of Sweden. This one time, she got her period and didn't have any tampons with her. She would have to go to the nearest super market (which, if you know the geography of northern Sweden, means about 30 kilometres away) to buy a box. She told her nearest co-worker that she had to go and buy a box of tampons, and he was shocked.

"What's the matter?" she said. "You DO know that women have periods, don't you?"

"Yes," he said. "But during a work day???"

To avoid the long journey, they got the idea that she might use some cotton, and roll it up, and... you get the picture. Unfortunately, they were out of cotton in the first aid-kit in the office, so the guy called out on the speaker phones, asking if any work station had any cotton in their first aid-kits.

This caused a minor chaos, as the men thought that there had been some kind of accident. The young guy then called out in the speakers again, to calm their fears:

"Don't panic! There's nothing wrong, the foreman just got her period!"

Finally, they decided that the young guy should drive her to the super market in the company truck. She heard one of the male workers ask the young guy:

"Say, if she's bleeding VERY much... could she sit on the back of the truck instead?"

She concluded her monologue by saying:

"Ever since that night, I have asked myself, over and over and over again - why the hell didn't I drive the fucking truck myself???"

I think you'll find that the reason women will use self-deprecating humour with each other (apart from it being with each other and completely different with blokes) is that they don't use spoken language when communicating. If ever anyone can 'cut you dead with a look' it's a woman to another woman.

The words coming out of their mouths isn't necessarily what they are 'saying'.

Gauche

And it's no good trying to prove me wrong with typed words. I can't see the flick of the hair or the narrowing of the eyes or hear the 'way' you say it.

This morning, when I came to the bust stop, two women were sitting there, checking their notes in large note pads. They apparently belonged to the same class. I sat down next to them, and took out my note pad, to work on my Erotic Horror story. The woman in the middle suddenly started laughing.

"The passing cars must wonder, when they see us!" she giggled.

And then it hit me that we must look kinda funny indeed. Three women, all sitting with their legs crossed, large white note pads in their laps, reading their notes... Like a secretary convention!:)

Svenskaflicka said:
This morning, when I came to the bust stop, two women were sitting there, checking their notes in large note pads. They apparently belonged to the same class. I sat down next to them, and took out my note pad, to work on my Erotic Horror story. The woman in the middle suddenly started laughing.

"The passing cars must wonder, when they see us!" she giggled.

And then it hit me that we must look kinda funny indeed. Three women, all sitting with their legs crossed, large white note pads in their laps, reading their notes... Like a secretary convention!:)
Welcome to the Web digs of Home Office Records, an independent record label here in New York City with big plans for fine music and a penchant for exceptionally fine beer. We are a home and an office for our fine indie artists, and what is love, anyway? Howard Jones was asking. Anyway, we hope you'll look us over, check out our bands and friends, and buy all our musical stuff. Because you are clearly a fine and discerning person. And we love that.

New CD Alert: We huffed and puffed and said "Yo" a few times (as one will, these days) and this past February 28th released the newest bit of Marwood into the world, with a sold-out show at the East Village's spiffiest new venue, Pianos. "Radio Personalities" is a limited-release hand-numbered boutique edition EP to tease the discerning palate with hi-fi live tracks, never-before-heard studio takes of fan favorites, and even (since you've been good) a classic cover. This is the first of our Home Office SQUIRT™ series, a line of on-the-spot, rough-and-ready fan CD's manufactured with love and care and a flashy immediacy. There's a place for the megastore in this world, and there's also a place to be the first on your block to grab a special edition that's sure to sell out fast. Only a few hundred of these were made, grab them now. We're already about halfway through the run, so buy early and often. Did we mention that Marwood answers the burning musical question, "wouldn't it be great if Coldplay drank a case of Red Bull and actually wrote some songs again?" Hint: yes.

