mussels cluster blue as grapes:
his beak brings the harvest in.

The watercolorist grips
his brush in the stringent air.
The horizon's bare of ships,

the beach and the rocks are bare.
He paints a blizzard of gulls,
wings drumming in the winter.

It is formed nicely. Looks like someone spent a lot of time on edit, till the feeling was edited out. Compared to this one, her suicidal work is excellent. Im sorry, I know you love her ange, but to me there is no feeling, just descriptions. I often wonder, if there was no name attached, woudl anyone love the work of some o f the lauded poets? I hate emily dickinson too, oh well ;)

oh, as for her hubby? Maybe she burned up all his GOOD work? :D

Maria2394 said:
It is formed nicely. Looks like someone spent a lot of time on edit, till the feling was edited out. Compared to this one, her suicidal work is excellent. Im sorry, I know you love her ange, but to me there is no feeling, just descriptions. I often wonder, if there was no name attached, woudl anyone love the work of some o f the lauded poets? I hate emily dickinson too, oh well ;)
Aye, the magic of a name, the magic of a prize
I love Emily, she had some real classics. But then I have a tendency to love that is what is not accepted in their times.

twelveoone said:
Aye, the magic of a name, the magic of a prize
I love Emily, she had some real classics. But then I have a tendency to love that is what is not accepted in their times.

you like what you like, 1201 -

I heard someone say once,

"My self worth does not depend one iota on what you think of me..." she needed to hear that once or twice ;)

share your favorite emily with me? I try...truly I do and I will

Maria2394 said:
It is formed nicely. Looks like someone spent a lot of time on edit, till the feeling was edited out. Compared to this one, her suicidal work is excellent. Im sorry, I know you love her ange, but to me there is no feeling, just descriptions. I often wonder, if there was no name attached, woudl anyone love the work of some o f the lauded poets? I hate emily dickinson too, oh well ;)

oh, as for her hubby? Maybe she burned up all his GOOD work? :D

You like what you like, indeed. To me, Magnolia Shoals is a beautiful visual piece. Sometimes that's enough of a message for me, but many of my poems are like that so maybe that's why I feel that way.

The only thing I really like about Emily Dickinson is that you can sing most of her poems to The Yellow Rose of Texas. Well, I don't really like that; it amuses me. Anyway I think to read a poet for reputation is probably a smart thing to do because you may discover someone you love--or not. To say a poet is good because of reputation is shallow, imo.

Most people would never have heard of two of my favorite poets if I didn't keep bringing them up here...

:D

:rose:

twelveoone said:
Thank you, it evoked disgust in me, comparing some personal difficulty to the Holocaust struck me as way over the top. Excessive, self-absorbed.

BTW Fly here is the list
Notice anything funny about it?
Pardon me for laughing back.

Back to Plath. Winning a prize post humously seems absurd to me. It smacks of someone having an agenda rather than the work being rewarded for a quality that speaks to a contemporary sensibility.

Maria2394 said:
you like what you like, 1201 -

I heard someone say once,

"My self worth does not depend one iota on what you think of me..." she needed to hear that once or twice ;)

share your favorite emily with me? I try...truly I do and I will

MUCH madness is divinest sense
To a discerning eye;
Much sense the starkest madness.
’T is the majority
In this, as all, prevails.
Assent, and you are sane;
Demur,—you ’re straightway dangerous,
And handled with a chain.

The dangerous Ms. D.

bogusbrig said:
Back to Plath. Winning a prize post humously seems absurd to me. It smacks of someone having an agenda rather than the work being rewarded for a quality that speaks to a contemporary sensibility.

Academics with agendae? Surely you jest! :D

Angeline said:
You like what you like, indeed. To me, Magnolia Shoals is a beautiful visual piece. Sometimes that's enough of a message for me, but many of my poems are like that so maybe that's why I feel that way.

The only thing I really like about Emily Dickinson is that you can sing most of her poems to The Yellow Rose of Texas. Well, I don't really like that; it amuses me. Anyway I think to read a poet for reputation is probably a smart thing to do because you may discover someone you love--or not. To say a poet is good because of reputation is shallow, imo.

Most people would never have heard of two of my favorite poets if I didn't keep bringing them up here...

:D

Yeats? and Henry Taylor? I didn't see Yeats on the list :rolleyes: how good can he be?

twelveoone said:
Yeats? and Henry Taylor? I didn't see Yeats on the list :rolleyes: how good can he be?

Don't get me started on Yeats. :D

He received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1923 though.

Angeline said:
You like what you like, indeed. To me, Magnolia Shoals is a

****Anyway I think to read a poet for reputation is probably a smart thing to do because you may discover someone you love--or not.*****

and my Dear Angeline, that is why I read poets based on reputation and you are most certainly correct in your observations. I have found some I truly enjoy and some I do not ;) youre a smart poet chick, girlie!!

Maria2394 said:
and my Dear Angeline, that is why I read poets based on reputation and you are most certainly correct in your observations. I have found some I truly enjoy and some I do not ;) youre a smart poet chick, girlie!!

I miss you.

:heart:

Pulitzer

bogusbrig said:

I don't know... "Pictures from Brueghel" won the pulitzer after William Carlos Williams died. But then again, if you look closely at the winners and nominees for the poetry pulitizers you might begin to wonder if the entire award structure wasn't based on some type of agenda.

The two finalist for the 1982 pulitzer was "The Southern Cross" by Charles Wright, who was also a finalist in 1983, 1985 and 1996 before winning in 1998 and "Dream Flights" by Dave Smith, also a finalist in 1980.

jim : )

jthserra said:
I don't know... "Pictures from Brueghel" won the pulitzer after William Carlos Williams died. But then again, if you look closely at the winners and nominees for the poetry pulitizers you might begin to wonder if the entire award structure wasn't based on some type of agenda.

