How fast do you write?

Just did a measurement. I'm up to 110 words/minute when I'm only typing garbage. But when I write my stories, I actually write a phrase, of a line. Then I stop, rewrite and ponder the next linew for about a minute. Sometimes for about a week.

I'm slow. Slow as a snail on sleeping pills.

So I have taken the Douglas Adams approach to deadlines. Meaning I can't do do contract writing for shit anymore.

I type about 60-something wpm last time I checked. When I am writing an essay or something that requires constant fact checking, then I type maybe 50wpm. When typing on the top of my head it's a lot faster. I pretty much type in tune to my inner voice.
If we're talking how long it takes to type a story, then the answer is too long. Like many others here, I take my time and get stuck.

When it comes to longhand, I'm terrible at it nowadays. Been so used to typing. The only time I had to write longhand fast was during exams at Uni. Ugh.

Last edited:
Slowly... very slowly.

It's not a typing speed thing. I type fairly well for a person who is self taught and has fingers like a bunch of bananas. I start with one idea which during the course of a sentence manages to morph into something quite different to what I was originally thinking.

Because of this I find myself editing everything I write as I go. I must be the most disorganised writer in the history of the world. :D

Back