Holiday Traditions and Perversions

Most Christmas decorations bore me, but I like to fashion wreaths out of whatever I can find...ivy, pine, holly, mistletoe, etc. And I wear lots of red and green, drink eggnog, eat chocolate covered cherries...the usual stuff.

Here it's called joulupukki, Yule Goat. Originally a scary little fucker with horns going from house to house drinking booze and eating food, being a pain in the ass in the name of fertility, frightening kids but also sometimes bringing the kids presents or birch twigs for spanking for the naughty ones. These days the Yule Goat generally looks like the Coca-Cola Santa and just brings gifts. Boo. At least it's kept the name.

I have pics of my grandpa dressing up as OG Yule Goat for Christmas from the 80s, but the goat tradition is pretty much dead.

And I remember writing a letter to Santa maybe once as a kid.

I like the traditions of decorating a tree with family when I was younger and then a group of friends later. I don’t really have a group to do that with right now though. I like the spending time with people that are important to me most.

Here it's called joulupukki, Yule Goat. Originally a scary little fucker with horns going from house to house drinking booze and eating food, being a pain in the ass in the name of fertility, frightening kids but also sometimes bringing the kids presents or birch twigs for spanking for the naughty ones. These days the Yule Goat generally looks like the Coca-Cola Santa and just brings gifts. Boo. At least it's kept the name.

I have pics of my grandpa dressing up as OG Yule Goat for Christmas from the 80s, but the goat tradition is pretty much dead.

And I remember writing a letter to Santa maybe once as a kid.

Julbocken was a thing in Sweden too but was forgotten in favor of a Santa Claus figure.
attachment.php

I think it is fascinating how traditions spread and still evolve.

Attachments

• C9245EEE-8D26-418D-8AE3-F447A60367BE.jpeg
    C9245EEE-8D26-418D-8AE3-F447A60367BE.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 4
Most Christmas decorations bore me, but I like to fashion wreaths out of whatever I can find...ivy, pine, holly, mistletoe, etc. And I wear lots of red and green, drink eggnog, eat chocolate covered cherries...the usual stuff.

I caved and bought a box of Queen Anne chocolate covered cherries. I haven't opened them yet. I just stared at them longingly whilst I wrapped presents all afternoon.

Godzilla tree topper
Driving our classic car on Christmas Day wearing Santa hats
Decorating our tractor in our front yard
Crazy ass stocking stuffers
I always get my wife a sex toy or some kind (this year a clitoral massager)
Our crazy homemade punk rock ornaments
Trimming the tree as a family. Since my kids are still in college, it’s a little sad to do it w/o them
Making my moms pinwheel cookies
Pork roll and eggs on Christmas mornings
Watching the Yule log on tv
My daughter especially likes watching chromas shows on tv (sad cuz she’s away at college)

Well, one Christmas tradition done...

I stuffed up making my marmalade jelly candies. This happens every year. I try to make a double batch and it never works out. It takes too long to cool down and that ruins the consistency, because the agar powder can't take heat for that long.

But the flavor was once again really good. So spreadable marmalade it is.

It's good to have traditions. And I suppose it tells that secretly I'm an optimist (or an idiot) because I always try this again thinking that maybe this time it'll work out. :rolleyes:

Christmas tree bondage:http://youtu.be/ZgqB3A1Yy9I

We just released our tree after bringing it home.
Making sylta (head cheese?) and later we will make köttbullar(meat balls).
Going out for dinner tonight because that’s enough cooking.

The first Icelandic Santa comes on the 12th, so today!

He's Stekkjarstaur, the Santa with the long peglegs that bothers the sheep and drinks their milk.

https://grayline.is/blog/christmas-traditions-in-iceland

It’s interesting with Icelandic traditions. It’s a bit like Scandinavian traditions and then again it’s not.

We make a kransekake every year.
Fun to make, fun to eat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pauls_kransekake_83354

pauls_kransekake_83354_16x9.jpg

I love kransekage but have never mede one myself.

My GS and I continued a holiday tradition in my family by making shortbread this week. My father used to make it before he passed ten years ago. Its all part of the family tradition of the Men preparing the Christmas meal ( don't get excited: including clean up). When it was originated, it was me, my Dad, My grandfather, My Uncle and my cousin. There was a lot of whisky involved...I still do the Turkey for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Drive around at night, look at all the beautiful houses and lights….

