Most common Literotica titles.

Good one. Not even sure how to count them at this point. Searching for 'teacher pet' gives me 242 results, my favourite being 'Gillian Anderson: Teacher's Pet' but I'm not sure, does Pet Teacher count? Becoming the Teacher's Pet? Teacher is the Pet? Regardless, I think this is the new number one.
I looked at the most recent story with that title and it had -117 at the end of the URL.

That means that stories titled "Teacher's Pet" have been used 117 times, since the system appends a number for new identical titles.

"Teacher's Pet Ch 01" would be a different title.

Well there was a thread a few months back that claimed that the ideal had to be 34C so I'd go with that.

Oh, titles - sorry.

Literotica uses the story name as the URL of the story, sometimes modifying it for special characters. The first time a title gets reused, Literotica puts a "-1" on the end of the URL. The next time it gets reused, Literotica puts a "-2" on the end. Etc.

The latest story to use "Happy" as its title has "-422" at the end of its URL.

I discovered an oddity about Literotica's number. If you put a number in your title like "Happy 420!", that will set the counter for "Happy" to 420.

"My First Time" is on 323. I don't see any stories that would advance the title counter for it.

"A Night to Remember" is on 229.

Last edited:
I've never considered checking my own titles before, but using the -1 numbering system I have five that have been used before out of 62 stories, so quite pleased I am keeping most of them unique.

However the results are a bit confusing.

1 x 1 "Join the Dots" is the only story with that title
2 x 2 "Transformers" is the only story with that name as is "The Third Time.
1 x 3 "Dazed and Confused" There are 3 stories with that name
1 x 5 "I Own You" which in my case is called "I... Own... You..." so 8letters is correct that special characters look like they get removed. There are only 3 other stories with that title.

Maybe previously deleted stories are counted?

Last edited:
I double checked for stories titled "The Storm." It turns out I didn't count them very well in my previous post. There are actually 53 distinct stories with that exact title and with "the-storm-#" in the url. The earliest one (from 09/01/2000) is "the-storm-6" and the most recent one (from 04/13/2023) is "the-storm-90." Not all the url numbers are being used. For example, if you try to go to "the-storm-1" you get "Error 404 This work is not available." So perhaps some stories have been removed, or perhaps there were hiccups when some of the numbers were first assigned.

What I find surprising is that nobody has used "G marks the spot" as a title, and only one I can see as a sub header (yes, I was thinking of pirate maps...).

I've never considered checking my own titles before, but using the -1 numbering system I have five that have been used before out of 62 stories, so quite pleased I am keeping most of them unique.

However the results are a bit confusing.

1 x 1 "Join the Dots" is the only story with that title
2 x 2 "Transformers" is the only story with that name as is "The Third Time.
1 x 3 "Dazed and Confused" There are 3 stories with that name
1 x 5 "I Own You" which in my case is called "I... Own... You..." so 8letters is correct that special characters look like they get removed. There are only 3 other stories with that title.

Maybe previously deleted stories are counted?
Previously deleted stories are counted. All of my stories had unique titles when they were originally published. I had them all taken down, and now I am republishing them. The republished stories have a "-1" in their URL.

The URL uniquely identifies the story in the Literotica database. You can change the name of the story, but its URL will remain the same. My guess is that the Literotica database doesn't delete a story when it is taken down. Instead, a flag is set to say that it is no longer available.

As I gather statistics on stories that have been published, I find it surprising the number of stories that have been pulled. Since 8/30/23, 2.2% of stories have been pulled by the 28th day after they were published. I assume that percentage will rise as you check later and later in the story's life.

"Teacher's Pet" has at least 117 submissions, not counting variations on the title.
Makes me want to write a story called "Pet Teachers". I'm always looking for a trope to subvert.

Edit: I see these above:
"My First Time" is on 323. I don't see any stories that would advance the title counter for it.

"A Night to Remember" is on 229.
My Last Time
A Night to Forget

Ahh, crap, there goes my ideas folder blowing up again.

Last edited:
Have people run out of Beatles and Eagles song titles yet? Maybe someone should try King Crimson next.

If you want a less used title, one of the easiest ways is to drop "A" and "The" from whatever popped into your head. Most folks tend toward titles prefaced with those two words.

A repeated title isn't all that bad really. Even less so when the title is in a different category. When it's the right title, it's the right title.

