How dumb are my readers?

Michelle, my belle. etc.

Strangely enough SexyChele, I always sing ‘Michelle, my belle,’ whatever a girl tells me her name is.
It is the only song I can remember that has a girl’s name in it. Unfortunately, if their name happens to be Belinda or Karen they are not usually that impressed and will often make a hasty exit, sometimes even before I’ve reached the chorus.
I think it goes to show that the Beatles are not as popular as some people would have us believe.
I also know the words of ‘Champion the Wonder Horse’ but I don’t meet that many horses.

Octavian

Last edited:
SlickTony said:
It could be worse. My name is the same as the female half of a duo who had one song out in the early 60s that I can remember, a very sappy song, and I got that sung at me more times than I care to think about.

Cher?

Tina?

I'm getting the distinct feeling that you all don't think much of the intelligence of your readers. After I saw the feedback MG got, I'm not sure I completely disagree, but I assure you, we're not all that looped.

;)

And TheEarl, due to your thread, I've changed my Title. Let me know when it's died down enough so I can change it back, hmmm? Thanks.

Readers

Cleo32 said:
I'm getting the distinct feeling that you all don't think much of the intelligence of your readers. After I saw the feedback MG got, I'm not sure I completely disagree, but I assure you, we're not all that looped.

The point I was trying to make is that all readers of MY STUFF are blithering idiots. They'd have to be. That doesn't mean that they don't have fangs, though.
MG

SlickTony said:
It could be worse. My name is the same as the female half of a duo who had one song out in the early 60s that I can remember, a very sappy song, and I got that sung at me more times than I care to think about.

Esther?

Gauche

TheEarl said:
I'm just editing a new story and part of the dialogue include the phrase "She'd been working on the River in Egypt so far, but now she had to take a step back and admit what she was doing" (paraphrase). Obviously River in Egypt = DeNile, but I'm not sure how widespread this phrase is.

Do I need to put an explanantion in the Author's Note ta the top or do you think my readers will get it? I don't want to patronise them, but equally I don't want to baffle them.

This from the man who has used recalcitrant and anachronism in his erotica :D.

The Earl

I think it might depend on the context. If it's obvious the present part of the story has nothing to do with Egypt, I'm sure most readers would trying to figure out what you're talking about. But... I must agree with some of the others. You might want to just call it denial and get on with the story. ;) It's a cute phrase, but does it fit the story?

SlickTony said:

Hey, hey Paula...?

Jayne

Jayne got it. The duo was Paul and Paula. That's Ok, MG; I know you weren't even a gleam in your mom and dad's eye when they had that song out.:)

SlickTony said:
Jayne got it. The duo was Paul and Paula. That's Ok, MG; I know you weren't even a gleam in your mom and dad's eye when they had that song out.:)

*Sigh* I guess this is one of those perks of being a really old broad. And Tony(I'll stick with what I know you as), my condolences. That is truly an horrendous song. That you didn't bitch slap anybody who sang it to you is a true testament of your kind and forgiving nature. ;)

Jayne

I've found that whenever someone starts singing the song that holds your name, they immediately stop and never repeat the offense if you join in the song, and sing all of it, in a loud and bad singing voice.

Back