Naked….

With road head and mutual masturbation.

Jingle all the way!

Warning: extreme perversion ahead. Some may be offended, but it is in keeping with the Season.

On Christmas mornings we open our stockings first thing. It placates the "kids".

After, we pause for breakfast. By tradition we have Eggs Benedict. (Packaged Hollendaise Sauce; I'm not Gordon Ramsey).

It is served on a plate made of high-chromium stainless steel, because, as the Christmas song says:

There's no plate like chrome for the Hollandaise...

Report me to TPH if you must. But I am going to link this to the "Puns" thread...

My name is Yank and I approve of this pun.

Plus, I drink my daily coffee from a high-chromium stainless steel mug made in Canada.

I often make shortbread at christmas time - a tradition from my family. idk if I will get to it this year or not.

the main tradition of the last couple of decades is to host my in laws for 3-5 days, with a whole series of activities and excellent food and conversation, christmas eve late night services, more gifts than any 4 adults could possibly need, but enjoyed wholeheartedly nonetheless. And then celebrating their anniversary on boxing day.

This year, none of that will happen as they both died recently and I have no heart for any of my usual holiday things. Forgoing the tree and everything.

My dad always loved to have marzipan for christmas. In memory of him, I always love to have marzipan at chrsitmas too... usually a pig, though the fruit ones are fine in a pinch.

Happy Lucia, Iris! :)

Thank you!
Traditions were kind of upended because of an uptick in Covid cases.
In some cases it was filmed and links sent, my kid’s school cancelled and each class had Luciafika with their main teacher. Her teacher had kidnapped the school Lucia crown and wore it proudly while he served the fika. Not too often you see a Lucia with a full beard. :)

Thank you!
Traditions were kind of upended because of an uptick in Covid cases.
In some cases it was filmed and links sent, my kid’s school cancelled and each class had Luciafika with their main teacher. Her teacher had kidnapped the school Lucia crown and wore it proudly while he served the fika. Not too often you see a Lucia with a full beard. :)

Ha, that’s great.

In 2019 my boss organized a Luciatåg at work with the other bosses from the same part of the building where we work. He wore the crown but also a wig underneath it, so he had long blond braids, the crown and a beard. They sang the song too, first normally and then using various pizza names as the lyrics.

Ha, that’s great.

In 2019 my boss organized a Luciatåg at work with the other bosses from the same part of the building where we work. He wore the crown but also a wig underneath it, so he had long blond braids, the crown and a beard. They sang the song too, first normally and then using various pizza names as the lyrics.

This reminds me of the great tradition of being terribly upset that traditions aren’t traditional enough. Being horrified by ginger bread men or tomtenissar at Lucia is obviously a great hobby for a lot of people. Some years ago there was a commercial with a shorthaired kid as Lucia and the debate led to Zlatan Ibrahimovic as Lucia:
https://youtu.be/BMfMqcZRXKs

I figure if everyone enjoys it enough to do it twice, it's a tradition.

My wife put up her Christmas village. Ours normally has both a Dalek and a TARDIS. We can't find the TARDIS, but the Dalek arrived yesterday. So I am afraid that the Dalek will exterminate...at least the skating rink and the Egg Nog stand.

I will be making the Rum Cream (recipe above) this weekend. There is a shortage of liquor here. That is more concerning when you know that the Ontario LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) is the largest single buyer or Wine, Spirits and Beer in the world. I have been unable to buy my usual Appleton's or el Dorado rum. I think Captain Morgan will be at the Helm this Christmas.

Tradition…

For me I traditionally bake cookies. Not just chocolate chip, sugar, white chocolate chip, and pretzel, snickerdoodle, and oatmeal chocolate chip.

Then my husband delivers them to everyone.

I grew up with holiday foods from both Scottish and French Canadian traditions and have kept a few to the present. Most notably, we have tourtiere on Christmas Eve and plum pudding on Christmas day. I still hang up the stocking that my mother made when I was very young. My primary contribution to our holiday food is that I make the plum pudding. The Official House Baker, aka Mrs. Yank, bakes numerous kinds of cookies and makes a Buche de Noel for Christmas Eve. Apart from that,our traditions seem to be evolving with the family.

Back