Ode to a Right Handed Pitcher

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Series, schmeries

pop_54 said:
So's a 357 Magnum luv, hehe!!:D slightly better range as well;)
Dear Pop,
You're right, of course. To an empty-handed person, though, a Louisville Slugger is intimidating.
MG

dangerous sports...

Anyone who thinks baseball isn't dangerous has never been hit in the ribs so hard with a fastball that the bruise includes the stitches...( I admit that I somewhat deserved it for playing the "stand and admire my shot" game the night before. )
That being said I have nothing but admiration for rugby players. It and Lacrosse have always seemed rather brutal.
As to american football, remember the role of "mass" in physics.

Re: Re: dangerous sports...

MathGirl said:
Dear Bel,
Why? The sport seems rather suicidal to me.
MG

I guess intense physical experiences just appeal to me in general...

Re: Re: Re: dangerous sports...

Belegon said:
I guess intense physical experiences just appeal to me in general...
Dear Bel,
Well, to each his own. I like intense physical experiences, too, but compound fractures just aren't my thing.
MG

Re: Re: Re: Re: dangerous sports...

MathGirl said:
Dear Bel,
Well, to each his own. I like intense physical experiences, too, but compound fractures just aren't my thing.
MG

But pain is such a rush...:D

At this point in the thread the Marlins lead the Yankees 3 games to 2 games.

Big, fat, hairy deal.

Vincent E said:
At this point in the thread the Marlins lead the Yankees 3 games to 2 games.

Big, fat, hairy deal.

Vincent, good to see you reappear and know that you have not resorted to Hari Kari or self immolation.

I had occasion earlier this week to travel to that lovely town that is home to Fenway Park. Listening to a sports talk show hosted by Mike Barnacle made me think that I had stumbled upon the saddest group of Sad Sacks that life has ever created. To hear how The Team had 'broken their hearts' and ruined their children's lives gave me a new understanding of the passion that is part of Red Sox lore.

It seemed to me that the heritage of Hardy and Thomas and all the other authors of Irish Melancholy had found their way into the souls of these poor fans. My son who was with me gained a new appreciation for the darkness of thought that springs from the pen of these authors he is currently studying.

I wish you better fortune next year. At least, until you play the Cubs :)

Mike Barnicle is to sports talk what Walt Disney is to horror films. It is too bad you didn't tune in to the real sports station in town; it was all Grady all the time.

As for Barnicle, he is a hack of the highest order who lost his column at the Boston Globe for fabricating stories. I do not think any author on this board would have any respect for that.

Congradulations to the Marlins who have now won more World Series in the last six years than Boston, Chicago, and the other Chicago have in the last eighty.

Vincent E said:
Congradulations to the Marlins who have now won more World Series in the last six years than Boston, Chicago, and the other Chicago have in the last eighty.
Dear VE,
And two more than the SF Giants in their entire history.
MG
Ps. Is there such a thing as good sports talk radio? I don't think I've ever heard one. I listen to a SF station during the baseball season, but now all they want to talk about is football.
Pps. The only things I care about in sports until April is who gets the MVP and Cy Young awards. It's gonna be a LONG winter.

Last edited:
And with a payroll half that of the Mariners, or Giants, or Sox ... and a full 100+ million less than the Yankees.

Gonzalez should have been series MVP, though. Pitchers ... well, they're pitchers.

--Zack

The Boston Red Sox, still smarting from a bitter seven-game loss to the rival Yankees in the ALCS, fired manager Grady Little on Monday, a high-ranking team official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

ESPN's Peter Gammons, who reported earlier Monday that Little would be fired Monday, reports that the team will formally announce the move at a 3 p.m. ET news conference at Fenway Park.

Monday's Boston Herald, citing a Red Sox source, reported that two candidates to succeed Little could be former Indians manager Charlie Manuel and former Red Sox second baseman Jerry Remy, a television analyst for NESN, a regional sports network partly owned by the Red Sox.

According to the report, others on the Red Sox list are Yankees third-base coach Willie Randolph, Yankees first-base coach Lee Mazzilli, Dodgers third-base coach Glenn Hoffman and former Phillies skipper Terry Francona, now the A's bench coach.

MathGirl said:
The only things I care about in sports until April is who gets the MVP and Cy Young awards. It's gonna be a LONG winter.

"It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone."
--A Bartlett Giamatti

(Former Commissioner of Baseball, best remembered as the Commissioner who banned Pete Rose from the National Baseball Hall of Fame.)

Seattle Zack said:
--A Bartlett Giamatti
(Former Commissioner of Baseball, best remembered as the Commissioner who banned Pete Rose from the National Baseball Hall of Fame.)
Dear Z,
And, of course, is famed for his familiar quotations.
MG

MathGirl said:
Is there such a thing as good sports talk radio? I don't think I've ever heard one. I listen to a SF station during the baseball season, but now all they want to talk about is football.
What, no Golden State Warriors talk? No mention of the San Jose Sharks? What use is there in expanding leagues and moving teams if California talk radio is going to fall mute?

Zack, all those media outlets were right, but then again the Grady Little firing was covered two days in advance by the weekly supermarket circulars. Actually he was not fired, they refused to pick up his contract for next year, and he has been in North Carolina since last week waiting the "decision."

Little could have minimized the damage to his reputation, though not preserved his job, if he had addressed the media properly after the ALCS. However, coming out and saying that he would make the same moves if he had it to do all over again is stupid. Just plain stupid. Then stating that he would "haunt" the Red Sox organization if they let him go is another testament to idiocy.

How can I ever feel any sympathy for this redneck goober if he just keeps putting his foot in his mouth?

Back