Is omniscient genderless?

"The Princess Bride" by William Goldman is an example that springs to mind, shoehorned easily into the fairy-tale mode mentioned earlier. Although written in TPO (for the most part), it's understood from the beginning that the supposed omnipotence is filtered by gender (and age, for that matter).

However, this is more of a contrivance than anything else, as Goldman sort of turns it on its ear throughout the story, but that very contrivance is what makes it fun to read.

Other than being used as a gimmick (like the "asides" directly from the author that you sometimes encounter), I can't see the gender or age or any other "physical" characteristics of the TPO storyteller making a difference in the telling of the story -- which is, after all, the only way for The Reader to discern it.

--Zack

P.S. Interesting sideline about the "Blade Runner" narration -- Ford and Ridley Scott were both dead-set against the narration, but the studio insisted, claiming that no one would understand the damn thing otherwise. Ford purposefully narrated it in a dry monotone, hoping that the narration wouldn't work and it would be rejected, but the studio went with it anyway. I like both versions, but the narration definitely changes the focus of the story.

Last edited:
Had long post posted. Gave up halfway through.

Head hurts.

My vote is still that no, a TPO 'narrator' is genderless, but I don't think I can think about the issue any more. Owie.

Back