The two finalist for the 1982 pulitzer was "The Southern Cross" by Charles Wright, who was also a finalist in 1983, 1985 and 1996 before winning in 1998 and "Dream Flights" by Dave Smith, also a finalist in 1980.

jim : )

I guess it's the nature of prizes and awards Jim. I had a witty off the cuff comment ready and then I thought, I can't think of one prize or award where the winners list is not somewhat bizarre, where some sort of artistic politics rather than quality seem to be the criteria of winning.

bogusbrig said:
I guess it's the nature of prizes and awards Jim. I had a witty off the cuff comment ready and then I thought, I can't think of one prize or award where the winners list is not somewhat bizarre, where some sort of artistic politics rather than quality seem to be the criteria of winning.

Artistic politics is a black art.

Just sayin.

:)

twelveoone said:
Thank you, it evoked disgust in me, comparing some personal difficulty to the Holocaust struck me as way over the top. Excessive, self-absorbed.

BTW Fly here is the list
Notice anything funny about it?
Pardon me for laughing back.
Ummm, that my name's not on it?

I guess you are pointing out that her Pulitzer was awarded posthumously. She was dead at 30-- how many Pulitzers are awarded to writers in their 20's? In 1982, the year of her award, Sylvia would have been 60. I'm not sure how that provides mirth or vindication.

Perhaps I should have included Ms. Plath in that thread awhile back about artists that are more famous afterwards than during their lives. :D

Part 1 More smoke than fire

this shaft of sun we share
as we smoke our final cigarettes
of the day, plays against
sickly pink salmon bricks
of buildings we escape,
we cough as smoke
dissipates in the wind
as night comes to rend
the dreams of sweet
young things as they
turn to cellulite

Daddy, why do you smoke so much
Daddy, it's not good for me

(Damn, Lucky Strikes)
I do it in memory of your mother
since I can't afford to drink
sensibly, I left your lunch
money on the table, shh,
go to sleep, I have to think
and I am busy reading
Sylvia Plath and enjoying
my cancerous holocaust.*

Part 2 but, but piercings...

Daddy is an asshole,
Daddy smokes too much,
Daddy won't let me get the pierce-
ings that I want so much.

Jesus never smoked.
Jesus never smoked, although the devil do.
Jesus never smoked...
but piercings, he had a few.

Nazi devil dad.

Part 3 My, My, My My....pull it sir

Check the Pulitzers,
check the list, it's a little light-
a pennant from the minors
(OK - Frost won it thrice)
for dead writings, from some
alledgely alive. It's
the Grammys Man!
Je-sus! Jorey Graham!
who turn Dante's Inferno
into a grease fire in a frying pan
And...
Did you notice something missing
A name from '46, where did it go?
To hell with me
I will bring it back...
and you can stick the flaming pulitzer
up your buttered ass.

Mispronounced holo-cast

Do you think this is a little over the top?
It needs a title, too. :rolleyes:

twelveoone said:

of buildings we escape,
we cough as smoke
dissipates in the wind
as night comes to rend
the dreams of sweet
young things as they
turn to cellulite

(Damn, Lucky Strikes)
money on the table, shh,
and I am busy reading
my cancerous holocaust.*

Daddy is an asshole,
Daddy smokes too much,

Jesus never smoked.
Jesus never smoked...

Nazi devil dad.

Check the Pulitzers,
alledgely alive. It's
the Grammys Man!
Je-sus! Jorey Graham!
who turn Dante's Inferno
And...
To hell with me
I will bring it back...
up your buttered ass.

Mispronounced holo-cast

This ought to be your day job 1201. Maybe a daily poison poem spot in The New York Times. Cruel, sharp and deadly accurate!

I laughed out load when I first read this.

Last edited:
I'm giving this a bump because 1201's last post was a piece of genius, worthy of the lady herself.

Take that as you find it. :D

bogusbrig said:
I'm giving this a bump because 1201's last post was a piece of genius, worthy of the lady herself.

Take that as you find it. :D

hahahaha, he is a genioius, is he not? :D I laughed mine off too

This is some of the best poetry you have ever written.
twelveoone said:

of buildings we escape,
we cough as smoke
dissipates in the wind
as night comes to rend
the dreams of sweet
young things as they
turn to cellulite

(Damn, Lucky Strikes)
money on the table, shh,
and I am busy reading
my cancerous holocaust.*

Daddy is an asshole,
Daddy smokes too much,

Jesus never smoked.
Jesus never smoked...

Nazi devil dad.

Check the Pulitzers,
alledgely alive. It's
the Grammys Man!
Je-sus! Jorey Graham!
who turn Dante's Inferno
And...
To hell with me
I will bring it back...
up your buttered ass.

Mispronounced holo-cast

yeh, yeh, yeh, I may be a genius, but I know doggeral when I see it.
(Damn, Lucky Strikes) - well that was genius, Luckies paid me $200 to drop their name, does that make me a professional poet...or panderer?

On "Daddy"

Somewhere. I think here, I remember reading Plath refering to "Daddy" as light poetry, somehow it did make me feel a little better. Some good essays here, some quite over the top, but some helpful to me to understand the context of this.
Thanks, all.

twelveoone said:
yeh, yeh, yeh, I may be a genius, but I know doggeral when I see it.
(Damn, Lucky Strikes) - well that was genius, Luckies paid me $200 to drop their name, does that make me a professional poet...or panderer?

It makes you, unlike most poets, able to pay the rent?

Back