Is there a story of yours close to an H that doesn’t have one?

I'll throw my two pennies' worth in.

I've released three stories recently, 2 are the same story, but one is heavy in German dialogue. For some reason, they've struck a chord, and are doing well, both currently with a red "H" and sitting well placed in the LW section looking at a rolling 30 days of scoring although a few commentators feel they should have sat in the Romance section.

My third story "Ghost on the Wall" didn't make the grade if you view that a red "H" would signify that. THe interesting piece is the stats that sit behind it all. "Ghost" picked up the single biggest run of new followers from all of my works, generated the most feedback and the highest number of readers adding it to their favourites.

At the moment, the red "H"s don't seem to have done anything to significantly boost my readership, now they are about to lose the "New" tag, it will be interesting to see how it evolves in terms of numbers. If it's looking at establishing a decent reader base you're chasing my thoughts are try to keep up a steady stream of works released in your chosen genre(s).

Because I write in LW, I certainly have a few stories in the pipeline that'll see me attacked by the haters. It will definitely lead to a widespread 1-bombing run across my works but, do you know what? I write because I enjoy writing. In fact that's a lie. I live to write, use my grey matter to push my imagination, writing skills hoping that at least one person gains some satisfaction from my work.

To that end, a red "H" is certainly nice, but I'd rather see a single comment that says my work has touched someone's soul :)

Last edited:
Sheafs is like 2 votes off an H... dunno why this story has had so little uptake compared to the others. If anyone fancies reading and rating I'd appreciate it :)

What causes a story to get an H? Is it a certain amount of votes within a window of time, or do they have to be a high enough rating?

It's easy to say "Don't chase the 'H'", but it's a plain fact that if admin puts a marker out there, writers will want it.
Also, since another purpose of this thread is to get more readers of one's work on a site as packed with content as Lit,
here's my entry.
Let Them All Look (E/V) is hovering at 4.49 with 82 ratings. I think it's one of my better stories (I mean, it has a plot and everything!)
but lags behind some of my other, I think lesser, efforts. I calculate that two '5's should put it right at 4.5. Have a look if you care, and thanks!

It's easy to say "Don't chase the 'H'", but it's a plain fact that if admin puts a marker out there, writers will want it.
Also, since another purpose of this thread is to get more readers of one's work on a site as packed with content as Lit,
here's my entry.
Let Them All Look (E/V) is hovering at 4.49 with 82 ratings. I think it's one of my better stories (I mean, it has a plot and everything!)
but lags behind some of my other, I think lesser, efforts. I calculate that two '5's should put it right at 4.5. Have a look if you care, and thanks!
Okay, it met my requirements for a Red H, so hopefully with my 5, it will get pushed over the top. I've been in your situation and still remain on several of mine for years. At one time, a few of them were red H's, then drifted down substantially, and now have drifted back within shouting distance. It doesn't bother me any longer.

Back