How much disbelief can you suspend?

Nonconsent is probably the toughest category for this issue, because to pass muster here at Lit the story has to pass the "victim enjoys it" test, and that's a challenge. I've been working on and off on a nonconsent story, and it's very challenging to do it in a way that satisfies my believability standard.
If you need someone to bounce ideas around with, you can send me a pm. I could give you some feedback from experience. That's what brought me to lit. I couldn't find anyone who could talk about the things I went through, even chatgpt was like yeah no, that's against the guidelines. I first started reading nonconsent/reluctance partly to feel like I wasn't alone.

Whenever someone says this about a novel, I always wonder how many breadcrumbs were dropped that the author didn't pick up later.
Of course there are many dropped if they do not serve the plot. Too many stories go straight from a to z without any nuance.

If you need someone to bounce ideas around with, you can send me a pm. I could give you some feedback from experience. That's what brought me to lit. I couldn't find anyone who could talk about the things I went through, even chatgpt was like yeah no, that's against the guidelines. I first started reading nonconsent/reluctance partly to feel like I wasn't alone.

Thanks for the offer! I'm not there quite yet, but when I am I may take you up on that offer.

This is an anonymous sex site. Wtf do you think is going on?
The endless plot of the Illuminati to make Kevin Hart more successful than Katt Williams, obviously. What else would be going on?

Katt Williams invented the question mark, accused chestnuts of being lazy and was the first human to run the two-minute mile. ILLUMINATI, my friends.

That's happens in my writing, too, and I suspect it's more or less universal, given the long list of examples here.

This is why I call it a cheat code. If you pick up the details, you are suddenly a genius writer with amazing foresight and masterful worldbuilding skills. If you abandon them without explanation, only literature/movie buffs will ever notice.
What Happened to the Mouse? It's common for directors to submit long cuts of movies, practically daring the studio to reduce the length (I think many know that is inevitable). During that process, loose ends may be left unresolved. Yet I've seen director's cuts that were indeed too long. The original version of Apocalypse Now has about one worthy scene, that of Mister Clean's (Laurence Fishburn) funeral when Chief buries him on land. (The presumption is that the nature of the mission does not allow for his body to be returned to to the U.S.)

Last edited:
I have always thought that "disbelief suspenders" (actual suspenders) would be a great give away at a movie house premier.

Back