• India

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Australia

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • well-boiled meats

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • those adorable accents

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Mrs. H. Covington of West Burlywood, Hampshire, whose collection of taxidermied budgies is a contend

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Re: A Fish Called Wanda

Bi Brit said:
I voted for boiled meat, but would have chosen a"self-depreciating" sense of humour if it had been available. I first saw "A fish called Wanda" in a Washington cinema (DC not CD (County Durham)).

The theatre (see I am bilingual) was packed. Everyone was American other than a friend and myself. It all started off very well, there were a few general jokes and then a few jokes about the Brits, and we all laughed.

There followed some jokes about Americans. You could only hear two people laughing then. A sea of faces kept turning in our direction and they weren't smiley happy faces.

I am very proud that we are one of the few nations that can laugh at ourselves. After last year's Rugby, even jokes by Aussies about our sporting prowess are bearable.

Americans DO have problems with that.;)

Re: Re: A Fish Called Wanda

Svenskaflicka said:
Americans DO have problems with that.;)
It's so true, I even see it here on the AH often. I love people who can laugh at themselves, do it often myself ;) .

Perdita

Re: A Fish Called Wanda

Bi Brit said:
I am very proud that we are one of the few nations that can laugh at ourselves.

We're ashamed of ourselves. About sex and pretty much everything else.

Shame is our heritage, though, and we're proud of it.

Shereads,

Fair point about the British being ashamed of sex and sexuality. As a nation we are pretty repressed about expressing ourselves sexually. All stiff upper lip and no stiffies in your pants. All innuendo and no action.

Mind you that has helped to give rise to the classic Britsh farces. Against my better judgement, I can't resist going to the theatre to see a farce or staying in to watch an old Carry On film on TV.

Hmmmmmm

Bi Brit said:
Shereads,

Fair point about the British being ashamed of sex and sexuality. As a nation we are pretty repressed about expressing ourselves sexually. All stiff upper lip and no stiffies in your pants. All innuendo and no action.

Mind you that has helped to give rise to the classic Britsh farces. Against my better judgement, I can't resist going to the theatre to see a farce or staying in to watch an old Carry On film on TV.

Welcome to the madhouse Bi:D But you speak for yourself I often get a stiffie, and I'm not ashamed to either admit it or show it:devil: :D

As some here may tell you a few of we English aren't overly fearful of expressing ourselves sexually in public. Fancy a fuck Purdy darling;) :rose:

You will also find that British TV shows more erotic and uncensored stuff than a lot of countries would tolerate on the screen in the living room.

What we do over here is try to fool the rest of the world that we're all straight laced and stiff upper bits, when in fact we're a bunch of depraved bastards, mainly stiff down below. Apart from the girls of course, who are invariably wet down below with stiff nipples up top.

I do a damn good impersonation of Elvis by the way, and I love boiled beef.

Bi Brit said:
Shereads,

I meant Americans when I said "shame is our heritage," but it's nice to know we aren't the only ones.

Puritans and all...You've heard of them? Run out of Europe because everytime anybody turned their stereo up, the Puritans called the cops? My ancestors.

Back