Pagan Festival or Religious Conformance?

Wills said:
Happy 'Fat Tuesday' Perdita, have yourself a really great time. Liked your note about Ash Wednesday, anyone know where it comes from?

In the UK it is a day when the Queen turns up at one Cathederal or another and distributes 'money to the poor' - its a bit like monopoly money - you can't spend it.

Happy Pancake Day Lou. I see Billy got Willy's.

Will's :kiss: :kiss:

Thanks, Wills! Sorry for the late reply, I've only just seen your post. Must be all those trees getting in the way. :rolleyes:

LOL! Billy got Willy's. Yes he has, as a matter of fact, and I won't tell you what he does with it. :eek: Hehehe!

Wish I could send you one in the post - a pancake that is.

Perdita has given you a very good explanation for Ash Wednesday. That's why we have Shrove Tuesday (the proper name for Pancake Day), to use up all the eggs, fat, flour and milk, before the 40 days of fasting begin. Am I gonna stick to it? Yeah, right!

Happy Carnival, Wills.

Lou :heart:

Lou, I wondered why your fat Tues. became pancake day; thought it was rather meagre compared to carnivale in more Latin climes.

When I was a girl I feared two things especially about becoming an adult: paying full fare for movie tickets, and fasting during Lent.

I do pay full fare, but in a couple years I get the senior discount! No fasting though, haha.

Perdita

OnD
I wrote a piece on 'Travels' thread about Portugal, the Pope and Fish, it has moved to pg 2 now. Best of luck with the dentistry, at least you don't have to chew fish :)

Ogg'b
Thanks for reminding me - Maundy Money - for the life of me I couldn't remember the name.

Will's

Pancake Frenzy

Mmmm.... *rubs extremely full belly*

Have just consumed many pancakes (untraditionally with plum conserve and ice-cream *yum*) and am now chilling for first time today. *sigh*

Although, on reflection, would still rather be somewhere warm with a carnival going on around me. "Gimme those fireworks!"

*dances sinuously*

Can't wait for the piccies, Wills.

xx.Sadie

oggbashan said:
... Nothing is as certain as death and taxes...
I beg to differ on two counts.
First: There are more homo sapiens alive at this moment than have ever died, and the proportion who have died is dropping. Therefore any randomly selected person has a less than 50% chance of having died, so what can be certain about a less than 50% chance?
Second: What about Windows® crashes?

snooper said:
I beg to differ on two counts.
First: There are more homo sapiens alive at this moment than have ever died,

Eh?

You're telling me in X thousand years of recorded history, less than 6 billion people have died?

Great photos, Wills!

Good job it didn't rain, that guy's brolly looked a bit dodgy. I loved the little pink princess in the crowd.

So many vibrant colours! My grey English eyes found them tough going. ;)

Oh, and I noticed you got in a nice cleavage shot. ;)

Lou :kiss:

Lou

Did you spot the man in the ankle length black dress?

Will's

Wills said:
Lou

Did you spot the man in the ankle length black dress?

Will's

Just been back and had a look. I thought it was a woman first time around! :D

Tell me that isn't you. :eek: Nice figure, though. ;)

Lou

Thank you, Wills, they were wonder-full. Ah, I miss Venice.

Perdita :heart:

Chloe and Georgina pass on their thanks, too. They thoroughly enjoyed looking through them with me again. They asked if they can go next year. ;)

Lou

Perdita,

Never visited the Venice Carnival, let us hope that it is a treat to come. We usually visit at Biennial for obvious reasons. :kiss:

Lou,

It really is for the kids, even the tiny ones are dressed up, yours would love it, though it was very cold despite the sunshine. We have actually had people stuck overnight in the snow here, though that is some way from where I am.

Kisses for the kids, if we don't sell the apartments we might even have places to let next year!

Will's

Wills said:
OnD
I wrote a piece on 'Travels' thread about Portugal, the Pope and Fish, it has moved to pg 2 now. Best of luck with the dentistry, at least you don't have to chew fish :)

Ogg'b
Thanks for reminding me - Maundy Money - for the life of me I couldn't remember the name.

Will's

Sadly there are some vacant spaces that I did not want pieces trapped within. Moving off the jello and soup today.

My Catholic wife got all confused when she thought we celebrated Monday Tuesday :)

Wills said:

Lou,

It really is for the kids, even the tiny ones are dressed up, yours would love it, though it was very cold despite the sunshine. We have actually had people stuck overnight in the snow here, though that is some way from where I am.

Kisses for the kids, if we don't sell the apartments we might even have places to let next year!

Will's

Awww, thanks Wills. They've been playing 'Carnivals' since they saw the pics. Dancing around in Hoola-girl outfits, of all things!

Let me know by Christmas, and I'll book the flights. :D

Lou :kiss:

Back