Poetry and Lyrics in Motion

tungtied2u said:
I know how much you love Lady Day, but nothing gives me chills like when
Janis Sings Summertime

:cool:

It is addictive, isn't it? :)

Here is a great blues piece by the incomparable Jimmy Rushing, I Left My Baby. It was recorded in 1957 at the same session as Billie's Fine and Mellow, which I posted earlier. It has a marvelous introduction and features solos by Count Basie, Dickie Wells on trombone, Ben Webster AND Coleman Hawkins on tenor sax and Roy Eldrige on trumpet. This is the kind of stuff that informs a lot of my jazz poetry. It's classic jazz, straight up.

:kiss:

Janis was amazing

I agree TT, although I think Try is my favorite by her. Oh look, there I am in the audience. I'm the one flashing the peace sign. :p

Hey, maybe these Janice videos will lure Boo Merengue back--she's a big Janis fan.

I had thought

of creating a youtube poetic thread...but, no one but, me was doing at the time..nice to
see the new creative mind set to visual and poem...found this...

Snowman

Last edited:
bluerains said:
of creating a youtube poetic thread...but, no one but, me was doing at the time..nice to
see the new creative mind set to visual and poem...found this...

Snowman

I'm glad you're here. Keep posting. :rose:

Bag's Groove

Please read after watching. :)

rahsaan
by 2rivers ©

fill it
make a hole bigger
sign it, make a hole sound
bigger

growl in a way that makes men
check the zipper,
their honeys are loose now
just look at them go

joy and prance, all met and spent
the lady in us all gets up
does a twirl with something’s
meant minding and
the floor drops away
the rhythm kicks in, the bass the intent
and the no more way to get home
no matter the guitar not strummed
whacked at

sax is lit is junction between heaven and coal with sugar to remind us or just me or just you that time is hot not cool as the expression glows behind things that could pick up need to feel god and her son demideities hidden in folds about ruffles and buddha and his chum joking smoking back with mohammad poking blue sky vishnu west near flats staring down trees that bear fruit for karma bent jerks rolling up sleeves ready to rob the store of all goods pertaining to jerkhoodmanship on the day this song was blown down the tubes,
up the neck
across the reeds
through the soundboard
into the floor
out unto the sky
hitting me on the way past
big fat whoa and thank you, rahsaan
and hitting me

And thank you, Douglas.

Last edited:
Why I Love Jazz

If this doesn't make you want to move, you're dead.

Joyful Noise

Ok I don't know what they're playing. Tzara? You know the tune? That's Hank Jones on piano, Vic Dickerson on trombone, Buck Clayton on trumpet, Ben Webster on tenor sax, Papa Jo Jones on drums, and Ahmad Jamal on bass.

Back