And That's Not All: A fond and warm welcome aboard to Los Angeles' inimitable Switchblade Kittens, a pastel plethora of candy-colored pop punk musical goodness, and the newest in the growing Home Office caravan. Pitched gleefully along the nerf-punk lines of The Go-Go's (Redux) or Blink without the Wink, the Skittens are a mostly-grrl (there's a boy in there, but just one of 'em) extreme pop band with no guitars and three flavors of bass. Think Ramones for the Noughties, but with a serious difference. Watch for them on the West Coast leg of this summer's massive Vans WARPED Tour! A lucky observant few will have noticed Switchblade Kittens lead singer Drama, the Girl with the Rainbow Bangs, visiting frosty New York briefly round the Ides of March for a BBC docu-filming and interview as she put down a few tracks for the band's upcoming early-summer release. And all that after getting a Monroe piercing. Ow. While we create our web coverage for Marwood and the Switchblade Kittens, we refer you to their excellent full-service sites, which come complete with pictures, sound, and rare style.

By choice and by calling, the Home Office home team lives in the clubs and dim musical dens of New York, and we are to be found just about nightly out and about absorbing the slings and arrows of outrageous nightlife. Our site is home to The Gigometer™, an exhaustively-compiled and fanatically-updated concert calendar with all of our favorite stuff (and some which, like oatmeal or spinach, may not be our favorite stuff but still deserves a good listen). Like-minded local readers can use The Gigometer™ as an entry-level guide into the vast and lush forest of local bands and venues. This is a free service of Home Office Records, and does not get you on spam lists or assault you with pop-up ads for digital cameras. We hate that, and we're certainly not going to wish it on you. We also offer a free email version of The Gigometer™, which we send out every Wednesday afternoon. Please note that our listings are limited to New York City and its local environs, as well as to Home Office Records artists wherever they may be playing ... and that's been as far off as California on the left and Belgium on the right, so far.

There's plenty brewing here at Home Office Central, and we'd like to let you know all about it as soon as the needle hits the groove. If you like that sort of thing, take a moment to join our mailing list and we'll keep you up-to-the-minute and currrent. In the meantime, this is our small sweet slice of New York's independent music scene. Home Office Records also handles music by seminal Hoboken New-Wave popsters The Cucumbers, who transform yesteryear into tomorrow with ringing and bracing style; four-square East Village pop-rockers Pawnshop; The Dan Emery Mystery Band, a raucous, witty antifolk operation currently on family hiatus; and much-missed ur-shoegazers RAW Kinder, whose early ethereal recordings cut to the heart of the head long before that sort of thing was fashionable in Gen-X circles.

Where We've Been: In our six years as an indie label, we have released six great CD's, obtained national retail distribution, and talked the talk on panels at seminars and music conferences in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, Dewey Beach, and Harrisburg. We've also walked the walk as conference members across the continent in Austin, Toronto and Seattle. Two of our artists were featured as weekly picks on Napster in the late lamented heyday of that wonderful service, and music by Home Office bands can be heard on ESPN's "The Life" show as well as in a variety of independent films. Our artists and staff have been quoted in The New York Times on-line and off, in the Philadelphia Inquirer, and in magazines including The Standard and FUTUR(e)S, which is a French WIRED clone of a glossy (much like WIRED, but with more topless women. Hey, it's France, you know).

On these pages you will find new and nearly-new fan information, music samples and links, current listings of live music we love and recommend, and juicy discourse on our growing HO catalog of fine recordings. After the difficult events of our last September, compounded by mixed feelings and frank laziness in the time that followed, much of this site is way out of date. Oops. We're working on it now and plan to roll out a complete redesign and overhaul sometime Real Soon Now. In the meantime, jump over to the band that catches your eye, listen to some tunes, and check out what we've got ... and while you're here, take a moment to join our email list, so you can stay current and up-to with our stirrings. No, we do not sell or share your email address and we do our best not to abuse it, either. No worries.

The HO Catalogue and Band Menu | The Gigometer™
The Tune Room | What's New at HO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fuck them ho's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Humour? I just know I've got a dry and sarcastic sense of humour. And I love double entendres.

:)

Back