Newbie's questions

cahab said:
A few questions from a new author (Well, new to here anyway):
cahab said:
First off, cahab, welcome to Lit. Enjoy your stay on this incredible site, and we look forward to your participation.

1) How seriously does everyone take writing for literotica?
It's a second (or third) hobby of mine that naturally encourages me to improve as time goes by. There are useful feedback loops here on Lit that help this process along: directly available at the Story Site, or through indirect means using other channels, like e-mails and PM’s, or through the popular Story Feedback and Story Discussion Circle Boards. I enjoy them all because they provide a way for an author to receive constructive feedback (if you can appreciate what is constructive vs. destructive) which I use to gauge what readers like and dislike. This doesn’t mean I try to make everyone happy, which is impossible, but it is a confirmation for me to know there are other people out there in Litland that enjoy the same things I enjoy. So what I do is for those readers (that niche of "fans") that find a small measure of enjoyment in the drivel I write. Besides, for me, it's certainly not hard work—it is, instead, intense play.

2) Do you write because it turns you on, or because you like to impress the world with your talent? Or is there some other reason? I know technically that's three questions in one, but I'm sure you can cope.
Other. I find that I don't write as much for me as I do for those that encourage me to do so. Still, I tend to write in genres (which is most of them) I enjoy reading myself.

3) Does having written for the site mean you're less inclined to get turned on by other stories?
Less inclined? The opposite for me. Discovering other authors and the incredible range of talent we have concentrated here on Lit, professional and amateur alike, has always been impressive to me.

4) How much drafting do you do, if any?
I do very little drafting because I have found that 50% - 75% of the work I actually put into a story is editing. That’s not to say that drafting is a good habit to get into, and I encourage it.

5) How much do you believe the author profiles, if at all?
I take them for what they are worth on a website that offers a wonderful venue of fun for adults. (My profile is fairly accurate. ~weg~ )

No particular gripes, I'm just intrigued. :rolleyes:
(Wow. Griping here on Lit? What an interesting concept. ;) )

A chance to talk about one of my favorite subjects

1) How seriously does everyone take writing for literotica?

I'm not sure about everyone because I haven't finished my survey yet. I take it about 40% seriously and 65% capriciously, but obviously there's a pretty significant margin for error there.

2) Do you write because it turns you on, or because you like to impress the world with your talent? Or is there some other reason?

I write to impress myself. I like to stroke my ego, and sometimes I stroke it so hard, so long, and so rapturously that I scream.

3) Does having written for the site mean you're less inclined to get turned on by other stories?

No. Since I really only get turned on by well-written stories, having posted stories myself has actually brought me into contact with or made me aware of other writers who really know their smut.

4) How much drafting do you do, if any?

That's too personal.

5) How much do you believe the author profiles, if at all?

I never really thought about it. Most profiles that I've seen are either humorous or sprinkled with fetishes and other sexual interests. Since I don't have anything invested in believing or disbelieving these things, it doesn't matter much to me either way. I'm more interested in a writer's voice and style than in her biography, anyway.

No particular gripes, I'm just intrigued. :rolleyes:

Now, were you rolling your eyes because you really aren't intrigued, or because you have a nervous disorder?

;)

Warm and fuzzy as always,
sarah

p.s. Welcome to Lit.

Back