Have people run out of Beatles and Eagles song titles yet? Maybe someone should try King Crimson next.
Not quite the full King Crimson but I did name a six part series 'Goodbye to the Past' after a track on drummer Bill Bruford's first solo album co-written with the amazing Annette Peacock.

Larks Tongues in Aspic would be a challenge...

I looked at the most recent story with that title and it had -117 at the end of the URL.

That means that stories titled "Teacher's Pet" have been used 117 times, since the system appends a number for new identical titles.

"Teacher's Pet Ch 01" would be a different title.
Teacher's Pet has been used constantly in movies and TV shows. I think these links will work. 1930, 1958, and 2004.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021456/mediaviewer/rm1341804032/?ref_=tt_ov_i

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052278/mediaviewer/rm4090498816/?ref_=tt_ov_i

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0350194/mediaviewer/rm3326906369/?ref_=tt_ov_i

And that's only a sample.

I just try not to duplicate my own titles (and Literotica would let me know if I were trying to do that). You can't copyright titles, so if I have one that fits my story well, I don't care if others have previously used it.

Paradise Found was the working title for my latest and when I looked it up there were quite a few stories using some variation of that. I changed the title.

I have a story called The Countesses of Tannensdal. Not only is it unique here, but if I search for "Tannensdal" I get no hits anywhere on the internet.

That's presumably why almost no-one has read it.
That's a problem. If you are too "original," no one will know what the story is about. Emily Dickinson solved the issue by not having a title on her poems, but she also didn't publish most of them in her lifetime. They are usually identified by their first line, but some of them have quite an impact. "My Life Has Stood, A Loaded Gun."

special characters look like they get removed

They do, and are replaced with '-' to build the URL.

drop "A" and "The" from whatever popped into your head

Yeah, I learned that lesson recently. However...

Back in olden times when I was working for a Yellow Pages publisher, if you wanted to be first in the phone book or at least near the top of the first column on the first page, even if your company name was "Steve Smith Reliable Plumbing", you'd buy a second listing to the effect of "AAAAA Aardvark Smith's Plumbing" or something like that.

So... anybody care to publish "AAAAA Aaron aand Aannie's Aawesome Aadventures"?

🤣

They do, and are replaced with '-' to build the URL.

Yeah, I learned that lesson recently. However...

Back in olden times when I was working for a Yellow Pages publisher, if you wanted to be first in the phone book or at least near the top of the first column on the first page, even if your company name was "Steve Smith Reliable Plumbing", you'd buy a second listing to the effect of "AAAAA Aardvark Smith's Plumbing" or something like that.

So... anybody care to publish "AAAAA Aaron aand Aannie's Aawesome Aadventures"?

🤣
There was an even better trick. Quotation marks put you right at the top of the list. One particular person took advantage of that to the point that the lists — which used to default to page 1 of the alphabetized list — were randomized.

I looked to see how common 'Turkish Delight' was as a title when writing about (guess what?) a particularly satisfying holiday in Istanbul. Didn't come up. Turns out it's the 11th story of that name, just the others weren't in GM.

I was surprised no-one else had written 'Steak and a Blow Job Day', though.

I'd assumed A and The were ignored when alphabetising stories. I wrote 'Accredited Sadist' partly because I liked the idea of the title being at the top of my list and got inspired. Then a few weeks later I was surprised to see it displaced by 'A Tale of Two Christmases'.

Which isn't a bad story, but it's a long read, and not a good intro to my stuff.

I tend to run a lot of my titles through the Lit search engine to see if they've been used before. Sometimes I'm amazed by what titles haven't been used. (No one has ever written something here called 'A Cuck and Bull Story' Really? Although 'A Cock and Bull Story' has been claimed) Othertimes, I find my titles aren't as original as I thought. I was tossing around ideas for a Loving Wives story where the father of the husband discovers the wife is cheating and decides to deal with the situation himself. I didn't love 'Father knows best' as a title, but I thought I'd see if it had been used. Sure enough 4 times. Then just out of interest, I tried 'Mother knows best'

By my counting there have been at least 26 separate stories with some variation of Mother knows best as the title (including Mom knows best, Mother still knows best, but not Mother in Law knows Best) and only including multi-part stories once.

So, I throw down the gauntlet. Can you find a title which has been used more often? And even if you can't, throw in some titles that have been well-used over the years.
I'll take "A cuck and bull story" and raise you "Cuck and bull torture".

Never mind, I'll do it myself.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Ties that Bind. There's gotta be a whole lotta writers thinking that they're being clever and subtle with that one. : P

Back