I'm at it again!

Senna Jawa said:
You edit one letter twelve years later and you get a new file date :)

Regards,

I get a new computer every 6 months so When I transfer files it gives it a new date anyway..................... Se la Vi

I had some stories and poetry saved on an old word processor back in the early 90s. I then got a new one and found out that my disk didn't work with it. I no longer had the old processor, so now I have disks with stories and no way to read them. So printing it all out is looking rather appealing. :)

I get a new computer every 6 months so When I transfer files it gives it a new date anyway

I have never had that problem, and I have been upgrading since the first 64K IBM PC. (Actually since the Commodore 64, but that did require a new file creation when I transferred to a new operating system and word processor.)

Also remembe, the date accessed and the date modified are different.

Regards, Rybka

*searches through his file property's frantically*

Rybka said:

I have never had that problem, and I have been upgrading since the first 64K IBM PC. (Actually since the Commodore 64, but that did require a new file creation when I transferred to a new operating system and word processor.)

Also remembe, the date accessed and the date modified are different.

Regards, Rybka

I -- the feisty one -- deal daily with working files with several hundreds of MB and data loss can sometimes represent irrepairable damage or, at best, a hell of a lot of trouble for a couple of days. I've learned the hard way that CDs, even top quality compiled with the finest burners, won't always maintain uncorrupted data forever. I always back back-ups of the back-ups, at least every 3 months, just to be sure. And, whenever possible, using different supports (CDs, removable zip drives, memory cards, ...)

Dealing with text files shouldn't be much trouble, though. Changing software can be a hassle, but you can always recover the data. When upgrading the hardware, make sure at least one of your back-up formats will work. Keeping prints is always a good idea -- I find it so much more comfortable to read -- and with today's optical character recognition software, a good print is as good and workable as any word processor file.

What exactly is your problem Eve? Your new computer can't read the floppy disks you have or is it a software incompatibility thingy?

Update

daughter has been kind enough to offer a poetry collection to the winner of the End of Summer contest!

Hyndeline said:
What exactly is your problem Eve? Your new computer can't read the floppy disks you have or is it a software incompatibility thingy?
My floppy just won't work. It didn't work in my new word processor or my old computer or the new one. It can't read it. The disk is different looking... something from the 80's.

WickedEve said:

My floppy just won't work. It didn't work in my new word processor or my old computer or the new one. It can't read it. The disk is different looking... something from the 80's.
Ouch... one of those huge drive b: type of disks no-one has anymore, huh? That's why I said the thing to do is "whenever possible, using different [recording] supports (CDs, removable zip drives, memory cards, [prints, ]...)"

End of Summer Vacation

Summer may not be over, but summer vacation time is. Thank God!
Even this afternoon the traffic was lighter and the stores less crowded. Soon, like the leaves, the prices will begin to come down. Even the professionals are happy to see the "summer people" go.

My pharmacist told me this version of an old theme yesterday:

Four Northern New Englanders were driving in a car. The driver was from Maine next to him was a man from Vermont. In the back seat were a man from New Hampshire and a man from Massachusetts.

As the drove down the road, the driver rolled down his window and began tossing potatoes out of the car.

"What are you doing?" the man from Mass asked?

"We have more potatoes in Maine than we need." Replied the man from Maine.

They continued on their trip for awhile then the man from Vermont rolled down his window and threw out a gallon of maple syrup.

"We have more maple syrup in Vermont than we can use." said the Vermonter, forestalling the question from the back seat.

Down the road they drove for awhile, pondering in silence. Then the New Hampshire man reached across the Massachusetts man, opened his door and pushed him out onto the highway. :D

Regards, Rybka

september

september

a honey drop has left a path
    down the wall of a broken glass
    the Frisco soft-weathered day has
    drowned in the night too deep to dive

flip! if it's heads cut his head off
    if it's tails cut off his tail

i'v forgotten the looks of my lunch-time stolen car
    i'll have to steal another and still a nicer one

i went in dry
    now outside i'll let the big banging in my head
                                            subside
    and of dancing a reincarnation
    of the two violin paganini yes under the bar's dim
                                    watts
    i'v seen a van goghian girl shaking her two butts

the daytime bees and nighttime cops and sirens
    compete with the buzz in my head
    i'll save gasoline leave that bmw for you
    and jog
    around the nearest stumbling block
    to forget a
    nother Frisco Bay soft spoken day

wlodzimierz holsztynski ©
1990-09-12

Re: september

van goghian girl, thats fabulous SJ !

Senna Jawa said:

september

a honey drop has left a path
    down the wall of a broken glass
    the Frisco soft-weathered day has
    drowned in the night too deep to dive

flip! if it's heads cut his head off
    if it's tails cut off his tail

i'v forgotten the looks of my lunch-time stolen car
    i'll have to steal another and still a nicer one

i went in dry
    now outside i'll let the big banging in my head
                                            subside
    and of dancing a reincarnation
    of the two violin paganini yes under the bar's dim
                                    watts
    i'v seen a van goghian girl shaking her two butts

the daytime bees and nighttime cops and sirens
    compete with the buzz in my head
    i'll save gasoline leave that bmw for you
    and jog
    around the nearest stumbling block
    to forget a
    nother Frisco Bay soft spoken day

wlodzimierz holsztynski ©
1990-09-12

Re: Pretty Please, Come Play With Me!

Rybka said:
WickedEve, We are waiting on your stanza! :p

Any other contributors are welcome as well. :)

Regards, Rybka

Little Fishie..I wanted to play with you....but you did not wanna play with me. I guess angel fish are just too prima donna for you...

Wow I must be a real fossil.

I compose all my stuff on paper with a pencil. Date remains the same as when I "entered" it. Plus it is a long lived "format".:D

Heck some of the stuff I submited to Lit was from1984.

Re: Re: Seaside at Summer's End

Senna Jawa said:
Angeline, bravo!!!

Regards,
Angeline's poem is in a worthy company of a poem by Keiko Imaoka. Read one, read the other one. Enjoy.

thunderstorm

shorebirds

reclaim the beach

Keiko Imaoka

Regards,

merging computers and poetry

Hot4Heels said:
Wow I must be a real fossil.

I compose all my stuff on paper with a pencil. Date remains the same as when I "entered" it. Plus it is a long lived "format".:D

Heck some of the stuff I submited to Lit was from1984.
Yes, I enjoyed the look of my poems on computer screens in those years, starting in 1981, after I moved to Florida. Before that I didn't use computers in the poetry context because the connect time was still a precious commodity. Part of that was also how I felt at the company for which I worked at the time. Yes, I could use in Michigan my own TRS-80, but the screen was too ugly for poetry. At the time it didn't even occur to me (only now, but it is over twenty years too late :).

In 1983/4 and later, I was doing things under DOS, and using BASIC, which made reading a collection of poems a pleasant experience, perhaps nicer than it is today under windows, except for today's exceptionally nice pages, with sensible, tasteful and beautiful graphics. Each poem line was a part of a BASIC print statement, which gave me complete flexibility (within the hardware constrains). The entire collection was typed into a program, one per collection. I used also a decentralized approach, where each poem resided in its own file. Then a hot key or something easy like this would clear the screen and display a poem selected by a pseudorandom number generator.

Regards,

Back