More disappointment

MathGirl said:
Dear Gauchie,
Wasn't that the movie in which she was in some sort of garage place on a space station with the door open? Had only a few seconds of breath holding to get back inside?
MG
Ps. That wouldn't work, even if you closed your eyes really, really thight, held your nose, and kept your fingers crossed.

I think you missed the point Maths. It would work. And I defy you to prove otherwise. Just breath out instead of in before evac.

Gauche

gauchecritic said:
I think you missed the point Maths. It would work. And I defy you to prove otherwise. Just breath out instead of in before evac.
Dear Gauchie,
I think the eyeballs exploding and blood boiling would probably present a problem.
Ps. I once rented a low budget SF movie with Vince Edwards. The space ship, station, whatever was invaded by alien beings. In one scene, a ball of fuzz that was obviously being jerked by a thread scurried along the floor and disappeared behind what looked like a washing machine with lots of lights and gauges. Edwards exclaimed, "Oh, God. That was a space herpe." I was so embarrassed for him that I couldn't watch any more.
Pps. I also think a person would turn to a frozen block rather quickly in space, wearing a tee shirt and slacks. I read somewhere that it's sort of chilly out there.

Last edited:
MathGirl said:
Dear Gauchie,
I think the eyeballs exploding and blood boiling would probably present a problem.

Oh yes, I forgot about that. And suffocating if you travel above 25 miles per hour because your lungs are physically incapable of breathing any more. Silly me.

Gauche

Gauche, the thing about Total Recall, though ... you do realize that none of what happened after he sat down in the chair was real? It was all an implanted memory?

"Blue Skies on Mars" was the name of the disc the doctor slipped into the machine.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say... I quite liked Revolutions. Okay, okay, so it wasn't superb, but it fitted, it answered all of the questions and it could have been so much worse.

The only question is - When Trinity's shot once in Reloaded, she takes all of 15 seconds to die, yet when she's stabbed through the chest and stomach 5 times by huge metal rods in Revolutions she has the time to compose a solilique and bore me for 2-3 minutes with it.

The Earl

gauchecritic said:
Oh yes, I forgot about that. And suffocating if you travel above 25 miles per hour because your lungs are physically incapable of breathing any more. Silly me.
Dear Gauchie,
Yep. Well known fact. Especially amongst them Norwegian Blues.
MG
Ps. I guess a space herpe can survive under those conditions.

MathGirl said:
Dear Gauchie,
Wasn't that the movie in which she was in some sort of garage place on a space station with the door open? Had only a few seconds of breath holding to get back inside?
MG
Ps. That wouldn't work, even if you closed your eyes really, really thight, held your nose, and kept your fingers crossed.

I still remember an Arthur C. Clarke story from a collection called
"The Other Side of the Sky" where a bunch of guys in a space station had to make a transfer from their crippled station into a rescue ship without any sort of protection. They were exposed to the vacuum of space for a matter of seconds, and they made it. I've always respected Clarke's scientific judgment, so I don't know if it's possible or not.

And didn't that guy have to do a naked transfer to get back into the space ship in "2001" after HAL locked him out? Of course, that's Clarke too.

Our internal body pressure must be the same as atmospheric, which is 14.7 lbs/sq inch, which isn't that much, so I think we could stand the vacuum for a few seconds without exploding. The problem divers and high altitude pilots have with blood gases coming out of solution wouldn't be an issue as long as you held your breath, so, as long as we could stand the cold, I think maybe you could make it without turning into a piece of beef jerky.

---dr.M.

There's a scene in Event Horizon, where someone survives for a few moments in the vacuum of space... Of course, Event Horizon isn't necessarily the most scientifically accurate of sci-fi movies anyway..

That said, I'm all for suspension of disbelief, if it makes the movie look cool.

Seattle Zack said:

The unexplained "gravitational machine" that lets everyone in zero-g deep space wander around the ship like they're at a picnic.

Just letting you know, they use electrocryobaric bearings in the base of the ship for artificial gravity.

MathGirl said:
Dear Gauchie,
MG

Star Trek: Next Generations... of all the episodes that I barely remember, that one episode where they had to get rid of a lot of waste and so they opened a garage and got rid of it, while they hanged on for dear life. That was funny, but the funnier part of that episode was when Picard had to climb up that massive ladder with these two kids. I have no clue to why that is funny.

gauchecritic said:
Star Wars. I thoroughly enjoyed all of them except the latest. (Quite apart from a democratically elected monarch, and their kids retaining the title of princess)

I'm pretty sure that Lucas didn't let anyone take light years to get anywhere, because everbody knows a light year is a unit of distance. So he lets Solo 'make the Kesler run in 3 parsecs instead'.

Try as I might I can't find anything that annoys me in the original 'Alien'

I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

Gauche

Sigourney never lost her panties.....That annoyed the shit out of me....:D

MathGirl said:
... I once rented a low budget SF movie with Vince Edwards... In one scene, a ball of fuzz that was obviously being jerked by a thread scurried along the floor ... Edwards exclaimed, "Oh, God. That was a space herpe." I was so embarrassed for him ...

I didn't see the Vince Edwards, sci-fi movie, that Math has been mentioning, but he WAS in one space opera:

Space Raiders (1983) directed by Howard R. Cohen

Edwards is the only recognizable name in the flick, and by that time, his star wasn't burning all that bright either.

I will take Math's word for it about the "space herpes" although the people at IMDb.com are much too refined to mention it.

Choosing one line from their (Memorable Quotes)

Peter: These aren't real onions, are they? They're some kind of alien yucko onions. Wonder if this is real cheese?

With dialogue like that, can space herpes be far behind?

The film which I do know employed "space herpes" was:

The Ice Pirates (1984) directed by Stewart Raffill

Starring : Robert Urich, Mary Crosby, Michael D. Roberts, Anjelica Huston, John Matuszak, Ron Perlman, and John Carradine.

Again, IMDb.com is closed lipped about "space herpes," but this film I actually saw. Not a total dud, if you are hard up for a laugh. But it's no "Space Balls!"

On the other hand, how many sci-fi movies can boast that they feature both Percy the Robot and Bruce Vilanch!

Only in passing, I mention that a comment was made in "Howard the Duck" (1986) about "space rabies!"

No comment.

Back