Great Words That You Probably Don't Use

I applaud your restraint. I think a lot of fantasy writers in particular don't exercise this restraint. I don't know what a fucking destrier is, George.

But actually it doesn't bother me. I say use palfrey, and if people want to know what it is they'll look it up. A lot of times I might think of a fancy word that might be fun to use, and I opt not to use it, but that's not because I think people won't know what it means. I opt not to use it because in that particular context, or in the voice I've given the narrator, it's not the right word.
Palfrey and destrier are words I know from various fantasy and historical novels and fanfics. CS Lewis called Caspian's horse Destrier.

When writing for entertainment and immersion, you can use more niche language IMO, but be mindful of what words are likely to be unknown to many of your audience and provide some context.

So if someone says "Here's your horse, ma'am," and the next sentence is 'I swung myself onto the plump palfrey. She neighed.' then you're good.

Know what palfrey (a good horse for riding long distances unencumbered - possibly not good if they're plump?) and destrier (a mean bastard war horse) are because I'm currently writing (well, it's kinda stalled) a story set in the middle-ages. Unfortunately, my MC is a knight and these distinctions are important so I have to get them right(ish) especially as my title has the word 'Mare' in it! It's the difference between a Ford pick up truck (or an Abrahams tank) and a Ferarri.

I say use palfrey, and if people want to know what it is they'll look it up.
No, because palfrey is too close to paltry and the reader may just blip past it. Even when I hear it read aloud I think "did I mean paltry?" that would leave the reader with the idea that it's a worthless horse. That's something else I look at while I'm writing, can my choice of words be mistaken for something else? I try to avoid words like palfrey/paltry or pidgin/pigeon where the reader thinks creole is a bird cooing.

I know, I know, you can lead a reader to fodder but you can't make him think.

Last edited:
OK, these are words that I DO use at work, but I doubt anyone would use them in a story.
Horripilation: His touch causes horripilation to form on her arm. (Goosebumps)
Sphenopalatine Ganglioneuralgia: When she ate the ice cream she suffered Sphenopalatine Ganglioneuralgia (brain freeze
Now, I must leave. I am having Borborygmi, in other words, I'm hungry and my stomach is growling. 👩‍⚕️

OK, these are words that I DO use at work, but I doubt anyone would use them in a story.
Horripilation: His touch causes horripilation to form on her arm. (Goosebumps)
Sphenopalatine Ganglioneuralgia: When she ate the ice cream she suffered Sphenopalatine Ganglioneuralgia (brain freeze
Now, I must leave. I am having Borborygmi, in other words, I'm hungry and my stomach is growling. 👩‍⚕️
Probably not but Horripilation would be a great name for a light horror piece...

I occasionally use the term epididymal hypertension, it's a very classy way to say "Blue Balls"

I've used susurration in several stories, usually in the context of a light rain, but also leaves in a light wind, scuttering on the ground.

In my formal education, our teachers encouraged us to develop an extensive vocabulary. We were always advised to consult a dictionary if we encounter a word which we are unfamiliar with. I also happened to have married a woman whose mother (i.e. my mother-in-law) was fond of saying to her: “Why use a twenty-five cent word when a fifty cent word would serve better.”

This penchant of ours apparently had an influence on our children via osmosis, I guess. That was evinced on the occasion my wife first visited our oldest daughter who was in the Navy and stationed at Jacksonville, FL at the time. Having met one of my daughter’s Navy friends and after engaged in a prolonged discussion with the friend, who observed to my wife, “Well I now can see that Kirsten (our daughter) was not putting on airs in our conversations. It just comes natural to her.”

For this thread my favorite word which I do use frequently in my submissions to Literotica is ‘pulchritude’. It comes from Latin word pulcher meaning beautiful so that pulchritude in English means beauty, grace, physical charm. I did take Latin in high school as well as a credit in college, and that is where I developed a love for this word. Incidentally, I did come across a story in Literotica where the author used this word as well.

I love to use the word Paramour, it sounds so much more romantic that describing a boyfriend or girlfriend as a 'lover.' And if I'm going to use paramour, amorous won't be far away

I love to use the word Paramour, it sounds so much more romantic that describing a boyfriend or girlfriend as a 'lover.' And if I'm going to use paramour, amorous won't be far away
Love paramour, too. It has a more mysterious, illicit connotation... :)

I like the word "Petrichor," which is the earthy scent when rain falls on dry soil, because it's a great scent and I like that there's a word specifically for it. I have to use it sometime.

Have you ever had the pleasure of this after a light shower in a sagebrush desert? The aroma is heavenly.

I like the word "Petrichor," which is the earthy scent when rain falls on dry soil, because it's a great scent and I like that there's a word specifically for it. I have to use it sometime.
Great word and one of my favorite scents. Kind f wonder if it would work in the context of 'the petrichor of her sex.'

Have you ever had the pleasure of this after a light shower in a sagebrush desert? The aroma is heavenly.

I don't think so, but I can imagine it. I live in a dry climate so I know very well what the smell is like and it's one of my favorites.

Back