Poetry that Rhymes: Yes, No, Absolutely Not?

Re: Rhymin Time

Angeline said:
I love using rhyme in poetry and put it--not necessarily at the end of a line or even consistently anywhere... The rhyme doesn't have to be at the end of the line.

I totally agree, Angeline, and offer this poem to the thread:

IS SIGHT SOUND?
by Corbett Buckley

The wind did blow, his breath so light
I dare not say I saw the sight
Of golden hay upon the field
Bow or sway; Did it yield?
Yet movement there caught my eye
Seemed to acknowledge, as if by sigh
The wind its passing overhead
Though windsock laid
As if
dead.

Did it blow?
I don’t know
No sight, no sound
Came my way;
I question still
To this day –
Does sight need
To hear a sound
To make us agree
That sight is sound?

*Lester Young? Hmmm, will have to give a listen*

Last edited:
Opi you better be careful

Lester Young is deeply addictive (she said four years, countless poems, play in works, and an embarrassing amount of book and cd purchases later)

;)

Re: Opi you better be careful

Angeline said:
Lester Young is deeply addictive (she said four years, countless poems, play in works, and an embarrassing amount of book and cd purchases later)
;)

Oh, really? Worse than John Donne? Which, to paraphrase Karen Carpenter: I've only just begun, to read, so much poetry ahead.

What a character he was, this John Donne. Is Lester Young like him?

Opi?

Other people on this board will tell you that asking me about Lester Young is v-e-r-y dangerous, lol. However, in the interest of maintaining my reputation as still having a shred of sanity left (arguably not so after my embarrassing behavior in the Christmas poem thread), I shall be restrained (for me).

Lester was an original, in his music and his life. Definitely a character and also, IMHO, a genius in that he never stopped innovating. (Others might argue that, but I'd fight to prove the point.) He was also a victim of his time and culture, as well as his own self-destructive behavior.

If you want to discover the Prez (Billie Holiday, his dear friend, nicknamed Lester the "President of the Tenor Saxophone," and he, in turn, allegedly nicknamed her "Lady Day"), here are a few resources:

My Poem "Lester Leaps In" (what the hell)

The All Music Guide on Prez

Jerry Jazz Musician on Lester Young (good source for sound samples and other links)

That, for me, was very restrained. :D

Re: Opi?

Angeline said:

Lester was an original, in his music and his life. Definitely a character and also, IMHO, a genius in that he never stopped innovating. (Others might argue that, but I'd fight to prove the point.) He was also a victim of his time and culture, as well as his own self-destructive behavior.

That, for me, was very restrained. :D

ok, that answers that. Opi senses a fascination for self-destructive type characters. John Donne, Lester Young...

LOL

ok, that answers that. Opi senses a fascination for self-destructive type characters. John Donne, Lester Young...

well, ok, but also the poems and music are good.....;)

Back